Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 653 654 [655] 656 657 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860264 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.9 "Ma" released!
« Reply #9810 on: January 23, 2014, 12:52:39 am »

From an outsider perspective, it strikes as might having something to do with how quickly stuff is getting added/changed. Tilesets are outdated before they're finished, no?
That's certainly a part of it, and also the simple fact that while we might include a few of the more popular tilesets in the download, none of the tilesets are actually "official", but are supported by individual forum users. As for overall tileset compatibility improvements being slow, it's a combination of most of our devs playing with ASCII instead of tiles, many of them using console versions because they run faster on Linux (which most of our main devs use a form of), and because UI code is a pain to write.
That's just the thing, too. The another thing, as it were. The thing I am trying to add solves exactly that. A "default" tile page, so that tilesets don't need to be updated, and can use default ASCII graphics that match the tileset in style - like Dwarf Fortress does - for anything that the tileset does not itself define.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9811 on: January 23, 2014, 05:46:44 am »

From an outsider perspective, it strikes as might having something to do with how quickly stuff is getting added/changed. Tilesets are outdated before they're finished, no?
That's certainly a part of it, and also the simple fact that while we might include a few of the more popular tilesets in the download, none of the tilesets are actually "official", but are supported by individual forum users. As for overall tileset compatibility improvements being slow, it's a combination of most of our devs playing with ASCII instead of tiles, many of them using console versions because they run faster on Linux (which most of our main devs use a form of), and because UI code is a pain to write.
That's just the thing, too. The another thing, as it were. The thing I am trying to add solves exactly that. A "default" tile page, so that tilesets don't need to be updated, and can use default ASCII graphics that match the tileset in style - like Dwarf Fortress does - for anything that the tileset does not itself define.

I think there might be a small issue with that: the tilesets vary in resolution, ranging from 16x, through 24x, to 32x.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9812 on: January 23, 2014, 05:49:03 am »

I think there might be a small issue with that: the tilesets vary in resolution, ranging from 16x, through 24x, to 32x.
So do Dwarf Fortress graphics sets. They just have tilesets to match. Here, it's even simpler as the tileset maker already works with the matching tile size.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #9813 on: January 23, 2014, 06:13:40 am »

So do Dwarf Fortress graphics sets. They just have tilesets to match. Here, it's even simpler as the tileset maker already works with the matching tile size.

Alright, then. Anyway, you might try to scavenge the ASCII that fits the tilesets from Deon's tileset, it already utilizes those partially.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9814 on: January 23, 2014, 07:05:50 am »

So did the compiling on windows with C::B thing get worked out? Cause I would be interested in that.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9815 on: January 23, 2014, 07:13:31 am »

Yes, it did. I found the libraries I needed, though in all likelihood I won't be able to avoid the DLLs.

It's really rather straightforward, in retrospect. Just follow the guide on the forum (with the addendum for GetText et al), download SDL, SDL_ttf, and SDL_image dev kits and VC libraries, and use the existing project dependencies as a guideline.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9816 on: January 23, 2014, 07:16:50 am »

Simple tends to be one of the hardest things to find.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9817 on: January 23, 2014, 07:19:44 am »

I can post a more detailed setup procedure if you really need it.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9818 on: January 23, 2014, 07:26:35 am »

No, I was just commenting on how life tends to work. Rereading my post I can see it sounding like I was saying I couldn't figure it out.

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9819 on: January 23, 2014, 01:30:28 pm »

why not add the graphical Tiles also for the map?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9820 on: January 23, 2014, 01:33:46 pm »

Map, objects, anything. Graphical tiles exist for everything. The problem is that the tileset has to define and provide all of those tiles, or else anything that isn't defined shows up as "unknown".

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9821 on: January 23, 2014, 07:34:15 pm »

Yeah, one of the biggest draw of developing with ASCII for graphics is that you don't have to worry about art. Its actually the biggest reason DF is in ASCII. Its hard to develop a constantly changing game if you have to wait for the art to catch up with every change. The only reason we have such nice graphical tilesets for DF is because it has such a big following and it has taken a good amount of time between released versions so the art can catch up. If I was to make a tileset for CataDDA I would be ignoring the experimental build until I had the most recent stable finished. It is amazing that CataDDA is developing so fast but it is very much a moving target for any one making a tileset.

Mookzen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9822 on: January 23, 2014, 08:58:37 pm »

Speaking of fast development, any news on the NPCs and the Z-levels ?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #9823 on: January 23, 2014, 10:09:19 pm »

Speaking of fast development, any news on the NPCs and the Z-levels ?
There's been some advancement on NPC's, but not much. These things have sort of gone into a temporary limbo due to the disappearance of our hired full-time coder (Don't worry, we only paid him for the time he was here). IIRC GlyphGryph is working on setting up a potential bounty system with our remaining money, which will definitely include both of those things and should encourage some more work in those directions.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #9824 on: January 24, 2014, 05:23:41 am »

So I have a video up and the first 18 minutes is me going through how you determine your damage and to hit. If anyone that actually has a clue of about it wants to take a look and see if I messed up any of the details that would be good so I know I am not misinforming people. I should have it right as I went off of the code but things happen. The video is here. I try to make what is going on in the code understandable so hopefully it worked.
Pages: 1 ... 653 654 [655] 656 657 ... 1086