Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 552 553 [554] 555 556 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862214 times)

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #8295 on: October 22, 2013, 03:23:51 pm »

You clearly haven't tried static spawn in a motorcycle, then.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8296 on: October 22, 2013, 04:09:22 pm »

Do hand and foot armor actually count?  I was never truly sure, since you don't have a damage indicator for hands or feet...
If your hand or foot gets hit it redirects the damage onto your arm or leg body part, similar to if your eyes or mouth gets hit it redirects onto your head (though the chance is fairly low of getting hit their in the first place).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

casserol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8297 on: October 22, 2013, 04:31:57 pm »

hai guyz, thought I'd give you a little head up on my last character.

Eli Price Darp is doing well. Very well. It's summer day 3. I cleared one and a half little towns, I'm full of supplies, got decent combat skills (8 melee and 8 bashing), very good reinforced everything clothing (practically taking no damages from normal combat), I'm fuller and fuller of bionics and I'm at a 38% failure rate for some of the complicated ones (diamond cornea, wired reflexes) due to my 13 mechanics skill and a total of 17 int on various drugs and stim.

I recently had a very fun moment
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Got my mechanics skill from 4 to 13 simply by reparing the truck  :o. I accidentaly hit the rename button while reparing and came up with "Rolling Riot" . Not sure if it's good practice to rename your car before you customize it, but it was an accident !

At the time of writing this I just finished filling the tank at the nearest gas station. Next objective is a lab for some purifiers for my mutations (oh, I didn't tell you about my mutations ? I had forgotten that mutagen= +3 mutations while purifier= -1 . I now got hooves, head bumps and i'm very ponderous) .

That game is great.

And for the technical part  :P can you/how do you change a tileset ? I remember the beautiful Rushmik RuST tileset. Anyone knows if Rushmik's still around ?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8298 on: October 22, 2013, 05:00:34 pm »

And for the technical part  :P can you/how do you change a tileset ? I remember the beautiful Rushmik RuST tileset. Anyone knows if Rushmik's still around ?
The various working tilesets can be found here, if it's not there then it most likely doesn't exist. (Rushmik's tiles is not one of these, he appears to have never made the transition to C:DDA).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8299 on: October 22, 2013, 05:28:52 pm »

You clearly haven't tried static spawn in a motorcycle, then.
I have, actually. Unless I'm not moving far enough, static spawn and max sie cities don't seem to mix well together. But then again I consistently start outside a shelter. Doesn't change much, as the game plan is to find a shopping cart, load it with everythign it can carry as fast as possible, then board up a building and start hermit life. Then, as my first game found out, shift a rack to start making a kill funnel for when you crack open the front that is almost straight up ? after 3 days of reading and crafting, and watch the zeds go OHYEAH through all the boarded up windows.

For those wondering, the plan was to make a 2 wide tunnel, fill it with nailboard traps, then crack open the front doors and let them funnel in while I pot shotted them with arrows on my shortbow.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Squill

• Bay Watcher
  • Decided to play DF, I guess I'm back now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8300 on: October 22, 2013, 05:30:51 pm »

Question: How should I secure a house? I'm tired of being woken by zombies.
I have not posted in almost a year
But now in iambic verse I am here

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8301 on: October 22, 2013, 05:31:47 pm »

Meet any special zeds when you did that?

You ever hear that old joke about different branches of the armed forces 'securing' a house?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8302 on: October 22, 2013, 05:38:24 pm »

Yep. Lots of spitters, shockers, smokers everywhere, good number of swimmers, and a fair few brutes. However, no necromancers, hulks, or, now that I come to think of it, many regular zombies. I will now have to go back to static spawn and check, because I'm ot sure now.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8303 on: October 22, 2013, 05:56:21 pm »

You ever hear that old joke about different branches of the armed forces 'securing' a house?
I want to now.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8304 on: October 22, 2013, 06:01:47 pm »

It's "funnier" when it's told by someone in the military, here's a good version.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8305 on: October 22, 2013, 06:58:30 pm »

It's "funnier" when it's told by someone in the military, here's a good version.
Just follow the Navy Lieutenant's steps and you should be able to deal with any zombies.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 07:01:39 pm by Steelmagic »
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8306 on: October 22, 2013, 10:21:35 pm »

There are several approaches. Duct taping the windows up will keep your smell from escaping the house through them, which should keep them from breaking in through the windows. That will force them to come through the doors. Set up some traps there, board up the doors so you'll be awakened by the "thump" as they try to smash through, and you'll be awakened by them approaching rather than attacking you.

In static spawn mode, you can simply clear away all the zombies within 60 tiles or so of your house. Zombies outside that space won't act (at that distance, time doesn't actually pass), so no zombies will approach your house. Wild animals won't break doors or windows, so as long as there's no path from outside to your bed you're golden.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8307 on: October 22, 2013, 10:30:12 pm »

The version of cataclysm I was using had no regular zombies when at max or near max city size in static spawn. Will check latest version.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8308 on: October 22, 2013, 10:44:15 pm »

'Regular' zombies or zombies?
Badges of honor

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8309 on: October 22, 2013, 11:41:17 pm »

A picture's probably the best way to explain this bug.  I am not sure how I triggered it or if it is reproducible.  I'd just killed four zombies in a row on the windowsill with my Karate, in case we're playing Clue in bug report form.

For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.
Pages: 1 ... 552 553 [554] 555 556 ... 1086