Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1863052 times)

nichaey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2340 on: April 25, 2013, 06:34:10 pm »

Excellent game, I have spent many hours on it over the last week.
Well, I just had a modified pickup truck of death, that was quite fun. I had a full row of blades at the front, a rear cab window to see backwards, there was an extra row of trunks and another row of frames to box it in. It actually looked like a truck.

Unfortunately I was instagibbed by an exploding slime. I had full life and heavy armor, but it seems that a certain blob sets off a nuclear explosion when killed.
and then it was gone when I tried to return there with another character, along with 10 trunks worth of goodies...

A few minor issues are bugging me though;

-Gas tanks that are installed on vehicles do not hold nearly enough gas. They hold ~2L, which is very strange considering the jerry cans hold about 10 times that much.
-Berrys rot while theyre still in the ground. NO wonder the bears are so hungry.

Protip: if you don't want to get prompted to enter a vehicle everytime you step on a seat, "D"rop and item onto it (it can act as storage like a trunk) and you will not be prompted.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 06:54:58 pm by nichaey »
Blood For The Blood God!......Skulls For His Skull Throne!

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: April 25, 2013, 06:40:13 pm »

I'm removing the necessity for a pit and just adding a bit of extra time to the palisade wall construction time. No sense making the players do the extra three or four clicks required to dig a pit when the game could just abstract it.

We could do with a way to make constructions chain, so if a player opts to build a pit then a wall that is fine, but if they just build a wall the game notes that ground goes to pit and just tags that action onto the start of the queue.

This could extend so building a windows needs a window frame needs a wall which needs a etc etc etc.... obviously we'd have to be careful how far that goes.
I'm all in favour of removing 'monkey-work' type things for players.

There's certainly advantages to using the construction (or crafting, for that matter) chain system. The most obvious of which is that it stops a single crafting objective (such as building a fence post) being atomic, which benefits the player in cases where they are interrupted. From what I understand, though this is largely through observation in LPs as my character hasn't tried constructing anything yet, if you're interrupted while crafting or constructing something you're either lucky and get given the option to stop and react (in which case you lose all progress and will have to start afresh), or unlucky and your character stubbornly continues work until he's finished, allowing an enemy to stand there beating you while you're distracted with your work.

If, as Shades suggests, a single crafting objective (build a fence) was logically split up into multiple smaller actions, which the code helpfully strings together, then if you're interrupted you'll only lose the progress on the current step rather than the whole thing. The player could still be afforded the option to perform each step individually if they wanted (perhaps they don't want to commit too much time to the task, but want to get it started all the same), and if attempting to construct something on a tile which already has some of the work done, the code just skips the completed steps as necessary.

This would seem to be the best of both worlds :)

Sure am glad that the stuff I'm crafting has stopped being nuclear!

so far it looks like this:

Code: [Select]
Death by starvation or thirst

Shit shit shit

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: April 25, 2013, 08:53:59 pm »

Bah it would take weeks to properly starve, and probably a few days to die of dehydration.  Most characters don't last half that.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: April 25, 2013, 08:57:59 pm »

Wait we don't die of starvation or thirst now?  So all those times I've tried to go through a wolf spider just to get more supplies was for naught?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: April 25, 2013, 09:00:25 pm »

Well you do get some pretty severe speed penalties, so it may kill indirectly.

Last I checked tiredness does nothing though.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: April 25, 2013, 09:01:31 pm »

Personally I still sleep just to make the notifier go away.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: April 25, 2013, 09:03:07 pm »

Yea pretty much.  Usually can't accomplish much at night anyway.(at least how I play, others might feel otherwise)  Might as well pretend tiredness matters and nap now and then.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2347 on: April 25, 2013, 09:10:08 pm »

I find sleep a good way to quickly build up XP
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: April 25, 2013, 09:22:00 pm »

Last I checked tiredness does nothing though.
According to the wiki once your character hits 1000 on their tiredness counter then they will go to sleep regardless of if you want them to or not (potentially resulting in your death).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: April 25, 2013, 09:24:24 pm »

Oh.

Well I learned something then.   Please note the disclaimer in my sig, death by not sleeping is still dwarven in my book.  I think parents that can't find their brats do it.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: April 25, 2013, 09:45:53 pm »

Acid rain causes pain not injury

That seems lame. What was the decision process behind that?
It was leading to a lot of situations of 'Ah shit, it's acid rain and I won't be able to get back to shelter. May as well just quit', causing pain means its still an incentive to not go out, but it's no longer 'blarghldeath'.

Perhaps of note is that the penalties to speed that pain give rapidly lead to injury, anyway.  When you can't outrun brutes and can't out-maneuver cougars and wolves, death occurs rapidly.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: April 25, 2013, 11:18:29 pm »

Trees are much taller then I expected them to be. :P I just came this close to smashing my tent and all of my supplies to bits.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #2352 on: April 25, 2013, 11:46:16 pm »

It'd be cool if sleep deprivation had similar effects to RL. It'd be fun to have a character who's stumbling and fighting to stay awake while standing, all while hallucinations creep at the edges of his vision. Reading a book while tired, or doing anything unimportant and easy that entails staying in one spot, should result in falling asleep.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2353 on: April 26, 2013, 01:42:09 am »

Acid rain causes pain not injury

That seems lame. What was the decision process behind that?
It was leading to a lot of situations of 'Ah shit, it's acid rain and I won't be able to get back to shelter. May as well just quit', causing pain means its still an incentive to not go out, but it's no longer 'blarghldeath'.

Perhaps of note is that the penalties to speed that pain give rapidly lead to injury, anyway.  When you can't outrun brutes and can't out-maneuver cougars and wolves, death occurs rapidly.
You end up with such severe speed penalties that you can't eat fast enough to counter how quickly you're starving. I'm talking 8 hours to drink some water or eat something.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: April 26, 2013, 02:02:14 am »

Yeah, an hour of taking +pain is nothing to sneeze at.
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 1086