Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 702 703 [704] 705 706 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860791 times)

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.A "Kaufman" released!
« Reply #10545 on: March 06, 2014, 08:19:43 pm »

Not to mention that it's all but guaranteed to be the body part closest to any attacker, making it even more likely to be attacked by a dumb enemy.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10546 on: March 06, 2014, 08:43:50 pm »

What a pity, a very nice survivor met his end due to some slight overestimation of the distance between him and a bush in comparison to how fast an angry bear could be.

It was a good run, i cleared a couple of streets (i had given some decent melee skills to my survivalist, so he was very good with a knife, nearly all his kills were from the knife while zombies or animals were stuck on bushes for animal afraid of fire, burning bushes or on broken window) , roughly making a zone of 10 buildings really safe as i was starting to move all my stuff i accumulated in the shelter to my forward base, one of the buildings.

A pity during that item carrying stuff (i really should have took that truck with its 2% of fuel) i met an angry bear.

Unfortunately despite my character finally got the animal stuck enough in a bush for him to kill it with his combat knife, the lacerated torso he got from the beast while running to those bushes proved too much, as the poor guy just bled to death at some distance from the building in which i had put my 1st aid and bandages stock.

5 days of surviving kill list, at least the bear is on top
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

now that i think about it, that was my first game without the npc enabled.
I really missed having those insane guys running around with their only goal being wrestling bears finding the worst possible end to their life.

next run i'll re-enable them.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2014, 08:49:29 pm by Robsoie »

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10547 on: March 06, 2014, 09:00:01 pm »

It looks like with the new version, they changed the capacity of gallon jugs from 10 to 15.  But they didn't change the recipes.

I can duct tape 5 plastic bottles together and end up with a jug that holds 50% more.

Then I can duct tape 4 gallon jugs together and end up with a plastic jerrycan that holds only 2/3 as much.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10548 on: March 06, 2014, 09:07:18 pm »

It looks like with the new version, they changed the capacity of gallon jugs from 10 to 15.  But they didn't change the recipes.

I can duct tape 5 plastic bottles together and end up with a jug that holds 50% more.

Then I can duct tape 4 gallon jugs together and end up with a plastic jerrycan that holds only 2/3 as much.

i dont see the problem  :P

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
« Reply #10549 on: March 06, 2014, 09:27:10 pm »

I'm surprised to see that a lot of you are having problems with melee.  If anything I find it easier than usual to kill zombears in melee.  Granted a lot of small critters are hard to hit but that's what thrown rocks or for.
You know, this is a weird visual.  Like, 'gee, this fly is annoying, and I can't nail it with my flyswatter.  Instead of holding onto and controlling a thing to strike the tiny fly with, I think I'll hurl a rock at it.'

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10550 on: March 06, 2014, 09:52:38 pm »

Continuing my tradition of being royally screwed every time I start Cataclysm, in my first game with version 0.A the starting shelter is right in the middle of a town.  In the time it took me to walk downstairs and scavenge the basement, by the time I came back up I found a spitter, tough zombie, and zombie dog breaking in the windows, with two shriekers coming up behind.

This is with default mapgen settings.  Why does this game hate me so much?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #10551 on: March 06, 2014, 10:29:25 pm »

You're just easy to bully.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10552 on: March 06, 2014, 10:31:58 pm »

Might I suggest when you get to balancing it that you cap encumbrance to being able to lower skills to 0 or -1? It doesn't matter how encumbering clothing is, if you can move in it you should be able to reasonably hit a target like a zombie somewhat reliably. Missing 200 swings in a row seems somewhat. Daft.

It seems like every time I try to play the game I end up having to wait until something is fixed to actually play it in an endless cycle. :(

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10553 on: March 06, 2014, 10:53:41 pm »

Corn dog man died, so I have a new character. This one doesn't have bionics, so yay, all natural.

He's been doing pretty good, staking out in the woods with his trusty knife, tent, and a survival book. However, I was walking through a field at night with him, and accidentally stepped on a landmine and exploded. In an extreme change of luck, I survived this, but now I'm almost dead and a stupid cougar is following me. He might die here, but if he does, then at least I got to Day 3.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10554 on: March 06, 2014, 11:08:24 pm »

Might I suggest when you get to balancing it that you cap encumbrance to being able to lower skills to 0 or -1? It doesn't matter how encumbering clothing is, if you can move in it you should be able to reasonably hit a target like a zombie somewhat reliably. Missing 200 swings in a row seems somewhat. Daft.

