Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 572 573 [574] 575 576 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861467 times)

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #8595 on: October 31, 2013, 10:41:43 pm »

Anyone have a way to remove the halloween monsters from the game?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8596 on: October 31, 2013, 10:43:38 pm »

Anyone have a way to remove the halloween monsters from the game?
I believe it's only the most recent experimental that has them. So just get an older one?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8597 on: October 31, 2013, 10:43:55 pm »

How?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8598 on: October 31, 2013, 10:47:03 pm »

Well, the stable doesn't have them yet, and you should be able to manually enter the download links for older versions from the github (I'm not sure on that but I think you can).
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 10:48:57 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8599 on: October 31, 2013, 10:50:49 pm »

Idea for weapons getting stuck. Do it like all the other "Do you want to stop" warnings, except, "do you want to pull at your stuck weapon". Yes, make one retrievial attempt, no, leave it, or pull until free.

New idea for an improvised weapon. Knife grenades. Requires a hacksaw, components would be a grenade, a combat knife or perhaps a spike, and superglue. Recipe found in Knife Fighters notes, not sure on skill req. Works in two parts. Can either activate, which would turn it into a normal grenade, excepting that it has combat knife throw damage. Or, use it as a melee weapon, if it gets stuck and you don't pull it out, letting go of it in the body would pull the pin, giving you 5 turns to run.

The only issue with this is that, as I said, my weapon is getting stuck every single time. That's not much of an exaggeration. With a warning, all it would mean is that blades go from useable-but-risky to completely unuseable because you have to hit 'Y' every other swing.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8600 on: November 01, 2013, 12:09:55 am »

Idea for weapons getting stuck. Do it like all the other "Do you want to stop" warnings, except, "do you want to pull at your stuck weapon". Yes, make one retrievial attempt, no, leave it, or pull until free.

New idea for an improvised weapon. Knife grenades. Requires a hacksaw, components would be a grenade, a combat knife or perhaps a spike, and superglue. Recipe found in Knife Fighters notes, not sure on skill req. Works in two parts. Can either activate, which would turn it into a normal grenade, excepting that it has combat knife throw damage. Or, use it as a melee weapon, if it gets stuck and you don't pull it out, letting go of it in the body would pull the pin, giving you 5 turns to run.
Make it an option? Alternatively, the first attempt to pull is free, move cost wise, so if you would just be able to pull it out, you do.

The only issue with this is that, as I said, my weapon is getting stuck every single time. That's not much of an exaggeration. With a warning, all it would mean is that blades go from useable-but-risky to completely unuseable because you have to hit 'Y' every other swing.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8601 on: November 01, 2013, 12:41:19 am »

Wow uh. Does the latest build really have zombies and terminators really spawn on you? Not to say I didn't kick ass as a ghost. But come on.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8602 on: November 01, 2013, 12:51:56 am »

Wow uh. Does the latest build really have zombies and terminators really spawn on you? Not to say I didn't kick ass as a ghost. But come on.
You can start as a terminator or agent. Which, for free, gives you a whooping big gun and nice suite of bionics.

Also, could we perhaps have a "wacky" mode in the options? which would keep the professions from halloween, as well as the additional monsters, but would only use them if wacky mode was on. I'd imagine they'd need an additional flag for wacky, but not sure.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8603 on: November 01, 2013, 12:58:59 am »

If you haven't tried it yet, 'Dream stalker' profession* is to die for.  Freddy Krueger ain't scared of no ghost undead anything.

* Be sure to take the 'perks' Ugly, Insomnia, and Heavy Sleeper for full immersion (just kidding!)
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

evilcherry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8604 on: November 01, 2013, 02:07:02 am »

The terminator probably worked for SCP.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8605 on: November 01, 2013, 08:58:35 am »

Hrm, so I probably should have asked this before I lit it on fire, but is there any use for a slime pit besides a giant target factory?
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8606 on: November 01, 2013, 09:52:12 am »

Also, could we perhaps have a "wacky" mode in the options? which would keep the professions from halloween, as well as the additional monsters, but would only use them if wacky mode was on. I'd imagine they'd need an additional flag for wacky, but not sure.
It's going to be a mod that comes with the game once the World Builder is complete and let's you choose mods to include with a given world.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8607 on: November 01, 2013, 10:13:24 am »

It's going to be a mod that comes with the game once the World Builder is complete and let's you choose mods to include with a given world.

