Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 529 530 [531] 532 533 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863438 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7950 on: October 15, 2013, 08:40:15 pm »

Also, how did you go about making plating opaque? I think I'm gonna make a PR for that, because I agree with it, and also throw in a less effective "barred" alternative that can be seen through.

The barred plating would be an awesome addition. Anything visible, impassable, and more sturdy than windshields would be awesome. .. I hate to mix praise with a request but... any chance of slotted "reinforced plating doors" that could be seen through (with limited FoV) but match the slotted vehicle plating?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7951 on: October 15, 2013, 08:46:16 pm »

Also, GirlInHat, we've received a few reports of that but none of the devs have been able to replicate it - what is your version number?
Be more specific?  The fact that only special zombies spawn, or that weather is static?  It seems to change VERY slowly, or when I save and reload.  In any case, this is an October 10th download.  0.8-1216-g848c030 (according to the window's name.)

As for the armor becoming opaque, it's in the JSONs.  I just added "OPAQUE" to the armor entries.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7952 on: October 15, 2013, 09:02:12 pm »

'volume'

My problem isn't with the system, but with the term. If we aren't using water-displacement, it should be called something like 'storage' instead of 'volume'. The latter is synonymous with displacement, which causes confusion.

I'd prefer to do it as - a canteen can be worn like a fannypack and takes up no encumbrance. The waterskin can't be worn, but only takes up as much volume as is in it (who knows why that's not working at the moment) but holds more water overall.
+1
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7953 on: October 15, 2013, 09:05:47 pm »

weather is static
That one. Thanks.

Spawning has been up and down between broken and working thanks to the massive changes going on with how that works, it seems to be working /right this moment/ but I don't expect that to last long, heh.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7954 on: October 15, 2013, 09:39:30 pm »

Welp, just died as I was burning down a building.  I managed to dehydrate from Slaked to Dead in less than an hour, as apparently I became so hot I died.  I KIND OF WISH THE WAIT COMMAND WOULD HAVE WARNED ME ABOUT THIS!

Seriously, there need to be A LOT MORE FUCKING CLUES when you're getting hit, inhaling smoke, or DYING when any sort of long activity is in progress.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7955 on: October 15, 2013, 09:54:02 pm »

I have noticed a sort of pattern about the 'stuck weather'.  I have seen this oddity occur over several of the newest experimentals.

I always create a new world when I start a new character, the always raining bug appears to affect some worlds and not others.

I am not certain if the game starts with rain or not when the always raining bug happens, but I notice it usually before the end of day 1 - the rain just never stops (unsure when it started, I'll try to watch for that).

If the 'always raining' bug doesn't hit - the weather appears to change normally - I get a variety of weather effects, mostly of fairly short duration and regular changes.

To recreate this bug I would attempt to start new characters in a new world and 'do something' (maybe just wait until dusk?)for the first day to verify that there is cycling weather.

I wish I'd noticed if the bugged games were starting with rain or not - that might help narrow down the bug better, but I haven't been watching.  I am now.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7956 on: October 15, 2013, 10:08:35 pm »

Welp, just died as I was burning down a building.  I managed to dehydrate from Slaked to Dead in less than an hour, as apparently I became so hot I died.  I KIND OF WISH THE WAIT COMMAND WOULD HAVE WARNED ME ABOUT THIS!

Seriously, there need to be A LOT MORE FUCKING CLUES when you're getting hit, inhaling smoke, or DYING when any sort of long activity is in progress.

Agreed. I've noticed that sometimes my character will continue to build whatever he/she was working on, even as a nearby enemy has begun to beat the ever loving crap out of him/her. It's usually not an issue (tai-kwon-do grants some SERIOUS damage reduction, at the cost of reduced damage output), but it would be nice if the game reliably warned you the first time you got hurt while working. Of course, it would also be nice if it told you what hurt you - if I'm coughing my lungs out because I forgot to put my mask on to kill a smoker, I really don't give a crap if I just got hurt. If a spitter just horked enough sulfuric acid to dissolve a cow in my direction, I want to be moving NOW!

Is it just me, or is the wiki down? I think the php files got screwed up somehow.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7957 on: October 15, 2013, 10:29:36 pm »

Yeah sorry, should be back up, was installing some extensions and messed up a file location.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7958 on: October 16, 2013, 12:24:28 am »

Just started playing this. Some day I hope to survive to actually see sunset. Of the first day.

Seriously, HOW THE FUCK DO YOU SURVIVE?? To survive, I need stuff. Stuff is in buildings. Buildings are crawling with zombies. I can kill a couple of zombies, but that just attracts a metric fuckton of zombies and then death. There doesn't seem to be a way to "sneak", so there's no way to quietly slip into houses and get what I need.

