Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 694 695 [696] 697 698 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860950 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.A "Kaufman" released!
« Reply #10425 on: March 04, 2014, 02:56:55 pm »

Just a week? I should have tried it before. Now, to make a canabis farm! (do you get more seeds from the plant?)
You should, yes. And IIRC it's dependent on season length currently, so shorter seasons mean shorter growth times and longer seasons mean longer ones (which is a bit strange IMO).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10426 on: March 04, 2014, 03:20:45 pm »

My character I did before the stable release actually managed to get a couple harvests of tomatoes on a farm he was living in. They take a bit to grow but they provide a good amount plus some seeds so it works decently. Though do note that during winter it either is just programmed to say it is too cold or the temperature is actually checked and once it gets cold enough you can't plant more. I do advise you find some kind of frig of some sort. I had found a food cart at the end and took the frig unit from that and threw it on a light frame with a big battery and a solar panel and it kept my food fresh for the rest of my life. Freshness is an actually worry too as the first harvest I got most of it rotted.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10427 on: March 04, 2014, 03:24:55 pm »

My character I did before the stable release actually managed to get a couple harvests of tomatoes on a farm he was living in. They take a bit to grow but they provide a good amount plus some seeds so it works decently. Though do note that during winter it either is just programmed to say it is too cold or the temperature is actually checked and once it gets cold enough you can't plant more. I do advise you find some kind of frig of some sort. I had found a food cart at the end and took the frig unit from that and threw it on a light frame with a big battery and a solar panel and it kept my food fresh for the rest of my life. Freshness is an actually worry too as the first harvest I got most of it rotted.
So, the thing brings both vegetables and seeds? No ned to do extra labors?

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10428 on: March 04, 2014, 03:31:22 pm »

It did not seem to require more labor on my part. I would check the growth every once in a while and eventually they where grown. If fertilizer makes them grow faster then I guess that would be a thing. I didn't even have to till soil since even though once a plant grows the soil returns to normal a farm has way more plots then I was going to use up in a few years.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10429 on: March 04, 2014, 03:33:58 pm »

It did not seem to require more labor on my part. I would check the growth every once in a while and eventually they where grown. If fertilizer makes them grow faster then I guess that would be a thing. I didn't even have to till soil since even though once a plant grows the soil returns to normal a farm has way more plots then I was going to use up in a few years.
Ok, I'm definitely trying this. So many recipes I just couldn't mass produce, and now I will!

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10430 on: March 04, 2014, 03:38:30 pm »

As I somewhat mentioned in my first post about the farming I found you end up having the opposite of problems when farming from the usual. Mainly that of being able to use all of it before it goes away. If it was this easy and the food you harvested lasted it would be op but as it you can easily lose most of your first crop just from not realizing how fast it can rot away on you. I advise being ready to either prepare more food than you are expecting or have a powered frig. Also I noticed that seeds seem to be able to rot or at least I saw some strawberry seeds rot so I assume others can as well.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10431 on: March 04, 2014, 03:42:58 pm »

Just a week? I should have tried it before. Now, to make a canabis farm! (do you get more seeds from the plant?)
You should, yes. And IIRC it's dependent on season length currently, so shorter seasons mean shorter growth times and longer seasons mean longer ones (which is a bit strange IMO).

"Season Length" is really just a common way to describe "long-scale time-compression" in the game, so it makes perfect sense, imo.

It's basically "how many harvests of this can I get before winter hits" as the core of the calculation - if it's a longer time before winter hits, we keep the total number of harvests the same and just increase the growing time (I believe).

Which at least seems less strange than the alternative, imo.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10432 on: March 04, 2014, 03:51:16 pm »

Forget about the cannabis farm. My starting survivor with influenza found a Z-9. Oh, well, new world, and see what do we get.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10433 on: March 04, 2014, 04:25:43 pm »

Something very odd, i downloaded the latest "stable" version for windows  ( cddasdl-current.zip ) and launching the game only result in cdda not responding, i have to close it manually.
Looking around on the cataclysm board, i found this :
http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=5548.0

In which some people have it simply crashing (instead of not responding) , with some users mentionning deleting the "lang" folder solved their crash.

So i deleted that "lang" folder and it worked, cdda launch then immediately without hanging.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10434 on: March 04, 2014, 04:51:50 pm »

It tries to load itself in whichever language your OS is in. And since it doesn't really support non-english characters and the whole multilanguage support wasn't well thought through (it seems), sometimes it flips out when it does that. Deleting its language options makes it default to English.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10435 on: March 04, 2014, 05:41:30 pm »

As I somewhat mentioned in my first post about the farming I found you end up having the opposite of problems when farming from the usual. Mainly that of being able to use all of it before it goes away. If it was this easy and the food you harvested lasted it would be op but as it you can easily lose most of your first crop just from not realizing how fast it can rot away on you. I advise being ready to either prepare more food than you are expecting or have a powered frig. Also I noticed that seeds seem to be able to rot or at least I saw some strawberry seeds rot so I assume others can as well.
If you have Metabolics you can burn all the food into energy relatively easily.  Depending on what you're growing, having a dehydrator and/or refrigerator can give you a permanent stockpile of food.  With a few ranks in mechanics and a bit of welding, you can make a "vehicle" with no wheels, solar panel, a few batteries, cooking station, and fridge.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10436 on: March 04, 2014, 06:22:44 pm »

Man, that was my best run yet. Got to day four, and drove a total of 2 vehicles.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10437 on: March 04, 2014, 07:01:01 pm »

I remember there was some way to preserve vegetables and fruits with a glass jar and some salt water.  There's also a vacuum sealer and similar recipes to preserve food.

Preserving meat is easy.  Salt water, meat and fire make jerky.  Salt water is easy to find in labs.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10438 on: March 04, 2014, 07:51:04 pm »

Is there an easy way to make the play area bigger and the status area smaller?

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10439 on: March 04, 2014, 08:01:08 pm »

There is an option in the options for it actually. Give me a moment to boot the game and check.

Edit: In options under the Interface tab there is the "sidebar style" option which can be Standard or Narrow. You have to restart the game for the change to take affect and while it saves some space it doesn't seem to do as much as I remember it doing. If you can just increasing the window size would probably be the better option which is easier than ever since in the description of terminal width and height (both in the Graphics option tab) it actually tells you how many pixels your current size will yield as it is another thing you have to restart for.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 08:07:30 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Pages: 1 ... 694 695 [696] 697 698 ... 1086