Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860678 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (Discuss the Kickstarter in the other thread)
« Reply #3825 on: July 02, 2013, 05:17:08 pm »

What if it's mixed between acid and not-acid water?
I'm not sure. Best guess would probably be that it looks at the amount of water vs amount of acid water and converts to acid water once it bypasses a certain threshold.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #3826 on: July 02, 2013, 09:55:47 pm »

Don't know how I got confused and posted a comment for Factorio over here, yet here I am.  ???
Anyways... Looking forward to future passive survival items (farming, rain barrels, etc.)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 12:13:19 am by n9103 »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: July 02, 2013, 10:08:41 pm »

I got taken by a strange mood with a jacqueshammer, and found some lovely weaponry at the end of the tunnel. Unfortunately the game crashed after using one, so now I'm stuck with the old combat knife and some shiny booties and gloves after redigging the tunnel.

Edit: Both of them make me mutate, and I'm already radioactive. This'll be fun on a bun.
Edit2.0: OH GOD TELEPORTING. Not good when you're going down the highway at 60 miles an hour. Or at any time, really. The bun has significantly less fun.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 10:28:13 pm by UrbanGiraffe »

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: July 02, 2013, 10:40:04 pm »

Huh, I assumed the radiation emitting mutations also gave some protection against radiation sickness. Can radiation be lethal? I've only ever experienced vomiting and stat drops.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3829 on: July 02, 2013, 11:00:59 pm »

It is odd that it doesn't protect you from radiation though I guess it doesn't say anything about protecting you from it. There should be a mutation which gives you protection from radiation though. It could actually be the second step of hardy genetics and instead of just increasing the chance of good mutation just make you not mutate at all. Maybe actually make it two steps. The first one after hardy genetics halves the affects of radiation and you have 1/3 chance good, 1/3 random, and 1/3 nothing happens for mutations. The final stage is where you are not affect by radiation and cannot mutate at all, not even purifier works as your genetic structure has stabilized so much it can't change.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #3830 on: July 03, 2013, 01:31:12 am »

Huzzah! Got the post ready before the cut!

So, I'm wondering, does anyone even use the "Classic Zombie" mode, removing all of the wasps, etc?

Not sure about the denizens of the 12th Bay but there are some that occupy the CataForum and C:DDA IRC channel that have played on "Classic Zombie" mode.
I think more modes should be added to go along with the "Classic" mode and normal mode. Possibly something like "Specials Only" or "Attack of the Killer Vegetables" modes, with only special zombies and a massive population of fungal blooms/triffids respectfully. Many more though, maybe something like Defense mode where you can gen a world and pick options to select what kind of wildlife you want to match wits against :D
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: July 03, 2013, 01:53:39 am »

While I know the game is about a cataclysm world ending in nature, would it be possible to eventually have a generated history a la DF or something that would determine the possibility of there being more survivors with different quality of survivors ie random hobo, government forces etc? Some people want to rebuild the world after all.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: July 03, 2013, 02:15:34 am »

It is odd that it doesn't protect you from radiation though I guess it doesn't say anything about protecting you from it. There should be a mutation which gives you protection from radiation though. It could actually be the second step of hardy genetics and instead of just increasing the chance of good mutation just make you not mutate at all. Maybe actually make it two steps. The first one after hardy genetics halves the affects of radiation and you have 1/3 chance good, 1/3 random, and 1/3 nothing happens for mutations. The final stage is where you are not affect by radiation and cannot mutate at all, not even purifier works as your genetic structure has stabilized so much it can't change.
Sounds... interesting, though it seems to go against the grain of the whole "mutation" thing.

As for a mutation that protects you from radiation, it's called Radiogenic, which directly converts radiation into super healing abilities. When combined with the Radioactive mutations it basically turns you into a constantly healing superhuman (like really fast healing).

I think more modes should be added to go along with the "Classic" mode and normal mode. Possibly something like "Specials Only" or "Attack of the Killer Vegetables" modes, with only special zombies and a massive population of fungal blooms/triffids respectfully. Many more though, maybe something like Defense mode where you can gen a world and pick options to select what kind of wildlife you want to match wits against :D
This is actually one of the semi-goals of the world-building/modding engine idea.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: July 03, 2013, 06:44:02 am »

I never actually thought we would get to a point where toilets are the most valuable asset a safehouse could have.
Ah, but someday we'll reach the point where we can store numbers for each piece of terrain, and then toilets will only have a limited amount of water! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! 8)
But then how will we have self-sufficient bases? Building near a river?

Well Digging?  Would have add an element of having to choose your base based on the aquifer.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: July 03, 2013, 06:55:33 am »

I never actually thought we would get to a point where toilets are the most valuable asset a safehouse could have.
Ah, but someday we'll reach the point where we can store numbers for each piece of terrain, and then toilets will only have a limited amount of water! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! 8)
But then how will we have self-sufficient bases? Building near a river?

Well Digging?  Would have add an element of having to choose your base based on the aquifer.

atm you can dig a hole. maybe it could gather rain water later on?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: July 03, 2013, 07:00:07 am »

I play on classic zombies mode. I never have been fond of the idea of "special zombies". Seems like an escapist fantasy for those who understand that they'd be unlikely to survive zombie apocalypse, but still want to be different in some way.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: July 03, 2013, 07:30:23 am »

Is this an insult...?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: July 03, 2013, 07:34:33 am »

atm you can dig a hole. maybe it could gather rain water later on?

You would need to line it with some non-porous material like a plastic sheet. Stagnant water is also a place for diseases to thrive, when the cataclysm strikes then bottled water and rivers (unless radiation/pollution) will be the only healthy sources

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: July 03, 2013, 09:03:01 am »

I play on classic zombies mode. I never have been fond of the idea of "special zombies". Seems like an escapist fantasy for those who understand that they'd be unlikely to survive zombie apocalypse, but still want to be different in some way.
But mutagenic potions that can grow you a beak in less than 2 seconds are fine right?
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: July 03, 2013, 09:13:04 am »

I don't think it's a problem of realism, it's a problem with the concept of special zombies in and of itself.
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 1086