Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 658 659 [660] 661 662 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1859683 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.9 "Ma" released!
« Reply #9885 on: January 27, 2014, 12:13:27 am »

that was the same char who.had 130 kills in 18 days, only 12 were zoms. and most bears.  I mean i dont think so.  but next time in walking all night.

also dig the fear idea.  Fear and the stress it causes.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9886 on: January 27, 2014, 12:59:42 am »

That vaguely reminds me of that Quebec werewolf tower defense game and its fear factor.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9887 on: January 27, 2014, 01:11:53 am »

@akhier
If that were implemented, the overabundance of tailoring mats would lead to everyone having legendary within a few days. But I digress- the horse is indestructible.
   I must actually ask why it would be any different from now? You can already take apart all the stuff I mentioned and all I want is a repeat function like there is for crafting already. I wasn't really going to say anything but what your saying just really confuses me.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9888 on: January 27, 2014, 01:25:10 am »

Of all things, zombie dogs do NOT need a buff. Especially since they generate dynamically.
It's not a combat buff, just a slightly higher chance of howling then with normal zombies (since that's what dogs do after all, they howl and chase things).

Also keep in mind that the goal is to eventually move to a totally static system A-la dwarf fortress, where all groups statically exist on the map and once a season or so it rolls for the formation of new groups through breeding (or the zombification of old groups).
Speaking of zombification, a neat way to get clean corpses off the map could play into that.  Basically, give carnivores and scavengers (dogs/wolves, bears, raccoons etc.) the ability to consume dead bodies/butchered byproducts of animals and the like, cleaning these off the map.  Also, if they eat a zombie or tainted meat, give the first two a chance at being zombified into zombie dogs or zombears.  I kinda wish that materials abandoned outside degraded a bit faster, though; I'm a little tired of picking up hundreds of bones and corpses because the dynamic spawn keeps putting more animals around my house every night, so I don't really bother with cleaning the mess anymore. 

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9889 on: January 27, 2014, 05:45:34 am »

The more I think about it the more I like a fear mechanic I read, (and could swear it came from kevin), but for the life of me can't find the source for: you start off with 'fear counters' for each creature. As you kill them, the counters go down, as you're injured by them, the counters go up. High fear would screw with your accuracy, and would be amplified/diminished with distance. So, that hulk in the distance might be pretty scary, but THEN a zombie dog comes around the corner and your character SHITS HIS BRICKS because FUCK THAT, he remembers what happened last time..and the time before...

That fear idea sounds pretty cool, though it may need some modification based on family.  A fat, tough, or decayed zombie isn't really much more fearsome or different than a normal zombie.  And a Z-9 is just a zombie dog on steroids.  You should probably be able to build up some resistance by family as well as species. 

If you've been slaughtering zombies by the busload for a week coming across a trifflid for the first time is going to be scarier than seeing your first zombie brute.  The zombie brute is clearly just a big zombie, some more care should be taken, but you can safely guess there won't be any surprises.  But a young trifflid?  WTF is that thing and what can it do to me?  Get me the hell outta here!

This fear idea seems pretty cool, actually.

A good way to quantify this would be to divide enemies up into groups (zombies, triffids, robots, etc.) and then assign a familiarity to each of them. Individual types could then have a "homogeneity factor" (kinda meh name, but whatever) between 0 and 1 that determines how much of the group familiarity applies on that individual enemy. So regular zombies would have 1, a boomer could have 0.8 and a hulk 0.3, for example.

You could also have some enemies in several groups. E.g., fungal zombies in both the zombies and the fungal groups. The math might be a bit more complex in this case, though, to ensure that you get appropriate levels of familiarity.

Different groups could also be more difficult to get familiar with, probably by requiring more "familiarity points" to reach a point where you fear them less. Wild animals would be very easy to get familiar with, but eldritch horrors would be very difficult. Zombies could be something in between. The fear should also be of varying strength, so that you don't get paralysed by fear from seeing a squirrel for the first time.

This does have the disadvantage of adding a whole new system with more tags and data for each enemy, though. On the other hand it adds potential for some really cool traits, specific phobias or immunities to fear of certain groups, possibly tied to professions. A biologist could have a starting familiarity with triffids, for example.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9890 on: January 27, 2014, 12:17:07 pm »

I was assaulted in my base while reading by a jumping spider.  ...the tiny kind.  I kept getting warned that there was a monster nearby while reading, when I couldn't see anything and I wasn't taking any damage.  I eventually saw the little speck jumping around in my stockpiles and tried to kill it. But I couldn't melee it, not sure what to do I went back to my book.

