Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 513 514 [515] 516 517 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863717 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7710 on: October 12, 2013, 02:08:29 pm »

Oh, gods this game is so frustrating.  I had a beautiful 21 day run going, my skills were steadily climbing, my food and water supplies were solid, then I get trashed by a lone zombie out in the middle of nowhere.  Ever since, my characters haven't been even remotely successful, this is very discouraging. :(
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7711 on: October 12, 2013, 02:39:06 pm »

Oh, gods this game is so frustrating.  I had a beautiful 21 day run going, my skills were steadily climbing, my food and water supplies were solid, then I get trashed by a lone zombie out in the middle of nowhere.  Ever since, my characters haven't been even remotely successful, this is very discouraging. :(

If I may ask, what weapon were you using and what type of zombie was it? The reason I ask is that I've made it to the fall without too much trouble, zombies aren't really that dangerous once you get your skills up. Unless you were already running on fumes, a single zombie should not have been able to kill you.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7712 on: October 12, 2013, 03:03:21 pm »

No, it probably shouldn't have been able to kill me.  I had 7 melee skill, 6 blunt weapon skill, 7 dodge, 12 strength, and a crowbar I was well rested, full, and slaked.  I had been reliably hitting targets for 35-40 damage, but I could not strike the damnable thing, and to be clear I was not overencumbered either.  I really have no idea how it happened, not a few moments before I had dropped a brute without a scratch, my gear was in excellent condition and this damned normal zom just ignored my attacks and crushed my skull. >:(
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 03:04:52 pm by NullForceOmega »

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7713 on: October 12, 2013, 03:11:32 pm »

Hmm, that's odd.

Generally, I don't like using crowbars. Most melee weapons have the +weak block attribute which can really help. I don't know the exact mechanics, but I can tell the difference between how much damage I take when wielding my Firebrand compared to firing ranged weapons point blank (even accounting for melee weapons being markedly slower).
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7714 on: October 12, 2013, 03:12:36 pm »

No, it probably shouldn't have been able to kill me.  I had 7 melee skill, 6 blunt weapon skill, 7 dodge, 12 strength, and a crowbar I was well rested, full, and slaked.  I had been reliably hitting targets for 35-40 damage, but I could not strike the damnable thing, and to be clear I was not overencumbered either.  I really have no idea how it happened, not a few moments before I had dropped a brute without a scratch, my gear was in excellent condition and this damned normal zom just ignored my attacks and crushed my skull. >:(
It should have taken a significant amount of damage for it to kill you, since zombies are actually pretty weak.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7715 on: October 12, 2013, 03:13:35 pm »

No, it probably shouldn't have been able to kill me.

Were you glass jaw, hardcore or both?

You don't really describe the sequence of the fight, but you say it 'ignored my attacks and crushed my skull', so it dodged/you missed multiple times, then it one shot you?

Only suggestion I can think of to that (and it does sound really weird, especially if you have normal hps) is that out in the middle of nowhere you can always retreat and guide it onto a bush... I wouldn't expect to -need- to either with a normal zom and what you descibe, but given that it's happened to you, I'm going to keep that in mind for myself.  Since you had time to try and hit at least twice before you died, maybe strike/miss, back up, strike/miss and repeat, until that strike hits if no bushes are conveniently near.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7716 on: October 12, 2013, 03:23:29 pm »

You don't need obstacles to deal with lone zeds if you have increased movement speed. It's pretty easy to work out a movement pattern that lets you know which steps are "safe" ones where the zed doesn't have enough time to hit you even if you attack and then backpedal.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7717 on: October 12, 2013, 03:37:12 pm »

Okay, sequence of combat was basicaly: backstep, wait, swing (you miss!) take hit to head (the zombie bites your head!), backpedal a couple steps, wait, swing (you miss!), take hit to head (why the fuck is it ignoring my reinforced motorcycle helmet!), backpedal a few more steps (got to get the bastard on a bush), wait, swing (miss), swing (miss), swing (...), take hit to the head (...), run (damned bushes, why does the tileset make them the exact same color as the background.), take hit to the head, die.
I think I hit the single worst spot of RNG in my life.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 03:40:10 pm by NullForceOmega »

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7718 on: October 12, 2013, 05:51:15 pm »

So I just got to a hazardous waste sarcophagus. I can't get it to turn on the elevator though, says access code required and won't let me hack it. Am I supposed to go find an access code somewhere else?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7719 on: October 12, 2013, 06:26:57 pm »

At the moment the only ways to get it are:
1) Get it from an NPC quest
2) Blast your way into the basement and retrieve it from there
3) Debug yourself one
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7720 on: October 12, 2013, 07:11:35 pm »

Really you can blow it up? I think I remember trying that back in .5 and it just turned into rubble.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7721 on: October 12, 2013, 07:15:35 pm »

The key there is "blast your way into the basement" which means finding a way underground, then tunneling over to it, and having an explosive that can down metal walls.

At least, that's the same procedure for breaking into labs an bunkers...

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7722 on: October 12, 2013, 07:23:51 pm »

You can tunnel?!
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7723 on: October 12, 2013, 07:29:40 pm »

You can tunnel?!
With a jackhammer or a few other things, yeah.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7724 on: October 12, 2013, 07:41:19 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Badges of honor
Pages: 1 ... 513 514 [515] 516 517 ... 1086