Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 511 512 [513] 514 515 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863675 times)

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7680 on: October 11, 2013, 10:11:21 pm »

... If the labs are mostly unpowered (hence, darkness)..... what the hell is keeping them -90 freakin degrees?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7681 on: October 11, 2013, 10:12:58 pm »

... If the labs are mostly unpowered (hence, darkness)..... what the hell is keeping them -90 freakin degrees?

Tears in the fabric of this reality coupled with really good insulating rock?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7682 on: October 11, 2013, 10:30:37 pm »

Pretty much. One of the main potential reasons why is that they opened up a rift to a very, very, cold place in the bottom that's destabilized to be permanently open when the lab crashed.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7683 on: October 11, 2013, 10:58:15 pm »

Hmm. I may have to go back with some heavier fur clothing then, sounds interesting. Winter is coming (tm), I'll probably have to stop and get some thick furs together for that.

I finally got a RV welding rig set up. Stopped to do some repairs, and zombies came up and smashed it *sigh*. So for now, it's just me and the integrated toolset. Works out roughly the same anyways, with Solar Panels I can weld all day and gain power about as fast as I use it.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7684 on: October 11, 2013, 11:10:07 pm »

Also worth noting, vehicles seem to have internal temperature even if they have no sort of power - as long as the tile is "indoors" on the vehicle then it gets some temperature control.  You might be able to put together small 3x3 bunker-boxes of boards, doors, and roofs, allowing you to slip inside to warm up and make excursions into the terrifying cold.

Found something that should be a bug: When crafting a molotov, the bottle holding the whiskey doesn't count.  You need an empty glass bottle AND another bottle containing whiskey!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 11:46:55 pm by Girlinhat »

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7685 on: October 11, 2013, 11:47:51 pm »

Took down a Fungal Spire. Those things spawn at a truly ludicrous rate, even with me taking out young fungaloids with one swing of my weapon I couldn't keep up. I finally set the Fungal Walls on fire, then stood back and plugged the spire with my bow until it died. I can see how a squad of military men could have trouble, unless you knew to blast the spire you could be overrun very, very quickly.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7686 on: October 12, 2013, 12:06:35 am »

Found something that should be a bug: When crafting a molotov, the bottle holding the whiskey doesn't count.  You need an empty glass bottle AND another bottle containing whiskey!

I've only been saying this for months.  It's already weird enough that booze is explosive, why do we need to jump through the hoop of having a spare bottle?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7687 on: October 12, 2013, 12:15:44 am »

once it got down to -90F ... couldn't manage my temperature Got some awesome bionics though ... Internal Furnace ... Mini Flamethrower....

Wait.  If you have bionics like that installed, especially the internal furnace.... would be neat to have an option to use that for heat, not just recharge.  Whaddya mean, I'm cold?  I'm a walking oven!
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7688 on: October 12, 2013, 12:19:05 am »

I've only been saying this for months.  It's already weird enough that booze is explosive, why do we need to jump through the hoop of having a spare bottle?

There's a fairly simple workaround. Just dump the contents of the bottle onto the ground, then craft. The liquor persists as a puddle which can be interacted/crafted with, and you now have an empty bottle to use.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7689 on: October 12, 2013, 12:22:07 am »

It's not intended, it's just that no one has gotten around to fixing it. It used to work. I think the problem was a change in how containers functioned... Anyway, I also wish someone would fix it, but do not have the time myself. Granade has been swamped to the point where he is doing practically nothing but code reviews, i2amroy is constantly busy fixing more serious bugs, galen is working on KS features, and that's all the main developers. Non-priority stuff like that has to depend on the less reliable drive-by contributors, and none of them seem to care.

However, I might get a chance to look at it tomorrow and see if I can't figure out a better way to handle it, since I've been reworking recipe function anyway.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #7690 on: October 12, 2013, 01:56:48 am »

* GalenEvil draws summoning @
COME FORTH FAITHFUL DRIVE-BY CONTRIBUTORS!!! FIX THIS BUG OF BUGS AND LEAVE US SATED AND UNWANTING!!!

* GalenEvil waits patiently while poking lightly at his code that is playing hard-to-fix
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7691 on: October 12, 2013, 02:51:58 am »

Ha ha! Turns out shopping carts are essentially mobile broken windows when it comes to killing zombies. SO useful.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #7692 on: October 12, 2013, 04:16:44 am »

Ha ha! Turns out shopping carts are essentially mobile broken windows when it comes to killing zombies. SO useful.

Yeah, it's pretty absurd. I've killed hordes of 12+ zombies without taking a single hit just by dragging the cart backwards and stabbing them one by one.

Maybe carts could be impassable so the zombies smash them, or maybe they just get to push them out of the way as a "free" action? Or maybe carts should just not cost extra movement at all... just consider it standing next to the cart.

It's really kind of broken how it is right now.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7693 on: October 12, 2013, 04:20:09 am »

Actually it's pretty realistic. Give me a small axe and one strike to each zombie when they try to climb the cart would pretty easy.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7694 on: October 12, 2013, 04:48:23 am »

What realistically* should happen is that all those zombies grabbing/dropping into the cart should prevent you from moving it around.

*Funny, considering we're talking about zombies
Pages: 1 ... 511 512 [513] 514 515 ... 1086