Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863218 times)

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2355 on: April 26, 2013, 06:10:03 am »

If anything Cataclysm has taught me is the value of illegal drugs in a crisis. ty cataclysm!

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: April 26, 2013, 06:13:48 am »

Got a tent and some supplies, time to try roughing it in the woods. Should be safer than the evac centre right next to 2 hospitals :/ Any tips for surviving innawoods?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: April 26, 2013, 07:46:51 am »

Create or know where some slow tiles are to lure stuff into.  If you have a shovel pits work well, deep ones preferred but shallow ones are about as good as a window.  Many players consider wildlife to be more dangerous than zombies you may actually be fighting more than in the city.  Though unlike the city you won't be bothered while sleeping long as you keep yer tent flap closed.  Train some throwing skill and get some wood spears or javelins to help fight them off if you don't have a firearm.  If you have a crossbow or bow archery will do as well.

If you see any giant bugs besides spiders, Trifflids, fungaloids, or any odd lines of dirt appear you have set up in the wrong neck of the woods and you should get out of there ASAP.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: April 26, 2013, 11:44:10 am »

Since I run pretty much all of my characters in the woods these are my pieces of advice:
  • Watch out for landmines while crossing fields. I've had several characters meet their ends from running into landmines and if you see even one make sure to give it a wide berth.
  • Water is probably your most important thing to find in the woods. If you are willing to fight a few zombies cabins or farms work nicely. I don't know if this is only in the latest version (I compile my own versions) but funnels are very useful and can serve as a source of water if you have a large enough storage capacity for liquids.
  • The most important tools to have are a pot and an wood axe/saw. If you have these it makes life a lot eaiser since you can't build your own versions until you have a level 3 survival skill.
  • Despite their nice amounts of water, don't set up in swamps. (I learned this the hard way. :P)
  • If you pass a farm (even if you decide not to stay) consider grabbing some barbed wire before you leave. A small bit of barbed wire will provide you with an almost constant supply of dead squirrels/rabbits in the woods.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: April 26, 2013, 12:19:21 pm »

Bishop Artemis picks through the remains of a Hardware store, looking for supplies to help him through the harsh Winter. There's good stuff here. Sledgehammers, hacksaws, building materials, jackhammers...

"Nothing I don't already have," he mumbles to himself, turning to leave through the blood-stained window. But wait... did that say...?

He glances back at the heavy tools. Just a jackhammer. But the one next to it looks different, somehow: a slightly different shade of paint, perhaps. He approaches the foreign object with a bemused expression, leaning in close to read the label hanging from its frame.

"Jacqueshammer...?" What a strange find. Not only the name, but the description is also written in French. Bishop scratches his beard, grinning at the ridiculousness of it. In all his travels, through all the towns, FEMA camps, LMOE shelters, strange temples, woodland cabins, caves and mineshafts he had explored, this was the first and only French import he'd ever encountered.

"Would that it had been a bottle of vintage Chartreuse," he muses to himself, before making his exit back into the chilly evening air.

(^ True story. :P)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 12:47:26 pm by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: April 26, 2013, 01:07:06 pm »

What's even weirder is that the proper french name for a Jackhammer is "Marteau-piqueur".

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: April 26, 2013, 01:33:06 pm »

Note to self: Make sure to remove the save folder before rebuilding the game to update. I just lost my epic Japanese female delinquent that switched back and forth between wielding a katana and a steel chain. :'(

Bit of a bugfind here, but the FAQ in the help menu calls safe mode "Run mode".
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 05:56:08 pm by i2amroy »
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: April 26, 2013, 05:56:24 pm »

Spoiler:  Spoiler, maybe? (click to show/hide)

Entropy is not what it used to be.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: April 26, 2013, 05:57:18 pm »

jelly

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: April 26, 2013, 06:01:55 pm »

Yeah, what Sharp said. Head down to a hive and get yourself some royal jelly. Plus it'd probably be prudent to grab some extra ones.

And it was almost definitely the eye. They're bastards only because of that ability. >.>
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: April 26, 2013, 06:05:31 pm »

Damnit, I was afraid of that. Don't have a single hive on the map. Oh well, I guess I'll have to stumble around in the rain for a while :-/

Hopefully I'll come back alive.

SomeStupidGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Just strummin' right along...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: April 26, 2013, 06:08:52 pm »

Any labs? There's a chance of some showing up in those.
Your favorite pinko progressive nerd-gal. Probably.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2367 on: April 26, 2013, 06:15:42 pm »

Yeah there's one that I searched a while ago. Something aggravated loads of zombie scientists and manhacks, though, so I legged it and closed all doors behind me. Maybe it's my best shot anyway.

Edit: It did work! after running from several manhacks and zombie scientists, I finally found a royal jelly in the second underground level of the lab! Eli King will live to kill more zombies!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 07:15:58 pm by Silfurdreki »

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2368 on: April 26, 2013, 07:19:41 pm »

Is there a way to cancel the craft until you can't? Because if there isn't there needs to be because I got stuck crafting bone needles at the end of the video I will have up later and the only reason I stopped was because my moral got so low I could not craft anymore. I was near starving and whatever the comparable label for thirst is. It would not have been so bad if not for having bones in my inventory as well. Though I must admit seeing the day go by in a matter of moments was different.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: April 26, 2013, 08:30:08 pm »

That's why I suggested a "craft/construct for x amount of time" prompt/option, but I think I got ignored.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 1086