Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 696 697 [698] 699 700 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860526 times)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.A "Kaufman" released!
« Reply #10455 on: March 04, 2014, 11:21:04 pm »

@Iceblaster
   This is what happens when I wait too long. I was going to make a family adventure with four people for a while now and was just waiting for a stable. I think I will wait on that for a bit till I have a better plan for it as it was quite rough. Anyway don't postpone it Iceblaster, I have my longstanding series that I do and probably won't deviate from it for now. Something fresh like what you suggest is a good idea and I think you should be the one to do it. Also NinjaGirlinhat has a good suggestion so maybe roll with that though do whats fun because you won't be able to keep it up if it isn't.

@UristMcDwarf
   I personally tend to stay on the bleeding edge of experimental and I like the world having just ended feel of a new world so I don't think I would be cut out for multiplayer CataDDA. Thank you for the offer but I think I will have to decline.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10456 on: March 04, 2014, 11:39:16 pm »

alright, does anyone wanna multiplayer tomorrow?

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10457 on: March 05, 2014, 12:12:55 am »

@Iceblaster
   This is what happens when I wait too long. I was going to make a family adventure with four people for a while now and was just waiting for a stable. I think I will wait on that for a bit till I have a better plan for it as it was quite rough. Anyway don't postpone it Iceblaster, I have my longstanding series that I do and probably won't deviate from it for now. Something fresh like what you suggest is a good idea and I think you should be the one to do it. Also NinjaGirlinhat has a good suggestion so maybe roll with that though do whats fun because you won't be able to keep it up if it isn't.

I've been terrible anyway with keeping it updated, and hell I was taking a jab at myself for it :P

But alrighty!

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10458 on: March 05, 2014, 12:15:10 am »

Define multiplayer DDA.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10459 on: March 05, 2014, 12:19:45 am »

Define multiplayer DDA.

someone plays for a while, then passes  the save to the next person

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10460 on: March 05, 2014, 12:29:10 am »

That or the old server they had. I don't know if there was one for CataDDA but for Whales era Cata someone had a server for it where everyone could be playing at once though you wouldn't see anyone else. It worked because the map tiles where separate things so you could do what you wanted. It did end up with a very dead world at spawn if the server wasn't reset often enough. The present use is more of a DF succession fort sort of thing.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10461 on: March 05, 2014, 12:48:05 am »

Honestly, thinking back to the old server they had- how hard would that be to set up? I'll be acquiring surplus computerage in the near future here and Cataclysm on a server upon which others had altered the world held a savage appeal to me.

i would just build deathtraps for people

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #10462 on: March 05, 2014, 01:11:56 am »

Haven't looked for it in ages, but there have been a few DDA servers at different points, posted on the DDA forums.
Would suggest scouring the official forums for recent attempts and/or how-tos.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10463 on: March 05, 2014, 08:02:36 am »

Maybe using a hotplate on it would have worked, but you probably would have ended up with corndogs which were both frozen and hot at the same time.
I tried a heat pack, basically the same effect, and you're right, I got a "Frozen bag of corndogs (hot)."

This is bullcrap.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #10464 on: March 05, 2014, 10:42:09 am »

In this version, is the presence of swamps near your only source of water still a game over incoming if you don't move away, far away and hope to find other source of water, or is it safer or at least reasonnably clearable without cheat debug ?

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #10465 on: March 05, 2014, 11:09:26 am »

Maybe using a hotplate on it would have worked, but you probably would have ended up with corndogs which were both frozen and hot at the same time.
I tried a heat pack, basically the same effect, and you're right, I got a "Frozen bag of corndogs (hot)."

This is bullcrap.

Have you tried cooking it from the crafting menu, &?
Like I said before, there's no recipe for cooking corndogs. Looking on the wiki now, I can't find anything about it there, either.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10466 on: March 05, 2014, 11:26:42 am »

I have one in 0.A stable, but my cooking is also rather high.   Checking the .json it appears you need 2 cooking skill to cook them, which seems a little high for something like that.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10467 on: March 05, 2014, 12:37:48 pm »

I'm glad you guys keep working on the game; I certainly keep playing it. Good work! 

Are there any plans in adding functional NPCs, though? Wandering around, exploring and surviving is fun, but after a while, it becomes a bit meaningless. It would be nice if you could find and recruit NPCs, then set up a base. I understand having NPCs follow you around is bound to end in trouble. But it would be nice if you could leave them tend your base. Put them into doing stuff like farming, cooking, building and so forth while you salvage supplies or do other stuff. Once you had a sufficient settlement, you could then elect to retire the character as mayor or something and start a new game doing missions for the settlement you built yourself. :)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #10468 on: March 05, 2014, 12:51:21 pm »

Are there any plans in adding functional NPCs, though? Wandering around, exploring and surviving is fun, but after a while, it becomes a bit meaningless. It would be nice if you could find and recruit NPCs, then set up a base. I understand having NPCs follow you around is bound to end in trouble. But it would be nice if you could leave them tend your base. Put them into doing stuff like farming, cooking, building and so forth while you salvage supplies or do other stuff. Once you had a sufficient settlement, you could then elect to retire the character as mayor or something and start a new game doing missions for the settlement you built yourself. :)
One of the biggest steps towards NPC cleanup and functionality was taken behind the scenes during this last release, which was the creation and implementation of a class that contains players, NPC's, and monsters. Once we finish moving all of our various functions over to that then it's largely just a matter of AI implementation before they work fairly well (though getting the factions working and NPC towns would still be more work after that).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #10469 on: March 05, 2014, 03:53:34 pm »

So, I made a hyper awesome trigger happy black belt. I raided a toxic waste dump and took a nap there, trying to force him to mutate into something.

I woke up with no strength, intelligence, dexterity, or perception. I couldn't escape, even with my new tentacle legs. I just sat there and waited for the radiation to kill me.

Also I like to imagine that if you die of radiation while trying to mutate into an animal, instead of actual death, you instead fully become what you were mutating into and face the unfortunate consequences of the relevant animal's IQ, strength, etc. etc. and are no longer even close to what you were at birth.

Sucks if you died of radiation while mutating into a bear.

Also, somewhere, there is a squid swimming in a pool of sewage who is a master of kung fu.

unrelated but, are you like, Shook's brother?  :P

No, we're not related. While I read the entirety of the Draw your Adventures thread, I found we have a similar sense of humor and a similar way of drawing stuff, mainly stickmen.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 696 697 [698] 699 700 ... 1086