Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863048 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #8055 on: October 17, 2013, 10:45:51 am »

I just realized that, if you have a steady water supply and a spare fluid container, broth beats cooked veggies by a pretty huge margin. At the cost of 10 nutrition, you get 50 quench, plus if you want, you can always upgrade it to woods soup.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8056 on: October 17, 2013, 10:49:37 am »

How fast does it go bad?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8057 on: October 17, 2013, 10:52:22 am »

I just realized that, if you have a steady water supply and a spare fluid container, broth beats cooked veggies by a pretty huge margin. At the cost of 10 nutrition, you get 50 quench, plus if you want, you can always upgrade it to woods soup.
Soup is OP.  If you can get it.  Meat Soup gives like 150 nutrition and 100 quench, while veggie soup gives 90 nut and 100 q.  If you can stock cans of meat soup, you can sit on it for emergencies.  That's usually how I construct vehicles, by hording soup and spamming construction and soup.

I just wish you could put soup into sealed jars to prevent spoiling...

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8058 on: October 17, 2013, 10:57:51 am »

If I vehicle parts lying in a pile outside, do they take damage from acid rain? Or only once they have actually been installed onto a vehicle?
Feeling down? Click Here!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8059 on: October 17, 2013, 11:01:37 am »

Installed parts do not take acid rain damage, they're considered a type of terrain.  Vehicle parts lying on the ground without a roof will be completely destroyed by acid rain IF the tile spawns an acid glob.

This is why garages are important!

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8060 on: October 17, 2013, 11:05:58 am »

I think they do take damage from acid rain if they're lying on the ground, but not if they've been installed. You can prevent acid rain damage by putting them in a cart/wheelbarrow.

Construction on the hoboni continues. Currently it's solar powered, though I may go with a small engine for thematics. It's a tripod, with 11 carts welded together and a welding rig/kitchen RV, and some blades on the front (or at least, there will be blades if I can figure out where I put the freaking lawnmowers - I swear stuff keeps disappearing offscreen).

Edit: make that 9 carts - forgot about the mounted fusion gun and bed.
Edit2: make that 10. I can sleep in the seat.
Edit3: Back up to 11. I can put a box in the same space as the turret.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 11:26:54 am by Grendus »
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8061 on: October 17, 2013, 11:33:58 am »

Wow. Close call. Very close. I've been hunting for a welder to fix my Asskicker's armor and I got cornered in a shop. I got out with two infected wounds, my right arm hanging by like two sinews, but I finally managed to drive like crazy through the city and race back to my evac shelter. As I accidentally pull a handbrake, damaging the doors, I think it's finally the end of the day.

Cue wolf under the shelter.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8062 on: October 17, 2013, 11:35:36 am »

You can read by lightstrips and glowsticks if they're in your inventory.  And lightstrips have like a 36 hour lifespan or something.
Ah, so it has to be in the inventory. Mystery solved.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8063 on: October 17, 2013, 11:49:04 am »

We're in the "enough features, now get it stabilized" phase of development.  The next stable release will happen when we can't find any more game-breaking bugs.  See https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues?milestone=6&state=open for current list of bugs that are holding up the release.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8064 on: October 17, 2013, 12:02:56 pm »

In the experimentals, if you have the tools needed to purify water by cooking (which you'll need either way), you will want to pick up oat & cornmeal whenever you find it. It's pretty awesome - oatmeal is about as filling as cooked meat, can be upgraded to be even better with any fruit and comes in 16 servings per packet and does not require a liquid container, and cornmeal comes in six servings per one meal made, making it have 36 nutrition per a single portion of cornmeal used in recipe.

The downside is that it uses up water, so it is not a viable option if you have to save on it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8065 on: October 17, 2013, 12:11:51 pm »

In the experimentals, if you have the tools needed to purify water by cooking (which you'll need either way), you will want to pick up oat & cornmeal whenever you find it. It's pretty awesome - oatmeal is about as filling as cooked meat, can be upgraded to be even better with any fruit and comes in 16 servings per packet and does not require a liquid container, and cornmeal comes in six servings per one meal made, making it have 36 nutrition per a single portion of cornmeal used in recipe.

The downside is that it uses up water, so it is not a viable option if you have to save on it.
Swimming pools are fantastic for water.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8066 on: October 17, 2013, 12:12:59 pm »

We're in the "enough features, now get it stabilized" phase of development.  The next stable release will happen when we can't find any more game-breaking bugs.  See https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/issues?milestone=6&state=open for current list of bugs that are holding up the release.

Cool, thanks!
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #8067 on: October 17, 2013, 12:14:15 pm »

If you have a steady supply of water, how does broth beat the cooked veggies?

You lose 10 nutrition in exchange for.... something you have an infinite (or at least "steady") supply of (quench).

It could save on carry capacity I guess but how much food/drink do you carry around that it ever makes a difference? (especially if you have a cart or something to shove it into).

As for woods soup, it consumes 2 chunks of meat (100 total nutrition), 2 veggies (80 nutrition), and 2 broth (60 nutrition, 80 if you ate the veggies) for a meal that gives 140 nutrition. That's almost half the nutrition of the ingredients... terrible. The only advantage is that it lasts a while (120h) but meh, that's not long enough to store long-term for emergencies and short-term food is very easy to get.

I think chunks of meat actually have more morale boost then the soup too (especially if you eat the meat hot since woods soup does not have the eat hot flag)
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8068 on: October 17, 2013, 12:16:39 pm »

Installed parts do not take acid rain damage, they're considered a type of terrain.  Vehicle parts lying on the ground without a roof will be completely destroyed by acid rain IF the tile spawns an acid glob.

This is why garages are important!

Really? The wiki says:
Code: [Select]
Vehicles are damaged by colliding against obstacles, [u]by environmental damage (such as acid rain[/u] and fire), by the type of terrain you're driving over or just by simple use.
Does that mean, like you say, it will take damage if the acid rain makes an acid glob on the floor?

In that case, why am I wasting time building a garage... I can just haul my parts into my shelter and keep them there.
Feeling down? Click Here!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8069 on: October 17, 2013, 12:45:44 pm »

I've built several versions of the WARBUS and never seen damage dealt by acid rain.  Similarly, if vehicles were damaged by acid rain, then anyone who stays on the edge of town long-term would see any wrecks be totally destroyed.
Pages: 1 ... 536 537 [538] 539 540 ... 1086