Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862457 times)

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2100 on: April 20, 2013, 02:58:44 pm »

What mode does everyone find themselves playing in? Static spawn on or off?

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #2101 on: April 20, 2013, 03:11:03 pm »

Trying to get some minor improvements to the health bar... what do people think?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I think it's better than what we have now.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: April 20, 2013, 03:41:23 pm »

I'm playing static spawn, hard at first but you can actually clear out towns, and you don't get zombies and shit spawning out of nowhere which I find irritating.
I've played a guitar with my penis.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: April 20, 2013, 03:56:02 pm »

Guys please play WarZ or whatever if you want easy gameplay.
A bar would give it too much of an arcade feel.
Its traditional for roguelikes not to have stupid bars for everything.

It's traditional for roguelikes to give you lots of details of your character, the main problem with hunger and thirst is you don't know how much it is and in what context. In the code itself it's something like hungry is ~600 hunger points while dangerous starving is ~2800 (something like that) but it's hard for new players to know how long you can go without food and drink, pretty much everything else you can see a nice baseline, fuel, morale, HP, you don't know when you are at half hunger or half thirst, the only thing you can see is when hunger and thirst affects you (speed initially).

Bars are a nice alternative to numbers especially when it allows the game to give you only a vague idea like health (as opposed to 50/125 health), however 'hungry' and 'thirsty' are too vague when you don't really know what full or empty is.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: April 20, 2013, 04:39:12 pm »

Id rather have messages appear, have dangerous levels of hunger cause weakness and pain.
Also most RLs that have bars are post 00s wannabe roguelikes.

Generally i think its sad when people suggest "remov gun naems 2 hard 2 find gun xP"
or "plz gibe soldjah gerh on spawn" "maek zombise slowers"

Sorrt if it sounds expensive
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: April 20, 2013, 04:42:06 pm »

Id rather have messages appear, have dangerous levels of hunger cause weakness and pain.
Also most RLs that have bars are post 00s wannabe roguelikes.

Generally i think its sad when people suggest "remov gun naems 2 hard 2 find gun xP"
or "plz gibe soldjah gerh on spawn" "maek zombise slowers"

Sorrt if it sounds expensive

Y'know what sounds equally as sad?

"ERMAGHERD! BARZ!? NOES!"

And

"ERMAGHERD! STUFFZ TO MAEK GAEMZ MORE ACCESSIBALLZ!? NOES!"

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #2106 on: April 20, 2013, 04:42:49 pm »

???
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: April 20, 2013, 04:53:49 pm »

Roguelikes have evolved so much from Rogue you can't really call them roguelikes anymore, I honestly don't think adding bars (which are already in anyway) to Cataclysm will detract it as a game and it's just stupid to try and say it will turn it into a wannabe roguelike as if it's not going to get into the roguelike club or roguebasin are going to banish it.

Messages are fine but you don't know the limit, you have Full, Hungry, Very Hungry. how far is a player supposed to know where it end? Really Very Hungry? Quite Famished? A little bit More Hungry? Dead?

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: April 20, 2013, 04:59:19 pm »

I'd quite like to have hunger/thirst bars, really. Look at Unreal World, it has had them for quite some time and they're pretty handy.

I'm playing static spawn, hard at first but you can actually clear out towns, and you don't get zombies and shit spawning out of nowhere which I find irritating.

Yeah, I kind of wrote the game off for a while because having enemies appearing from literally nowhere was awful. When I finally checked up on it again static spawn was implemented and it was glorious.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: April 20, 2013, 05:09:58 pm »

Why not a freaking option?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: April 20, 2013, 05:13:29 pm »

for what?
static spawn has an option.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Kaje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: April 20, 2013, 05:22:52 pm »

Roguelikes have evolved so much from Rogue you can't really call them roguelikes anymore, I honestly don't think adding bars (which are already in anyway) to Cataclysm will detract it as a game and it's just stupid to try and say it will turn it into a wannabe roguelike as if it's not going to get into the roguelike club or roguebasin are going to banish it.

Messages are fine but you don't know the limit, you have Full, Hungry, Very Hungry. how far is a player supposed to know where it end? Really Very Hungry? Quite Famished? A little bit More Hungry? Dead?

Agreed! :)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: April 20, 2013, 06:04:13 pm »

for what?
static spawn has an option.

I think he meant for the bars.

While it would be handy, I think messing with the layout of the screeny information stuff in the options menu (that is, the inclusion/exclusion of hunger and thirst bars) might be a little complicated to include. However, I don't know much in the way of coding, so I could be spewing nonsense.

And I'm alright with including bars. While DrPoo does not approve (I'll say that every time you make it so, but I'll refrain from posting the picture again), I'm with the group that says it'd make knowing the limit a bit easier, while not as exact as numbers (though mayhaps include that as another 1 or 2 point perk?), which is in my opinion a pretty good representation of how a person would keep tabs on their own status.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: April 20, 2013, 06:39:20 pm »

Oh... Uh... woops. got confused. on the forums most of the fighting has been over static spawn.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: April 20, 2013, 07:07:21 pm »

Oh my. This is a real gem.
http://www.cataclysmdda.com/smf/index.php?topic=253.0
A 1000mph plate of engines.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 139 140 [141] 142 143 ... 1086