Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 657 658 [659] 660 661 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1859791 times)

Ak-Sai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.9 "Ma" released!
« Reply #9870 on: January 26, 2014, 11:18:30 am »

I, personally prefer static spawn concept, rather than dynamic. Whole idea of "zombies coming out of nowhere" might be good for game set in huge town with close to infinite number of Z's. In other cases - static spawn looks great and reasonable. I agree that static spawn mode have to be filled with more challenges, stronger (or strenght  progressing) enemies, roaming hoards of enemies, lairs that spawn another lairs around themselves (representing spreading of their inhabitants) etc.
Feed 'em please)

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9871 on: January 26, 2014, 12:41:07 pm »

I too support static spawn, pretty much for the same reason Akhier does: progression.
If I don't feel like I'm achieving anything by killing zombies, then I don't see much of a reason to fight, and because of the nature of the game, play. Static spawn gives me a goal to strive for, a light at the end of the tunnel. With dynamic, zombies are a chore you slog through so that you can escape, heal, and do it again. Static spawn gives you a purpose to killing zombies, so that you can be safe. The clear town is similar to the treasure chest at the end of the dungeon. You take what you can, and then you move on.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9872 on: January 26, 2014, 02:22:48 pm »

The good thing with dynamic mode is when you build a fort in the middle of a town and then start making loud noises. fun slaughter.
If Migration/Hordes is implemented in static mode it would be quite interesting as one walks around in what is assumed to be a safe area when the horde arrives.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9873 on: January 26, 2014, 03:19:10 pm »

I may have found a reproducible crash relating to weapon modifications in 0.9-3618-g1e8e60c, looking through changes since that version don't appear to mention it so I figured I'd throw it out there.

It seems that modifying a gun to have a spare magazine as well as a RM121AUX shotgun causes the game to quietly crash to desktop when you try to reload the gun.  The spare mag alone works, and the shotgun alone works, but something about both of them causes the game to shit a brick.

Save here if it's helpful.  It's conveniently next to my piles of guns ammo and mods in case folks think some other combinations might not work.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #9874 on: January 26, 2014, 03:53:48 pm »

It appears that if you use a purifirer and have both fey eyes and night vision, the fey eyes can go away, but not the vision.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9875 on: January 26, 2014, 05:38:32 pm »

Also for static we are looking at implementing a few things that should make it a little more difficult:
1)Roaming zombie hordes, as mentioned. These will provide a bit more late game stuff and make it so that just because an area was safe last week doesn't mean it's safe now.
2)Zombie howling, especially on zombie dogs. This should work for a bit of a chain thing, where zombies have a lesser chance to howl if they hear a zombie howl, thus bringing down the horde if even one spots you.
3)Loads of corpses scattered on the ground in cities, some of which are actually corpses and others which are dormant zombies, which makes it a little more difficult to know exactly when a horde is nearby and when it isn't.

As for the purifier, it won't remove any starting traits, so if you started with NV then it won't remove it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9876 on: January 26, 2014, 05:55:30 pm »

Also for static we are looking at implementing a few things that should make it a little more difficult:
1)Roaming zombie hordes, as mentioned. These will provide a bit more late game stuff and make it so that just because an area was safe last week doesn't mean it's safe now.
2)Zombie howling, especially on zombie dogs. This should work for a bit of a chain thing, where zombies have a lesser chance to howl if they hear a zombie howl, thus bringing down the horde if even one spots you.
3)Loads of corpses scattered on the ground in cities, some of which are actually corpses and others which are dormant zombies, which makes it a little more difficult to know exactly when a horde is nearby and when it isn't.

As for the purifier, it won't remove any starting traits, so if you started with NV then it won't remove it.

Of all things, zombie dogs do NOT need a buff. Especially since they generate dynamically.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9877 on: January 26, 2014, 07:28:32 pm »

Just make and carry a 12 gauge pistol, blam no more zombie dog, course i tend to stay out of towns and just hunt for food.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9878 on: January 26, 2014, 07:51:40 pm »

Of all things, zombie dogs do NOT need a buff. Especially since they generate dynamically.
It's not a combat buff, just a slightly higher chance of howling then with normal zombies (since that's what dogs do after all, they howl and chase things).

Also keep in mind that the goal is to eventually move to a totally static system A-la dwarf fortress, where all groups statically exist on the map and once a season or so it rolls for the formation of new groups through breeding (or the zombification of old groups).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #9879 on: January 26, 2014, 07:53:16 pm »

Heh, wasn't a fan of the dead bodies- just means more pulping chores. And more clothing mats.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9880 on: January 26, 2014, 10:02:27 pm »

As long as the performance doesn't degrade from having a few thousand rags I don't really mind that every zombie has clothes on. I do think that some automation of material processing would be nice though. For instance if I just raided a bunch of dead scientists I can end up with quite a few soldering irons and what not. It would be nice to be able to just choose to disassemble all items with the same letter. This would also help with taking apart string for thread.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9881 on: January 26, 2014, 10:45:49 pm »

I just slept in a semi.  FU wiki, that was terrible advice

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9882 on: January 26, 2014, 11:35:05 pm »

Either something has changed with melee combat or the wakizashi is nearly an immortality sword.  At 6 melee skill I'm blocking seemingly 90% of the attacks that come my way, and doing a fast attack 50% of the time I attack.  I just faced down a hulk in melee (for 4 turns in the middle of the road) and wasn't touched.

Any thought of making particularly powerful attacks nullify block chances?  It seems kinda silly in my head to be completely parrying punches from a L4D tank with what amounts to a long knife.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 11:38:13 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #9883 on: January 26, 2014, 11:53:23 pm »

@akhier
If that were implemented, the overabundance of tailoring mats would lead to everyone having legendary within a few days. But I digress- the horse is indestructible.

@pisskop
Could they've been following you before you bedded down?

Well, maybe these hulks are guilty of heinous-level 'telegraphing their attacks' warcrimes. Also, 6/10 is nothing to sneeze at if 10 is legendary-PhD level.

The more I think about it the more I like a fear mechanic I read, (and could swear it came from kevin), but for the life of me can't find the source for: you start off with 'fear counters' for each creature. As you kill them, the counters go down, as you're injured by them, the counters go up. High fear would screw with your accuracy, and would be amplified/diminished with distance. So, that hulk in the distance might be pretty scary, but THEN a zombie dog comes around the corner and your character SHITS HIS BRICKS because FUCK THAT, he remembers what happened last time..and the time before...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 11:55:37 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9884 on: January 27, 2014, 12:07:29 am »

I kinda figure the entire sword is maybe 3/4ths the width of the hulk's fist though :P

That fear idea sounds pretty cool, though it may need some modification based on family.  A fat, tough, or decayed zombie isn't really much more fearsome or different than a normal zombie.  And a Z-9 is just a zombie dog on steroids.  You should probably be able to build up some resistance by family as well as species. 

If you've been slaughtering zombies by the busload for a week coming across a trifflid for the first time is going to be scarier than seeing your first zombie brute.  The zombie brute is clearly just a big zombie, some more care should be taken, but you can safely guess there won't be any surprises.  But a young trifflid?  WTF is that thing and what can it do to me?  Get me the hell outta here!
Pages: 1 ... 657 658 [659] 660 661 ... 1086