Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 591 592 [593] 594 595 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861194 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #8880 on: November 12, 2013, 01:33:03 pm »

Tried it again, still unable to survive past the first few hours.

I'd enjoy this game if I was actually capable of surviving.

We'd really love to help you with whatever is getting you stuck. What's getting you killed? Zombies? Disease? Food/water?
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8881 on: November 12, 2013, 03:45:31 pm »

We'd really love to help you with whatever is getting you stuck. What's getting you killed? Zombies? Disease? Food/water?
Zombies. I try to get food, equipment and whatever, see a zombie, run, suddenly, zombies coming at me from EVERY FUKKEN DIRECTION!
A single zombie is not a threat, even to a character with zero points in anything, aside from the default 8 stats. Find a bush, lure it onto it, then punch it twice. If not dead, retreat, find second bush, punch it there. If still not dead, retreat to first bush. You are faster then a zombie, though not greatly so. However, bushes and windows are the great levelers. If you can find a single window and a nice bashing tool, you can take on almost indefinite numbers of regular zombies out of the gate. With some training, a window can yet you take on any of the non ranged zombies plus boomers. Being unable to see is a pain, but if you know a horde is coming through one point, you just hold your ground and smack em as they appear next to you.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8882 on: November 12, 2013, 04:50:49 pm »

Zombies. I try to get food, equipment and whatever, see a zombie, run, suddenly, zombies coming at me from EVERY FUKKEN DIRECTION!

Minimize noise - zombies are drawn to it - and don't go beyond the buildings on the edge of the city. You go in too far, you're surrounded. Also, if you find some stronger booze, like whiskey or vodka, it's not very useful as a foodstuff, you don't need morale that much early on, but it is a GREAT weapon when made into a Molotov.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8883 on: November 12, 2013, 04:54:51 pm »

This isn't actually possible - if there were no zombies where you were previously, running thataway should yield a direction from which there are no zombies, and thus any zombies should only be able to come from whatever direction you saw the zombie in.

Since zombies have less vision than you do, this also means that you must NOT be fleeing immediately upon seeing the zombie, or else nothing would be following you at all.

If you would like useful insistence, accurately describing the problem you're facing is a crucial step.

But since that information is absent, I'll first ask the questions to insure that you yourself are using the information available to you.

Are you using the compass to note monsters that appear within your vision range but beyond the end of your screen?
Are you using the view key ('x') to look around when you've spotted a monster, and plot an escape route that is unopposed?

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8884 on: November 12, 2013, 05:05:55 pm »

Hmm, so the first thing to remember about zombies is that they're stupid. They prefer to walk in a direct line towards their destination, and if they run into something solid that can be smashed they'll stand there and smash it rather than walk around. This is extremely useful, since you can stand behind something that will slow them down, such as a bush, sapling, chair, or broken window, and and strike them repeatedly. For even better results, light the bush/sapling/chair on fire with your starting matches ('a'ctivate them). Just remember that fire will spread if there's something flammable in an adjacent square, so lighting a chair in a house on fire may not be the best plan.

The second thing to remember about zombies is that they aren't omniscient. They have a vision radius about half as far as yours, near as I can tell. They can also hear noises, which will cause them to come investigate the area, and can smell you. In both cases they're more or less guessing at where you're at - they hunt by sight, sound and smell just causes them to go check an area for prey. Smell is relatively short ranged, but lingers so a zombie who finds your scent path may start following you by smell. Sound is calculated on a turn by turn basis but is very long range. You generate about 6 sound just by walking (unless you have the Ninjitsu martial art iirc), which isn't much of a problem. Smashing a window or breaking down a door is very loud though, you can expect to at least have every zombie in the house become aware of your presence if you break in. Edit: this also goes back to zombies are stupid. Zombies make noise too - smashing things is just as loud if a zombie does it as it is if you smash them. You can even use this to set traps. For example, if you light a house on fire it will make a lot of noise as it burns and collapses which can lure nearby zombies to their death.

The third thing, and this may be a bit of a spoiler but whatever, is that zombies will eventually heal if you kill them. You can keep them from getting up by 's'mashing or 'B'utchering their corpses. It takes a while (a few hours at least) before they recover though, so don't panic. You can clear an area before needing to smash the zombies.

The most important thing to note about zombies is that there are different types. Normal zombies are pushovers, there are just a lot of them. Grabbers are a little tougher, but still not that tough. Brutes are dangerous and should be fought with caution - burn them with fire or lure them into terrain obstacles. Boomers spew bile which obscures your vision and explode loudly when you kill them. Shriekers scream. Zombie dogs and skeletons are fast. Spitters and Shockers can shoot acid and electricity respectively. Hulks... kill you. Try not to get stuck fighting them.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 05:18:18 pm by Grendus »
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8885 on: November 12, 2013, 06:00:48 pm »

Are you using the compass to note monsters that appear within your vision range but beyond the end of your screen?
Are you using the view key ('x') to look around when you've spotted a monster, and plot an escape route that is unopposed?

Heh, also, [m] is for map. Glyph's right, we gotta start at the basics..

Next time you go to play, log onto the irc & ask whomever's on spur o the moment questions. They'll be ecstatic to help, (I write this from experience).
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 06:02:24 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8886 on: November 12, 2013, 07:52:34 pm »

Heh, also, [m] is for map. Glyph's right, we gotta start at the basics..

Next time you go to play, log onto the irc & ask whomever's on spur o the moment questions. They'll be ecstatic to help, (I write this from experience).
Glyph: A bit of note. I've done the sarcophagus waste quest-line and...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Also bug(?)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8887 on: November 12, 2013, 08:02:27 pm »

Dont try until radiation heals you.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8888 on: November 12, 2013, 08:06:18 pm »

> Cleansuit.
> Hazmat suit.
> Didn't notice any radiation from the first..err, ~50 turns I spent in there, and the active badge was still green upon examination.
..And my speed was ~106'ish. So I can't fathom how I got swarmed..
Spoiler: Which means to say (click to show/hide)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8889 on: November 12, 2013, 08:37:40 pm »

Yus, but passive regen. I mean really, passive regen? No harm to you? It means tanking the whole thing.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8890 on: November 12, 2013, 09:25:22 pm »

...huh.
Are you being sarcastic or did something happen to Tiruin so that radiation healed him? If it is the latter, I want that.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8891 on: November 12, 2013, 09:31:59 pm »

Slime Mutagen my friend, Slime Mutagen.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8892 on: November 12, 2013, 09:32:25 pm »

Want.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8893 on: November 12, 2013, 10:05:24 pm »

Want.

Learn your cooking. You can make slime mutagen (and its precursor, regular mutagen) out of blob gobs. You'll need to find a slime pit to get a lot of those though. You can also make it out of sewage samples, which you can get from sewage treatment centers with a little Computers skill.

I decided to take on a regional school. Is it supposed to start crumbling as I fight? It kind of has an epic quality, slaughtering child zombies as the school collapses around me, but it's kind of weird as well.

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8894 on: November 12, 2013, 10:13:52 pm »

Want.
Learn your cooking. You can make slime mutagen (and its precursor, regular mutagen) out of blob gobs. You'll need to find a slime pit to get a lot of those though. You can also make it out of sewage samples, which you can get from sewage treatment centers with a little Computers skill.
Thanks. I'm off to cook some radioactive goo~
Pages: 1 ... 591 592 [593] 594 595 ... 1086