It seems like every time I try to play the game I end up having to wait until something is fixed to actually play it in an endless cycle. :(
   No it just sounds like you are wearing too much for your skill level. What were you wearing when you missed those 200 swings and against what enemy? Without that it is somewhat hard to decide on how much it does need adjustment if it needs it. Also what weapon where you using?
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #10555 on: March 06, 2014, 11:49:11 pm »

I'm not so sure about that, just because you are up in my face doesn't mean I can't blow you away with a pistol, and in fact it will make it much easier for me to hit you (not accounting for things like nervousness or panic, which would be best accounted for in a separate system).

Actually, if you have a gun, you shouldn't go closer than three to five meters to someone you are threatening. Closer than that and he has a good chance of grabbing your gun and turning it aside. (This is what they constantly do wrong in movies/TV.) So I guess in this game, could you make it so shooting at the square next to you allows using Melee/Dodge against the shot? I'm not sure if zombies should be able to do it though, I mean, are they smart enough to defend against firearms?

As someone passingly familiar with self-defense with firearms, being in close quarters with a pistol isn't going to affect your chance to hit too much. Sure, you'd rather have the target be far away, the better to not be killed by them, but you're not going to be taking a shooter's stance if they're close to you. That's just inviting them to swat the gun out of the way. You'll be drawing your gun back to your side, holding it with one hand, shooting from the hip. Shooting from the hip is usually a bad thing, but within ~15 feet they're so close it's almost as simple as point-and-shoot if you're familiar with your gun.

I could see making a penalty for untrained weapon handlers and with guns that aren't ideal for CQC (Such as long rifles), but it should quickly degrade as you've gained skills in the weapon you're using (Except where it makes sense that the gun would be harder to use in CQC, where your idea makes sense).

Building off of that, if the game should recognize when you've missed several times in a row and warn you about any penalties that may be screwing with your aim. This would solve the problem that people have been running into with unskilled characters by giving them feedback as to why they're not hitting, rather than leaving them to guess.

For example:

"You miss. Your clothing is getting in the way..."
"You miss. Your lack of skill makes using this weapon in close quarters difficult..."
"You miss. Your lack of skill makes using this weapon at long ranges difficult..."
"You miss. Chemicals are hampering your performance..."
"You miss. Your target is particularly hard to hit..."
"You miss. Nothing seems wrong... Maybe you're just unlucky?"
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10556 on: March 07, 2014, 12:03:49 am »

So, how do you utilize mouse-move and mouse-look?

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10557 on: March 07, 2014, 12:46:21 am »

I assume tile version, because it's not in ascii.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10558 on: March 07, 2014, 12:51:46 am »

I had on an MBR vest, an Army Jacket, and a military backpack, iirc. That's it.

Also, something I wondered, why does encumbering your torso affect melee so much? You'd think arm encumbrance would have a bigger effect. I know you want to be using your full body weight and torque of your torso in swings, but still.

EDIT: I think all/some of it was fitted too.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 01:02:14 am by Kaitol »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10559 on: March 07, 2014, 01:07:34 am »

I could see making a penalty for untrained weapon handlers and with guns that aren't ideal for CQC (Such as long rifles), but it should quickly degrade as you've gained skills in the weapon you're using (Except where it makes sense that the gun would be harder to use in CQC, where your idea makes sense).
I really really like the idea of some rifles being so long they get a - to accuracy in melee range.  I imagine something with a 26 inch barrel would be so long yer pretty much bludgeoning your target with it just to get the right end pointing at them.

As for why torso encumbrance hurts melee so much I always figured the melee swing was more in the shoulders, especially with a big two handed weapon.  Since torso coverage seems to include the shoulders, thick clothing could hinder free movement and translate to slowing your swing. 

Then there's stuff like backpacks which slow the torso's turn rate with additional mass, and throw you off balance. Theres also extreme cases with the more non professional packs like school bookbags that pretty much just fly around wildly on one's back throwing everything related to balance and momentum completely out the window for any kind of rapid body movement.  I've gotten in fistfights back in school with my pack still on, it doesn't work.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 702 703 [704] 705 706 ... 1086