Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 590 591 [592] 593 594 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861180 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #8865 on: November 11, 2013, 12:58:56 pm »

Ugh. I got too close to a swamp and now the swamp creatures are spreading like the goo did. I'm 18 mapsquares away from the nearest swamp, thought it would be safe. Oh well, guess safehouse 3 isn't as safe as I thought.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8866 on: November 11, 2013, 01:06:52 pm »

They might've followed you. Try hanging around & killing them for a while?

Also, any nearby forests obscuring vision?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8867 on: November 11, 2013, 01:43:47 pm »

THe only swamp creature I'm scared of is the wasp. I like frogs and love the giant crayfish. So much delicious meat.

wer6

• Bay Watcher
  • SCOUT DOESNT WANNA GIVE A KISS
    • View Profile
    • Pirate baaaayyyy!~
« Reply #8868 on: November 11, 2013, 01:45:31 pm »

Im scared of those damn mosquitos, of all size's.
Just before leaving, Psysquid quickly summons a Burrito in his mouth.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8869 on: November 11, 2013, 02:31:17 pm »

Are giant swamp wasps worse than the ones that infest houses? I usually go in and chop up the paper walls of city giant wasps, out of some vague plan to collect the stingers to make Insect Mutagen (though I already have Insanely Strong so it's a moot point by now) and they really aren't that tough. Just go in with moderately heavy armor and a fast melee weapon, you can usually swat them before they can hit you.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8870 on: November 11, 2013, 02:35:34 pm »

They're the parasitic kind of wasp. It lays larvae under your skin and after incubation you're basically crippled until they all crawl out.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8871 on: November 11, 2013, 11:25:35 pm »

Really? o_o
I don't know whether I should call that cool or horrifying.
Coolifying? Hmmm.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8872 on: November 12, 2013, 03:29:03 am »

They're the parasitic kind of wasp. It lays larvae under your skin and after incubation you're basically crippled until they all crawl out.
Ahhh, dermatiks! Yes, they can be quite !!FUN!! at times.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8873 on: November 12, 2013, 10:06:40 am »

Ahh, dermatiks. Yea, seen those. By sheer dumb luck I killed both with arrows. Phew.

Edit: According to the wiki, they can't inject if you have more than 2 cut protection, so I guess I'm safe. Even naked, I think I have more than that between my Heavy Scales and Thick Skin mutations alone.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 10:09:51 am by Grendus »

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8874 on: November 12, 2013, 10:53:18 am »

That might be the old cut protection- iirc 2 cut used to be worth more.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8875 on: November 12, 2013, 11:02:51 am »

Dermatiks have since been buffed a bit in the experimental, now they can penetrate any armor with a cut resistance of less then 4 (4 = cut resistance of iron).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8876 on: November 12, 2013, 12:00:28 pm »

Ah, cut resistance, not protection. So protection doesn't matter- material does.
Badges of honor

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8877 on: November 12, 2013, 12:22:29 pm »

Tried it again, still unable to survive past the first few hours.

I'd enjoy this game if I was actually capable of surviving.

Most of the people make the mistake of approaching this game traditionally - see a zombie, kill a zombie.

Take it slow - only get food and drink if you need it urgently, don't fight unless necessary, stick to the edges of cities. If you play Static, you will be able to clean cities out over time, but no need to rush it.

Unless your shelter is in the middle of nowhere with no access to food or water or right in the middle of a massive city/swamp, leave it, but otherwise it's a pretty good hideout, especially when you pull down the curtains.

Increasing the starting points a bit is also a good idea, I'm going with 8 and 14 trait points.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8878 on: November 12, 2013, 01:06:59 pm »

Pft, forget restraint, go for 25. Or more w/ cheatengine/debug.

Also, exploits. Exploits for days.

Stay away from shockers, spitters, hulks, more than one-zombie fights, use the ol' window headshot conga line, grab a shopping cart and do the same but mobile (free hits for days!), carry rocks and become an olympic shot-putter (should seem familiar if you play DF adv mode), yadda yadda.

I like archery, so should you.
Badges of honor

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8879 on: November 12, 2013, 01:20:27 pm »

I like archery, so should you!
Archer 3 + Mechanics 3 = repeating crossbow. A wonder of modern enginering. Silent, with common ammo once you knock up fabrication a bit. The tricky bit is finding a spring, but keep an eye out for trap piles and you can just dismantle a bear trap for one.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.
Pages: 1 ... 590 591 [592] 593 594 ... 1086