Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1859962 times)

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (Discuss the Kickstarter in the other thread)
« Reply #3975 on: July 05, 2013, 04:08:50 am »

PUBLIC WORKS ARE GOOD.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #3976 on: July 05, 2013, 07:48:37 am »

Man, that conversation was just surreal... kill an enemy then superglue some skin to your face during the night. Or, you know, staple it to your face.  I don't think I had realised the depth of the game, I really need to get into it more :)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: July 05, 2013, 07:53:58 am »

Intergrated Toolsets are better. With a metabolic interchange, you've got a multitool that can be powered by wolf meat. Then, fill a bottle of gasoline in a station, find a car or truck with a working engine and enough wheel but no gas and fill it up. Finally, find some tasty wreck, park next to them, dissassemble them while standing next to your vehicles (all the parts are dropped at your feet) and start adding stuff to your deathmobile.

If it's raining and/or acid raining, parking on top of your pile of parts can let you work from inside your car.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: July 05, 2013, 08:37:42 am »

i allways have a problem leaving my first city since i get setteled to much (unless there's fungels nearby in which case i die soon)
can some one give me the basics on vehicel building?
Find a welder, hack saw, and wrench, and hit up a few Electronics Stores for batteries - if you've got skill in electronics, you can double the battery capacity of your welder, which is convenient.  You'll also want something to protect you from the rain, like a raincoat, blanket, or (my preferred) Fur Trench Coat.  A few levels in Mechanics will also help, but you can kinda fudge that.

First, you want to find a vehicle in nearly working order, or get lucky and find a working vehicle.  EVERY vehicle you find on common roads are ruined.  Garages, parking lots, and lesser places like farms and whatnot have a chance to spawn functional vehicles - garages also spawn plenty of car parts.  If you find a working vehicle, drive it over to a nearby wreck, within 2 tiles, and start disassembling the wreck (this will give you Mechanics skill, which can help).  The parts are placed at your feet, so you can turn around and start applying them to your vehicle.  What you're mainly after are steel frames and steel plating - frames are used to extend the chassis and make storage, while plating is used for armor and roof tiles.  Try to avoid making Boards or other impassable tiles until you're more experienced with how vehicles work, as zombies will bash them down.

A handy vehicle to start with is the Quad Bike.  It has a sideways H shape, and those small gaps can be filled with frames and storage or solar support.  I personally took a quad bike and put batteries and solar panels to either side of the seat, and replaced the fuel engine with an electric.  Gas engines make noise, though you can equip a muffler, while electric motors are a LOT quieter, and don't even need a muffler (somewhere on the order of 15 noise for average gas and 2 for electric!).  It's also decent to get a solar car wreck and replace whatever is broken, because you need 6 levels in Mechanics to install a solar panel and that's beyond many players.

Personally, I'm looking for a bus to modify, so I'll be hitting up schools soon!

Intergrated Toolsets are better. With a metabolic interchange, you've got a multitool that can be powered by wolf meat.
I've actually not tried using the Integrated Toolset for vehicle work lately, but I assume it works.  Metabolic Interchange sounds like a good one, but if you're a new player then it will kill you.  You CANNOT turn it off, and it will constantly drain your hunger down as long as your batteries aren't full.  For a lot of players who just try to get the highest batteries and aren't conservative as they use energy to do a lot of things, and don't get very lucky with wolves, this can starve you just about to death.

Solar, however, is INCREDIBLY useful.  So useful, in fact, that you may consider putting two sets of controls on your vehicle, one under a roof and one outside!

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: July 05, 2013, 08:49:07 am »

Solar, however, is INCREDIBLY useful.  So useful, in fact, that you may consider putting two sets of controls on your vehicle, one under a roof and one outside!

Just be sure not to put those controls right beside each other. Roofs are only useful if there are other roofs, closed doors, or boards orthogonally adjacent to the tile you want roofed over. It has to be all four squares around.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: July 05, 2013, 10:11:59 am »

...  You'll also want something to protect you from the rain, like a raincoat, blanket, or (my preferred) Fur Trench Coat.

-Snip-

My favourite for this is the wool poncho. 35 warmth and thus protects from rain and if fitting has -1 torso encumbrance. A fitting tank-top + trenchcoat + backpack + poncho will net 0 torso encumbrance, IIRC.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: July 05, 2013, 10:25:38 am »

Protip:
Too dark to read or sew, but you gotta get it done?  Vehicle headlights provide light!  They consume no batteries and provide a cone of light.  If you have the time and patience, you can drive a motorcycle into a building, take off the wheels and engine, and be left with a stationary light source!

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: July 05, 2013, 10:27:51 am »

I'm finding a simple lightstrip to be pretty damn effective for doing stuff at night.  The thing lasts forever.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3983 on: July 05, 2013, 11:03:52 am »

Also, how do you utilize funnels?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #3984 on: July 05, 2013, 11:04:48 am »

Also, how do you utilize funnels?
iirc you apply it to a tile and then (e)xamine it when its raining to get water

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: July 05, 2013, 04:49:53 pm »

So either temperature is broken, or rain is overpowered and weird.  It's currently summer, 81F and Sunny, and I have 'Chilly Torso' under a fur cloak, fur trench coat, belt rig, under armor, and utility vest.  I've been out in the rain A LOT crafting a vehicle, but I can imagine no situation in which 4-ish layers of clothing would ever be insufficient.  130 warmth on torso.

Also, boots and gloves need to have their warmth increased.  You can only wear boots and socks, and with fur boots and socks, I only get 80 warmth, with the only thing able to stack further being a heavy blanket.  Similarly for hands, wearing fur gloves and glove liners nets me 90, where the rest of my body has ~120.  Trench Coats/Cloaks and especially warm pants should probably cover the hands and feet as well, if only to providing balanced heating.

Knirisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: July 05, 2013, 04:51:54 pm »

So either temperature is broken, or rain is overpowered and weird.  It's currently summer, 81F and Sunny, and I have 'Chilly Torso' under a fur cloak, fur trench coat, belt rig, under armor, and utility vest.  I've been out in the rain A LOT crafting a vehicle, but I can imagine no situation in which 4-ish layers of clothing would ever be insufficient.  130 warmth on torso.

Sounds like a bug, but are you sure you don't have like maybe a cold or something? Or are bleeding badly?
Also often called Boowells.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: July 05, 2013, 05:00:09 pm »

Very sure.  It seems the higher temperature goes, the colder it gets.  In 60F weather it's bearable, but 80's get freezing.  Or it might simply be getting colder with time.  When winter comes around I'll be able to see.

Died: Set a school on fire TRYING to keep warm.  I started FREEZING in 87F cloudy day wearing full furs.  Also fire needs a nerf.  It managed to spread over empty hallway about 20 tiles in 1 turn.  If a turn is supposed to be 6 seconds, that's absurd.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 05:18:32 pm by Girlinhat »

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3988 on: July 05, 2013, 05:42:06 pm »

Perhaps you're so warm that you came right round into cold again? You hit 99 internally and then ticked over to 0?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: July 05, 2013, 05:49:56 pm »

In which case I should have been getting progressively warmer, just offset by 100.  Instead, as the temperature rose, my coldness got worse.  It was almost perfectly inverted.
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 1086