I suppose I could just find a little copse of trees and eat strawberries and read magazines until I die. That would actually prolong my survival longer than any of the games I've had so far. D:

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7959 on: October 16, 2013, 12:29:33 am »

Your Survival Shelter is stock full of resources. You should always be able to leave with a weapon and a crowbar. Depending on how you spec out, you might be able to leave with a backpack. And always remember to check out the basement.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7960 on: October 16, 2013, 12:31:43 am »

Seriously, HOW THE FUCK DO YOU SURVIVE?? To survive, I need stuff. Stuff is in buildings. Buildings are crawling with zombies. I can kill a couple of zombies, but that just attracts a metric fuckton of zombies and then death. There doesn't seem to be a way to "sneak", so there's no way to quietly slip into houses and get what I need.

Welcome to the grand paradox of Cataclysm, where every puzzle requires solving another puzzle, and the starting piece is pure random luck.

Basically, don't try to fight anything, just run like Hell at the first sign of trouble, and be prepared to restart a few times until you happen to find a quiet-ish part of town with a good weapon.  Also, not all houses are locked, only most of them.

Your Survival Shelter is stock full of resources. You should always be able to leave with a weapon and a crowbar. Depending on how you spec out, you might be able to leave with a backpack. And always remember to check out the basement.

This advice is only true if you take at least one point of Mechanical (I think?) skill so you can bash together a crowbar from locker scrap.  Without that, it's just luck.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7961 on: October 16, 2013, 12:34:40 am »

Don't need any skills to make a good old fashioned pointy stick. Just punch trees until they give you a branch, then carve away with your pocket knife.

Oh, and as for fighting: windows. Dogs aren't your best friend, windows are. So are bushes, countertops, wrecked vehicles, and anything else that zeds will waste action points move over/bashing through.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7962 on: October 16, 2013, 12:36:56 am »

Just started playing this. Some day I hope to survive to actually see sunset. Of the first day.

Here's a basic survival guide for getting past day 1:
1) Make a makeshift crowbar in the shelter. While this is only as good as a pipe, you can 'a'ctivate it to pry locked windows or doors (windows have a chance of being smashed instead of opening. (Note that in the stable version you can craft a normal crowbar, which is an even better weapon).
2) Find a bit of houses that stick out from the city or a hotel or public works that sticks out. This should not have any shops near it.
3) Go up to the edge and lure out 1/2 zombies. Lure the zombie onto a bush and hit it once before running away (If you have the quick trait you might be able to squeeze two hits in). Lure it onto another bush and continue the process until said zombie is dead. Continue until all lured zombies are dead, then butcher the corpses.
4) Keep doing this until you've cleared out an area of houses. Important note about zombie dogs, but you can't really run from them. Only try to do so if there is a very close bush or many other zombies nearby, instead just stand and fight. (Important note, do not engage zombie dogs near other zombies if at all possible).
5) Once you've leveled up survival enough make yourself a digging stick. Dig an alternating line of pits (pit, no pit, pit, no pit, etc.). This works much better then bushes at clearing out zombies and can allow you to get 2-3 hits in.
6) Once an area is clear enter one of the houses and make it your base. Good bases are rooms with a bed, one door, and no windows.
7) Continue the process and slowly clear out the nearby city.

The most important thing to do is to take it slowly. Going to fast will just end up with a horde on your heels and you dying.

Another tip; if you still find survival difficult invest some of your starting points into a profession or skills. Sure stats give you the greatest late game potential, but that's useless if you don't live to the late game and a few bits of equipment or starting skills can give you a very nice survival boost at the beginning.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7963 on: October 16, 2013, 12:54:16 am »

But I can't go that slowly because Red King needs food (and water and sleep) badly!

I had one character that spent the first half of the first day reading a magazine, then raided a house in the afternoon, killed some zombies, got some food and warm clothing, then hightailed it back to the shelter. Couldn't get any real sleep because kept waking up hungry and/or thirsty. Finally took NyQuil to sleep, only to wake up too cold. Put winter clothes on, woke up from being too hot. Once I finally got my shit all sorted, it was morning.

Went into an office tower the next day, got trapped in a room and killed by a horde. That's the only game that's made it to Day 2.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #7964 on: October 16, 2013, 01:07:23 am »

But I can't go that slowly because Red King needs food (and water and sleep) badly!

I had one character that spent the first half of the first day reading a magazine, then raided a house in the afternoon, killed some zombies, got some food and warm clothing, then hightailed it back to the shelter. Couldn't get any real sleep because kept waking up hungry and/or thirsty. Finally took NyQuil to sleep, only to wake up too cold. Put winter clothes on, woke up from being too hot. Once I finally got my shit all sorted, it was morning.

Went into an office tower the next day, got trapped in a room and killed by a horde. That's the only game that's made it to Day 2.
> Aim for Sporting Goods/Military Supplies stores early. They help loads, especially the former!

> Try using a makeshift crowbar as your wielded friend earlier, or in case just take up an unarmed combat skill and commence your running. Fight only when you need to, and keep your speed higher than them.
Pages: 1 ... 529 530 [531] 532 533 ... 1086