Love it! slowclap.jpg.

Hrm, so I probably should have asked this before I lit it on fire, but is there any use for a slime pit besides a giant target factory?

There was some random common loot in the last one I torched, but little more than magazines. I don't think they're worth bothering with and AFAIK you can't actually clear them.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8608 on: November 01, 2013, 10:19:05 am »

The Halloween content (along with the 4th of July content) will likely be making a return with the mod manager, defaulting to off of course, and possibly rarely spawning as easter eggs, but hidden behind a Crazy Cataclysm option. (Ninja'ed by GG :P )

The base stuck penalty is the attack cost of the weapon used.  Cost scales with the *ratio* of cutting/bashing damage.  There are attack type flags that heavily influence severity of sticking, ranging from none (improvised weapon, like a shovel, 2x multiplier), to chop (machete, 1x multiplier), stab (spear, dagger, 0.5x multiplier), and slice (katana or saber, 0.25x multiplier).  We have a bug where a bunch of cutting weapons are missing their flags, and being counted as improvised.  The appropriate skill (stab or cut) reduces stuck cost by an average of 10.5 moves per level.  The additional penalty for weapon sticking is capped at 2x the move cost of the weapon.  If the calculated penalty beats a strength check, the weapon is pulled out of your hands.

You get feedback on how long an action actually took in the number to the right of your speed display, and a log message indicating if it's slowing you down significantly.  Suggestions on improving this feedback would be appreciated.  Now that I look at it, the threshold for reporting that it's sticking is based on a number of turns (50), that should probably be based on percentage of weapon speed, fast weapons losing 20 move per attack is pretty significant.

One thing mentioned was that it happens every time.  The penalty is intentionally not highly variable, because then it'd be even harder to predict, and if it had a very wide range it would be very difficult to establish that a particular strength/skill/weapon combination was relatively safe against being stuck and/or pulled from your hands.

I considered making pulling the weapon free or leaving it an option, but rejected it for the reason already given.  Tons and tons of prompts would be even worse than a straight penalty.  Although... a "stab and leave in" attack might be reasonable, especially since stuck in weapons slow monsters.  Stabbing and leaving in weapons might be a viable strategy with light weapons.

Practical advice: Use a lighter/faster weapon, stuck penalty scales with weapon speed, but the reduction from skill is constant, so lighter weapons can have their penalty eliminated more easily.  Also prefer stabbing weapons, they have a much lower penalty than chopping weapons.  Machetes are some of the worst weapons for this, and they should be, they're terrible at being weapons.  Also hybrid cutting/bashing weapons are less subject to the stuck penalty.  Try out new weapons on weak enemies and pay attention to the actual move cost per attack.  As your skill increases you can move to heavier weapons without suffering the penalties.

The main cause of the stuck penalty being totally out of controll previously was a bug where it was applied twice.  When I fixed that I cleaned up the code a lot to where it's VERY clear how it works now.

Slime pits are pretty much totally useless unless you have a very recent build, and even then it's just that blobs now drop "scraps" that can be used in a handfull of crafting recipes.  Still mulling over putting something at the bottom of the pit, possibly that would let you disable slime spawning.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8609 on: November 01, 2013, 11:21:41 am »

Suggestion on the slime pits - rather than having the Slime Mutagen use sewage samples, have it require drops from the slimes. Slime mutations aren't exactly great , but there are some decent ones there. Robust Genetics and Regeneration come to mind, Dextrous and Smart are both nice, and Fast Metabolism is surprisingly useful for a negative mutation (food is easy to come by, and being able to use more food for morale bonuses means less rolling the dice with "medicinal" substances).

It would be very nice if you could disable the spawning of world events by overcoming them. I was sorely disappointed when I went to all the trouble of killing a Fungal Bloom and learned that it was basically pointless - the Fungaloids and Fungal Zombies I had been trying to get rid of in the first place were still everywhere. Killing the queen of an ant hive, smashing a Fungal Bloom, burning a Slime Pit, etc should allow the player to remove world items that they want to get rid of.
Pages: 1 ... 572 573 [574] 575 576 ... 1086