Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860322 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #5190 on: August 03, 2013, 06:53:11 pm »

I just made my first couple of posts over there regarding my recent build experiences, which transited very quickly from joyous triumph to crushing confusion.

Anyway, I've been following Cataclysm for some time, but I want to remark about how impressive the game is.  I haven't enjoyed a roguelike this much since Nethack.  I'm grateful to Whales for creating it and to everyone who has maintained and contributed to it after he left the project.  I don't have any experience working with a team of coders, and I'm not a very experienced coder in the first place, but I'm getting acquainted with Github and I'd like to help out however I can.  :)
Add shields, so I can make my SCA Member profession.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

teoleo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5191 on: August 05, 2013, 12:26:39 pm »

News??

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #5192 on: August 05, 2013, 01:17:35 pm »

Tile support is almost completed, and should be finished on Wednesday to be open for testing via experimental builds. Just a few more things to work out and then it will be ready for general consumption.
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #5193 on: August 05, 2013, 01:41:59 pm »

Wow, I didn't realize you guys were that far along with tiles. Looking forward to it.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5194 on: August 05, 2013, 05:56:05 pm »

Reminder:  Please do not reply to the ban dodger.  Your posts will simply be removed.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5195 on: August 05, 2013, 06:01:51 pm »

So, back to the topic at hand. What's the ideal profession now that a load of professions have been added? I  think there should be the option to choose multiple professions, as it'd make sense to be have a cigarette addiction and have a backpack, but perhaps that's just me.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5196 on: August 05, 2013, 06:27:53 pm »

So, back to the topic at hand. What's the ideal profession now that a load of professions have been added? I  think there should be the option to choose multiple professions, as it'd make sense to be have a cigarette addiction and have a backpack, but perhaps that's just me.
   The reason professions as they are happen to be balanced is that you can only take 1. As for which is the best the jury is still out on that. Currently I have been going through them one by one in my LP though. I have only made it up to Pre-Med Student so far and have not really made an opinion besides the Pre-Med is highly abusable as it starts you with 6 bandages so if you just suicide a lot of them when you start a real character you can be swimming in bandages. Maybe if you Suicide in the first few turns of the game you don't leave a corpse.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5197 on: August 05, 2013, 06:47:33 pm »

We're planning on player corpses zombifying so hopefully that will help with that problem. Though its definitely blatant abuse and hard to consider valid gameplay. :P

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #5198 on: August 05, 2013, 06:49:24 pm »

I will be honest the only thing a large number of bandages do early on is maybe train your first aid skill. They won't save you if you get in over your head. Now if it was first aid kits that would be different. Those things are amazing.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5199 on: August 05, 2013, 06:51:27 pm »

We're planning on player corpses zombifying so hopefully that will help with that problem. Though its definitely blatant abuse and hard to consider valid gameplay. :P

Frankly, the problem is inherent to the persistent-world system to begin with.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

vastaghen12

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME_SUPPORT: ANY_COMPUTER:1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5200 on: August 05, 2013, 06:54:11 pm »

Whoa such a great game!
All this vehicle customization and crafting are great as are all this hidden places.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

By the way anyone has tips on leveling up mechanics?
Have been grinding by making crowbars like a madman but it isn't working very well and a this pace i will never get my hybrid car.

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5201 on: August 05, 2013, 06:57:28 pm »

Have been grinding by making crowbars like a madman but it isn't working very well and a this pace i will never get my hybrid car.

Go to the library and read a Mechanical Mastery. Those things can get you up to a pretty high level. If your mechanics level isn't 3 yet, then get it up using that one book the name of which I have forgotten.
I need to put something interesting here.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5202 on: August 05, 2013, 07:04:43 pm »

Loot a mansions library.

Take all the books.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

vastaghen12

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIOME_SUPPORT: ANY_COMPUTER:1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5203 on: August 05, 2013, 07:08:41 pm »

Go to the library and read a Mechanical Mastery. Those things can get you up to a pretty high level. If your mechanics level isn't 3 yet, then get it up using that one book the name of which I have forgotten.

Alas, have been unlucky with my libraries, the two i have found only had Novels, electrical, SCIP, cooking and economy books (not that I complain being able to craft coil guns sounds pretty awesome). Will start looking for mansions then.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5204 on: August 05, 2013, 07:27:31 pm »

Watch out for the zombles there.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: 1 ... 345 346 [347] 348 349 ... 1086