Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 537 538 [539] 540 541 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863065 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #8070 on: October 17, 2013, 12:49:10 pm »

I just realized that, if you have a steady water supply and a spare fluid container, broth beats cooked veggies by a pretty huge margin. At the cost of 10 nutrition, you get 50 quench, plus if you want, you can always upgrade it to woods soup.

If you have a steady supply of water, how does broth beat the cooked veggies?

You lose 10 nutrition in exchange for.... something you have an infinite (or at least "steady") supply of (quench).

It could save on carry capacity I guess but how much food/drink do you carry around that it ever makes a difference? (especially if you have a cart or something to shove it into).

As for woods soup, it consumes 2 chunks of meat (100 total nutrition), 2 veggies (80 nutrition), and 2 broth (60 nutrition, 80 if you ate the veggies) for a meal that gives 140 nutrition. That's almost half the nutrition of the ingredients... terrible. The only advantage is that it lasts a while (120h) but meh, that's not long enough to store long-term for emergencies and short-term food is very easy to get.

I think chunks of meat actually have more morale boost then the soup too (especially if you eat the meat hot since woods soup does not have the eat hot flag)

I don't know about woods soup, but broth does certifiably have a eat hot flag. And - time and safety. I do have infinite water supply - it's called a river. It takes a short walk, but I've already been ambushed by wolves, cougars and what-have-you on the way there before. It's infinite, but it's not easily accessible.

Broth lasts much longer than cooked veggies (120 vs. 50), allows you to simultaneously quench both your thirst and your hunger at once (it's important for me, I often snack while driving), and unlike meat, doesn't try to run away from you or to maul you while you go look for it.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8071 on: October 17, 2013, 12:57:32 pm »

Food will go bad before you manage to eat it - this is a simple fact about bears in particular.  Having food that keeps good longer by itself is a big deal.  Having it fill thirst and hunger at once is also much nicer than it first sounds.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8072 on: October 17, 2013, 01:01:57 pm »

Food will go bad before you manage to eat it - this is a simple fact about bears in particular.  Having food that keeps good longer by itself is a big deal.  Having it fill thirst and hunger at once is also much nicer than it first sounds.

As I mentioned, it's wonderful when you want to have a snack and a drink while driving.

Suggestion:

It's a small thing, really, but kinda obvious and would be nice to have. Why can't we use, y'know, FIRES, to warm food up? I mean, I make myself a nice hot tea, but five hours later I'm back at my shelter and I didn't finish my tea. Into the fireplace it goes! Boom, hot tea again.

EDIT: Opossums need to be fixed. I have 3 melee 3 cutting and 4 dodge, and I and an opossum keep attacking each other and neither can hit the other. Meaning I have a Cutting Weapon-training exploitssum.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 01:06:55 pm by scrdest »
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8073 on: October 17, 2013, 01:04:29 pm »

Adding to the mythos of the bathroom moose, I'd like to add a new mythic creature - the Bank Bear. I didn't know you could keep a bear in a safe deposit box.

The hoboni is complete. 11 carts welded together, powered by an electric motor with a welding rig and cooking unit attached to the back. Now I'm exploring the apocalypse in style!
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8074 on: October 17, 2013, 01:06:07 pm »

Adding to the mythos of the bathroom moose, I'd like to add a new mythic creature - the Bank Bear. I didn't know you could keep a bear in a safe deposit box.

The hoboni is complete. 11 carts welded together, powered by an electric motor with a welding rig and cooking unit attached to the back. Now I'm exploring the apocalypse in style!
Pics or didn't happen.  On both.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #8075 on: October 17, 2013, 01:08:39 pm »

Bears can show up in the oddest places. I think I ran into one while raiding a grocery store, or some other store once. I had a shotgun out thankfully.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8076 on: October 17, 2013, 01:25:41 pm »

I just accidentally open my factions page. I'm totally naming a band after a not-really-existing faction in Cataclysm.

The Electric Republic.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8077 on: October 17, 2013, 01:30:21 pm »

I think a name generator for the factions, like DF does, could be fun.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8078 on: October 17, 2013, 01:33:03 pm »

I think a name generator for the factions, like DF does, could be fun.
There is nothing wrong with a faction name generator that gives us The Electric Republic.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8079 on: October 17, 2013, 01:39:08 pm »

I already ate the bear, and I can't figure out how to take screenshots in Crouton (Ubuntu on a Chromebook). I'll post once I figure it out (and replace the welding rig... friggin' zombies).
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8080 on: October 17, 2013, 01:46:21 pm »

I already ate the bear, and I can't figure out how to take screenshots in Crouton (Ubuntu on a Chromebook). I'll post once I figure it out (and replace the welding rig... friggin' zombies).

To the OOCQ thread it goes.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8081 on: October 17, 2013, 02:54:40 pm »

Erm... awkward question. I decided to try the "craft until unable" option to clean some water. Now I can't make myself stop! Is there any way to stop crafting short of closing the game?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8082 on: October 17, 2013, 02:56:41 pm »

Erm... awkward question. I decided to try the "craft until unable" option to clean some water. Now I can't make myself stop! Is there any way to stop crafting short of closing the game?
Crafting water should require you to choose a container.  Pressing "escape" should cancel out.  Pressing 5 or . should also stop it, if you can press it in time to interrupt.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8083 on: October 17, 2013, 03:07:40 pm »

Esc does not work, 5 does not work, and now every time I try to start the character up I get a segfault. /sigh.

Does anyone know which save file repeated actions are stored in? I can't find it.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 03:21:36 pm by Grendus »

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8084 on: October 17, 2013, 03:13:00 pm »

How do I transfer water from jerry cans into the metal tank on my car?

Edit:
Also, is it possible to load a bike or quad bike or even just a shopping cart onto trucks?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 03:20:51 pm by guitarxe »
Feeling down? Click Here!
Pages: 1 ... 537 538 [539] 540 541 ... 1086