Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 654 655 [656] 657 658 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860180 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.9 "Ma" released!
« Reply #9825 on: January 24, 2014, 08:58:35 am »

These things have sort of gone into a temporary limbo due to the disappearance of our hired full-time coder (Don't worry, we only paid him for the time he was here).

That Metal Gear Zombie guy was a giant tool, but I have to say, his blithering criticism is starting to sound a little valid.  Is there a plan for what to do if you can't find another coder?  I doubt Kickstarter would cotton to another fundraiser.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9826 on: January 24, 2014, 09:05:29 am »

These things have sort of gone into a temporary limbo due to the disappearance of our hired full-time coder (Don't worry, we only paid him for the time he was here).

That Metal Gear Zombie guy was a giant tool, but I have to say, his blithering criticism is starting to sound a little valid.  Is there a plan for what to do if you can't find another coder?  I doubt Kickstarter would cotton to another fundraiser.
Well, the project is opensource. Maybe it needs some centralized organization? I.e. some place for all willing coders to converge to and coordinate their efforts? The existing development crew can act as directors, so that there is a plan that is followed instead of branching out into a billion interesting ideas.

And don't look at me, I'm as disorganized myself as can be. I can just see how such lack of organization can hurt progress.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9827 on: January 24, 2014, 09:19:33 am »

Well thay are planing a bounty system to pay out reward for new bits of code.

I reckon that can be expanded into a kick starter like pool for late ideas.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #9828 on: January 24, 2014, 09:40:57 am »

Well, the project is opensource. Maybe it needs some centralized organization? I.e. some place for all willing coders to converge to and coordinate their efforts? The existing development crew can act as directors, so that there is a plan that is followed instead of branching out into a billion interesting ideas.

And don't look at me, I'm as disorganized myself as can be. I can just see how such lack of organization can hurt progress.

I assume he means a plan about what to do about the money and goals. Kickstarter people payed almost $10,000 and were promised scenarios, z-levels and a mod manager as well as a bunch of backer-related NPC stuff and we have none of those (unless mod manager is actually in now, someone mentioned something about it a few pages ago).

"It's open source, random willing people should work on it for free" is only a valid option *before* you take money.

I hope a bounty system works out, but if they couldn't get all that in for $7,000 with a dedicated coder... I'm not sure they can get random people to do it for $2000 (or whatever they have left).

Edit: I don't mean to suggest you've accomplished nothing, obviously there's been a ton of stuff added and the game is much improved. But none of the major bullet points except (arguably, depending on what you meant by plug and play) graphics support have been finished.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 09:44:54 am by BurnedToast »
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9829 on: January 24, 2014, 09:45:56 am »

Not sure about "manager", but the mod support seems to be working now.

And no, not "should". Never "should". But, it is open-source, and the game is popular enough, so capable and willing people could work on it for free, especially if there is a feature they want to see that the project lacks. It beats starting a new project that does all of the same things.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9830 on: January 24, 2014, 02:58:52 pm »

Yeah mod support and most of the accompanying manager functions were finished off by an awesome coder who stepped up to do the work, meaning we've finished 2 out of 4 main kickstarter goals. (We've also done a fair bit of the required NPC rewrite base, which is needed for the NPC rewards). It also leaves us with a little over 2k of money that is earmarked to only be used to finish the remaining kickstarter stuff.

That said I'm pretty certain that we can finish the kickstarter things eventually with a bounty system. I know for a fact that we have plenty of coders out there who are willing to handle some of the bigger tasks for free, and I'm pretty sure that with a bit of financial motivation they could be moved from working on some of the easier system replacements to some of the harder ones (I know for a fact that I would be :P).

As for central organization, the biggest difficulty with that is the fact that the majority of our codebase is pretty transient, which makes it night impossible to organize much. It's fairly common for potential devs to drop in for a month or two, then leave the community. I mean we've lost several contributor devs with git merge powers and even an owner dev (TDW, who is on the forums but doesn't dev anymore) over the last several months. Add into that the fact that often the amount of time a dev spends helping is inverse to the difficulty of those tasks (meaning devs that pick up harder tasks often leave sooner) and you run into a bit of problem with organization. I will agree that yes, organization can be a good thing, but when you are having people join or leave the project on a weekly or even daily basis, it's difficult to do much on the manpower side. That said we have done plenty of organization on the planned features side, and have plenty of outlines drawn up and nailed down on where we are going with the game and are slowly chipping away at them. It's just a bit of the DF syndrome I guess, where we have very large plans for the game but only have a relatively small consistent coder-base to work on them, so it takes a while to get anything done (especially since that main coder base is also our git-merging base for the most part).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9831 on: January 24, 2014, 03:16:24 pm »

Technically they've lost me as an "active" dev as well. Since I'm mostly writing letters now. I'll be setting up the bounty system in late February, probably (I'll be out of the country for several weeks before I can finish).

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #9832 on: January 24, 2014, 04:14:37 pm »

Just wondering how the idea where you can have Survivors spawn somewhere else(( police in a police station, mutated lab escapee  etc))
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9833 on: January 24, 2014, 05:30:34 pm »

Jesus. I just found two Clownberry bushes, and apparently picking one made a Clown spawn at me.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #9834 on: January 24, 2014, 05:44:45 pm »

Jesus. I just found two Clownberry bushes, and apparently picking one made a Clown spawn at me.
the fuck? Is this in the main game or a mod or what? Clownberries?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9835 on: January 24, 2014, 05:52:22 pm »

the fuck? Is this in the main game or a mod or what? Clownberries?

Re-read the code in the quote. It's vanilla, except spoiler-proofed.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9836 on: January 24, 2014, 06:10:56 pm »

Ah yes, the venrable clown. Since forever ago said entity has been the stand in for all things spoiler on the Bay12 forum. Though generally it relates to the deep spoilers of DF and its candy (yet another stand in) it has been used as a "spoilers be here" marker on many other games.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Ivan Issaccs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9837 on: January 24, 2014, 06:19:49 pm »

I assume they still only spawn on fungal tiles but I have never yet found said Clownberry bushes.
I always enjoy getting those immigrants that are like "I can make soap and potash and lye and cheese and-" then I cut them off with a "Hope you like bricks!" as I turn them into a mason.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9838 on: January 24, 2014, 06:29:39 pm »

I have only seen them while debug teleporting around to test out tilesets. They are quite rare or I am quite unlucky.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9839 on: January 24, 2014, 06:56:24 pm »

The whole forest just tried eat me.  by forest I mean field.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 654 655 [656] 657 658 ... 1086