Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 574 575 [576] 577 578 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861133 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #8625 on: November 01, 2013, 04:15:34 pm »

That's... not many folders. But I'm not you. For your question I'd say go to the official forum. I'm sure someone has asked in the past.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8626 on: November 01, 2013, 06:51:17 pm »

I considered making pulling the weapon free or leaving it an option, but rejected it for the reason already given.  Tons and tons of prompts would be even worse than a straight penalty.  Although... a "stab and leave in" attack might be reasonable, especially since stuck in weapons slow monsters.  Stabbing and leaving in weapons might be a viable strategy with light weapons.
Perhaps make it a toggle? Defaults to always recover, and in some sort of option menu, you could choose either Always recover or Abandon stuck weapon.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8627 on: November 01, 2013, 06:52:37 pm »

... is it possible to get a rock stuck?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8628 on: November 01, 2013, 07:05:22 pm »

... is it possible to get a rock stuck?
I think only weapons with cut value can get stuck.

Speaking of which either the bug with weapons being too easy to get stuck in was fixed recently or 4 cutting weapons skill makes a huge difference in not getting your weapon stuck, because I just made a Rising sun and I am absolutely destroying with it. It hasn't been stuck in a zombie yet despite relatively average strength scores.

The flavor text in menus is a nice touch too.  I just imagine the approaching horde and the character coolly draws the sword before yelling "the sun rises!" as the sword bursts into a fountain of flame, and the zombies fall like wheat before a scythe.  Makes me wish I could draw.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 07:07:54 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8629 on: November 01, 2013, 08:21:16 pm »

Rising Sun is a slicing weapon so it only gets a .25 stuck modifier, which helps. Sigh, I need to find a broadsword or katana, the machete is starting to get irritating. Though it is nice once I burned away the surface goo most of the goos stopped spawning.

Edit: Strike that. Opened a window, and goos POURED in. HOLY CRAP!
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 08:24:45 pm by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8630 on: November 01, 2013, 09:03:49 pm »

Just tried the Experimental Build.  As soon as I came within walking distance of a house, caught sight of a Possessed Doll.

Dexterity 12 character with three levels of Melee and Dodge swinging an entrenching tool.  The Doll moves twice as fast as me, almost never misses and makes knife-worthy wounds.  I think I landed three hits before it killed me, doing one or none points of damage each time.

I don't know what kind of bullpen you professional-devs discuss these things in, but you would do well to invite in some non-superhardcore players.  This is exactly the kind of thing that turns me off from playing what used to be a fantastic roguelike.

Oh look, second game started with a mob of Terminators right outside the Shelter.  That's just great.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 09:08:28 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8631 on: November 01, 2013, 09:06:30 pm »

I think they're meant to be ridiculously OP, since it's the halloween update. Spookily OP. :P

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8632 on: November 01, 2013, 09:11:13 pm »

I think they're meant to be ridiculously OP, since it's the halloween update. Spookily OP. :P

I only belatedly realized this, I've just gotten kinda used to every update introducing some new bullshit OP mob.

Really, the Werewolf should have been the tipoff.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8633 on: November 01, 2013, 09:12:02 pm »

Just tried the Experimental Build.  As soon as I came within walking distance of a house, caught sight of a Possessed Doll.

Dexterity 12 character with three levels of Melee and Dodge swinging an entrenching tool.  The Doll moves twice as fast as me, almost never misses and makes knife-worthy wounds.  I think I landed three hits before it killed me, doing one or none points of damage each time.

I don't know what kind of bullpen you professional-devs discuss these things in, but you would do well to invite in some non-superhardcore players.  This is exactly the kind of thing that turns me off from playing what used to be a fantastic roguelike.

Oh look, second game started with a mob of Terminators right outside the Shelter.  That's just great.

Did you happen to read the homepage when you downloaded?

Happy Halloween, Everyone!

I hope you enjoy the ability to be a spooky g-g-g-ghost, and the other surprises in today's experimental!

Unfortunately, the Official Release is getting delayed - we got a big wave of pretty serious bugs reported in the last week that we want to knock down before we have the audacity to call something Stable. We should be declaring a new Release Candidate soon though, and after people get a few days to take a crack at it we'll hopefully be in better shape for an official version. Aiming for sometime late next week for the official release now.

So we have a neat different game to play with for a couple of days.  It has some major OPed professions to play with too.  They all cost 0 starting points.

I recommend you try playing as a Dream Stalker profession.  It's easily as OP as most of the stuff you'll run into (was for the stuff I saw, though I didn't get possessed dolls when I tried it, I got Vampires, Terminators, a few other things.  But as a DS you start with some pretty neat armor and Freddy Krueger claws.... even without skill to use them those claws hurt bad guys. 

If you haven't tried it yet, 'Dream stalker' profession* is to die for.  Freddy Krueger ain't scared of no ghost undead anything.

* Be sure to take the 'perks' Ugly, Insomnia, and Heavy Sleeper for full immersion (just kidding!)
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8634 on: November 01, 2013, 09:12:47 pm »

I only belatedly realized this, I've just gotten kinda used to every update introducing some new bullshit OP mob.
That's only happened once that I can remember, and it might not even be a thing that properly exists yet.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8635 on: November 01, 2013, 09:17:28 pm »

That's only happened once that I can remember, and it might not even be a thing that properly exists yet.

Poor Aqizzar is one of those players who seems especially blessed by the RNG, Granorke.

Activate it. I bet it's full of candy.

I happen to read descriptions.

Oh yeah, and there was another bunker right next to this one I found the mininuke in. This one had some turrets, but guess what. Two more nukes.

Game, what's wrong with you? Are you OK?
Jesus, this makes me feel like my game hates me. I have to fight tooth and nail for every plastic bottle that i want.

I have to fight for every nail, and then the nail ends up killing me.

This could be him, only he'd be expressing more pain than humor.

He's one of those players who has a heck of an unusually rough ride right from the start as a rule, and it usually gets worse from there if it doesn't end immediately.  He's shares some interesting stories of his luck before.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8636 on: November 01, 2013, 09:37:43 pm »

I express pain as humor.  I did kinda fly off the handle at first there though.

I don't know what it is about me and roguelikes, Cataclysm in particular, but I always feel like I'm standing out in the snow watching a wild party through a fogged window.  Sometimes I wonder if I'm even playing the same game.

Although I will say that this Halloween version is so far 3 for 4 in Terminator welcoming parties loitering outside the shelter.  Are they supposed to regenerate?  Doesn't seem very Terminator-y to me, unless they're the liquid metal guys.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8637 on: November 01, 2013, 09:43:10 pm »

Hey, is the experimental back to normal now?

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8638 on: November 01, 2013, 09:46:37 pm »

I just downloaded an hour ago and no, it is not anything like "normal".

There also appears to be a bug, where pressing 'Q' to quit on the main menu causes the program to crash instead of close cleanly.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8639 on: November 01, 2013, 09:49:30 pm »

I just downloaded an hour ago and no, it is not anything like "normal".

There also appears to be a bug, where pressing 'Q' to quit on the main menu causes the program to crash instead of close cleanly.
Since when was MDickie working on DDA?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 574 575 [576] 577 578 ... 1086