Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860683 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (Discuss the Kickstarter in the other thread)
« Reply #3810 on: July 02, 2013, 02:39:16 pm »

Public works? Is that a special type of building, or is it just a general class of buildings?
Public works is a special type of building, often found on the outside of cities (similar to shelters).
And what would an idea of their real-life counterpart be? Construction site? Service station?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: July 02, 2013, 02:41:54 pm »

Public works? Is that a special type of building, or is it just a general class of buildings?
Public works is a special type of building, often found on the outside of cities (similar to shelters).
And what would an idea of their real-life counterpart be? Construction site? Service station?
Um... A public works department building? You can find them in most cities, they are usually the places where the city stores all of it's snow plows, bulldozers, and other construction equipment that they use for fixing roads, etc.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3812 on: July 02, 2013, 04:09:03 pm »

Where is the best place to find salt? Is it just diving through houses or what because I never find enough of the stuff.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 04:11:58 pm by Akhier the Dragon hearted »
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

FritzPL

• Bay Watcher
  • Changing avatar text since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #3813 on: July 02, 2013, 04:18:07 pm »

Public works are the best. They have everything you need in 80% of the times you visit them. Hell, my first encounter with one was spawning next to it, and I fell in love straight away. They are the best survival/mechanic kickstarter, and as most of the public use buildings, they have toilets.
I never actually thought we would get to a point where toilets are the most valuable asset a safehouse could have.

@up houses, apartment towers, megastores, grocery stores, places where you would expect to find them.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3814 on: July 02, 2013, 04:21:30 pm »

I never actually thought we would get to a point where toilets are the most valuable asset a safehouse could have.
Ah, but someday we'll reach the point where we can store numbers for each piece of terrain, and then toilets will only have a limited amount of water! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! 8)
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3815 on: July 02, 2013, 04:27:16 pm »

Ah, but someday we'll reach the point where we can store numbers for each piece of terrain, and then toilets will only have a limited amount of water! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! 8)
But then how will we have self-sufficient bases? Building near a river?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3816 on: July 02, 2013, 04:53:10 pm »

Rivers + rainwater would be my first guess. Hopefully around the same point we'll add in something that will passively collect rainwater and store it, like a rain barrel of some sort.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: July 02, 2013, 04:54:58 pm »

Rivers + rainwater would be my first guess. Hopefully around the same point we'll add in something that will passively collect rainwater and store it, like a rain barrel of some sort.
The funnels do that. I think, I never used them, but the description implies it.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: July 02, 2013, 04:55:24 pm »

Whenever I set funnels up, it never rains...

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3819 on: July 02, 2013, 04:56:45 pm »

If a funnel keeps the rain away its the best tool ever.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3820 on: July 02, 2013, 04:56:57 pm »

Cataclysm: Where the carrying capacity of a toilet is an important subject, under constant development.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3821 on: July 02, 2013, 05:02:29 pm »

The funnels do that. I think, I never used them, but the description implies it.
Funnels let you harvest rainwater that is falling, yes. A rain barrel would be more like something that checks recent weather when it reloads into the map and if there has been rain recently then it will generate an appropriate amount of water (or acidified water from acid rain) in the barrel.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: July 02, 2013, 05:06:34 pm »

Funnels let you harvest rainwater that is falling, yes. A rain barrel would be more like something that checks recent weather when it reloads into the map and if there has been rain recently then it will generate an appropriate amount of water (or acidified water from acid rain) in the barrel.
What if it's mixed between acid and not-acid water?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3823 on: July 02, 2013, 05:09:52 pm »

Hmm.. I wonder how the funnel interacts with acid rain... I must try this!
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: July 02, 2013, 05:13:10 pm »

You get acid water instead of regular water. Acid water can be turned into concentrated acid.

Makes getting batteries much easier.
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 [255] 256 257 ... 1086