It was listed as hostile and kept bouncing around me while I was reading, interrupting it.  I imagine it would occasionaly hop up into my book and make little spider noises at me and hop away before it could be squished.  I eventually got fed up and threw the book at it.

Big Book of First-Aid 1  Annoying little spider bastard 0.

Sometimes I love this game.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9891 on: January 27, 2014, 12:18:33 pm »

I was assaulted in my base while reading by a jumping spider.  ...the tiny kind.  I kept getting warned that there was a monster nearby while reading, when I couldn't see anything and I wasn't taking any damage.  I eventually saw the little speck jumping around in my stockpiles and tried to kill it. But I couldn't melee it, not sure what to do I went back to my book.

It was listed as hostile and kept bouncing around me while I was reading, interrupting it.  I imagine it would occasionaly hop up into my book and make little spider noises at me and hop away before it could be squished.  I eventually got fed up and threw the book at it.

Big Book of First-Aid 1  Annoying little spider bastard 0.

Sometimes I love this game.
I can picture this whole scene in my head, from the annoyingly overgrown but still harmless jumping spider to the hurling of the book in frustration.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #9892 on: January 27, 2014, 12:53:28 pm »

@akhier
If that were implemented, the overabundance of tailoring mats would lead to everyone having legendary within a few days. But I digress- the horse is indestructible.
   I must actually ask why it would be any different from now? You can already take apart all the stuff I mentioned and all I want is a repeat function like there is for crafting already. I wasn't really going to say anything but what your saying just really confuses me.

I think my point would be that it'd make the already-present problem much more pronounced; not everyone has the stomach to actually grind out legendary over a couple sittings, even if it is very possible. Making doing so easier would bring the issue forefront.
I'm trying to be brief, as I've railed against the excessive amount of clothing mats more than once and I'm sure a couple people are tired of seeing me talking about it again. (indestructible horse)

Fear mechanic

I wonder if there's a way to tie events following an encounter to the initiator. Say a zombie dog spots you and starts yapping, gets a few hits in before you squash it's skull, but has done enough damage to hobble you and almost get you killed by the other surrounding zombies/partially starving from being trapped/getting an eyeshot before you step on a landmine etc?
Fun story: you see a couple random survivors get torn apart as you scavenge. You fear the zombies more, but you gain familiarity with humans and their deaths- survivors aren't so scary anymore.

Also, what about fearing non-creature entities? Say guns, loud explosions, acid rain? Phobias as you mentioned, could they be applied to other things? Hehe, playing a schizophrenic could get more fun.

btw, inb4 'Omg shitting myself OP'
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 12:56:33 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9893 on: January 27, 2014, 12:55:59 pm »

I think phobias would be great negative traits, even if this familiarity mechanic is made.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9894 on: January 27, 2014, 01:01:32 pm »

Well, in-game you'd have an internal "fear gauge" that'd rise when in proximity to things you fear, and fall when in proximity to things you are comfortable with. Agoraphobes would have theirs rise steadily as long as they're outdoors, and lower gradually when indoors, claustrophobes would have it the other way around. Hydrophobes would be scared to be near pools, rivers, and to a lesser extent, bottles of water. Et cetera, et cetera. Similarly to this list of "phobias", defined broadly by item, creature, or map feature group, the character could have things that help him calm down. He could become randomly attached to a superficial piece of gear that has been with him for a long while, and having it nearby would have a calming effect. He could feel safe whenever he carries loaded guns, or explosives, or just holds a weapon in hand. Maybe seeing cats, normal dogs, or other people would help - or maybe not, etc.

It's a big layer of complexity if it's ever implemented, but the resulting dynamics could be quite interesting.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

aenri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9895 on: January 27, 2014, 01:22:53 pm »

Meanwhile in Ukraine...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9896 on: January 27, 2014, 01:46:04 pm »

Ok that's pretty awesome.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9897 on: January 27, 2014, 02:51:05 pm »

Wow.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9898 on: January 27, 2014, 02:53:11 pm »

Are the blue Zs cops?  I mean not zombie cops?  Or is it a metaphor :X

Also LongJohns are awesome
PKs DF Mod!

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9899 on: January 27, 2014, 03:08:24 pm »

I fell into a sinkhole.  Is there any way to get out of it?
Pages: 1 ... 658 659 [660] 661 662 ... 1086