Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862399 times)

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #2115 on: April 20, 2013, 10:32:54 pm »

I'm with the group that says it'd make knowing the limit a bit easier, while not as exact as numbers (though mayhaps include that as another 1 or 2 point perk?), which is in my opinion a pretty good representation of how a person would keep tabs on their own status.

This is a perk, Self Aware for 1 point.
I've played a guitar with my penis.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: April 20, 2013, 11:29:22 pm »

My suggestion was in reference to hunger/thirst meters exclusively, though I don't see much problem in lumping them together. MAybe increase it to two points instead of two different perks.

Of course, this is all speculation based on the hunger/thirst bar concept.

nichaey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: April 20, 2013, 11:38:11 pm »

There's something to be said for a game where you can throw a rotten chunk of meat from a car doing over 100kmph and headshot a crow; killing it.

This game
Blood For The Blood God!......Skulls For His Skull Throne!

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: April 21, 2013, 02:27:25 am »

Funny enough i wasnt drunk that day still i cant even remember posting that.
By the sad levels of spelling and abuse of terms, i guess that was a sleepy-post.

Im ok with bars for other things. It just dosent feel very right that a person knows the exact ammount of joules left in their body or knowing the integrity of their armsin percent. It sounds like a thing a bionic could do. But it would be much better to make messages appear and giving penalities untill you eventually die.

For me, RL is the grindcore of video games. Its hard to access and enjoy, usually has elements the mainstream considers distasteful. It feelslike you guys are trying to turn this into pop rock, easily accessible by the masses and conforms to the conformism of the consumerist masses.

Having generic stupid gun names like "9mm SMG" and "40. Rifle" might make it more accessible, but it also takes a great deal of depth away from the game too.
Likewise does having bars telling the exact values of everything and how close to death you are, just ruins it.

Furthermore, when you become hungry, you shouldnt ignore it because you think shooting zomgs is funnier, this isnt ARMA2 or Garrys Mod, those are buffets full of delicious stuff you can choose to eat from when you want.  Cataclysm is that abusive alcoholic dad you had that would make some half cooked half spoilt meal of yucky vegetables and cheap chicken then throw bits of food at you, then the utensils, then smack a dish into your ugly face. Broom the pieces together, take a giant shit on it and says "dinners fucking served ya lil prick"

In GMOD clicking play means instant fun.
Cataclysms play button either means "kill my character instantly" or "give me an adventure out of this world full of starvation, hardships, drug abuse and baby eating"

That is what makes Cataclysm awesome and unique, and that should not ever change, ever.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: April 21, 2013, 03:14:10 am »

Thing is we already have health bars. I'd rather have hunger/thirst bars than the rather unhelpful messages we have now. Besides, the bars would just indicate how hungry/thirsty you feel, bars don't give you exact values... that's why people whine about the whole self-aware/hp ignorant change.

It seems like you're really set on this not being accessible for some reason... I mean, there's accessible and then there's "accessible" (aka, watered-down for the lowest common denominator crap). I would say bars are more in the accessible category. They don't hurt the game in any way and they give a bit more information to the player.
In all honesty I'd like to see the UI improved in general, some of the menus are just a mess.

I'd agree with the generic gun names thing being awful ("accessible"), but I don't think anybody else here has even mentioned that, so I'm not sure where that's coming from.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 03:21:18 am by Jehdin »

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: April 21, 2013, 03:27:31 am »

Stuffed-(blank)-hungry-very hungry-starving
Same scale for drinking,

Just change these frigging words for ( ) (-) (--) (---) (----) replace these (--) for a frigging color code bar, what have you and you are done, myself i prefer seeing word instead of bar... i dont understand why ppl wants bar on that when they have words, its either that or i misunderstood the current subject or a game changes? Come on now...
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: April 21, 2013, 03:30:23 am »

I would definitely hope for a better system than that, that would literally be pointless.

Trying to get some minor improvements to the health bar... what do people think?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Looks better than the stars to me, the stars always seemed like a strange choice to represent a health bar.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 03:34:22 am by Jehdin »

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: April 21, 2013, 03:34:57 am »

I would definitely hope for a better system than that, that would literally be pointless.
The bars would do the very same job as the words currently does, i dont know why you want to change the current system, write up how it could be improve because, i for one, i really dont see how it could be improve, and telling me its better if we know we are 67% about to die of hunger, well thats no fun for me and thats REALLY not even CLOSE to be immersive. Want that %? write up a bionic or suggest that bionic/CBM but NOT in vanilla for god sake.
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2123 on: April 21, 2013, 03:37:46 am »

But the bars don't tell you what percent of your health is left. S:

From what I see it's just an unnumbered bar.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: April 21, 2013, 03:42:12 am »

There's something to be said for a game where you can throw a rotten chunk of meat from a car doing over 100kmph and headshot a crow; killing it.

It's the story of the colossus and the fluffy wambler all over again.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: April 21, 2013, 03:42:26 am »

Well its a game and for the sake of immersivness i prefer the news changes on the new HP thingy and made it a perk to have to know exactly. My point of view tho, if you are not a medic or nurse its hard to know the EXACT wound importance ( here its dictated in HP % amount etc ), having a generic * bar give you an approx wound importance thingy ( FRACK HATE being french... ) just like in real life.

Jehdin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: April 21, 2013, 03:51:50 am »

The bars would do the very same job as the words currently does, i dont know why you want to change the current system, write up how it could be improve because, i for one, i really dont see how it could be improve, and telling me its better if we know we are 67% about to die of hunger, well thats no fun for me and thats REALLY not even CLOSE to be immersive. Want that %? write up a bionic or suggest that bionic/CBM but NOT in vanilla for god sake.

You and DrPoo seem to be under the impression that a bar includes numbers for some reason... There are no numbers, it's just a bar (Like HP is now with no self-aware trait.)

And if you're talking about bars indicating a certain percentage, then words do that too since they trigger at certain hunger/thirst values, so I'm not really sure what the big deal is.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: April 21, 2013, 03:57:37 am »

You and DrPoo seem to be under the impression that a bar includes numbers for some reason... There are no numbers, it's just a bar (Like HP is now with no self-aware trait.)

And if you're talking about bars indicating a certain percentage, then words do that too since they trigger at certain hunger/thirst values, so I'm not really sure what the big deal is.
Well in this case why change * for squares? it would do the same job.. thats not an improvement, thats changing a character for another one....

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2128 on: April 21, 2013, 04:06:56 am »

(removed)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 07:07:04 am by Toady One »
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: April 21, 2013, 04:36:18 am »

Well in this case why change * for squares? it would do the same job.. thats not an improvement, thats changing a character for another one....

In that case, why argue either side? If it's just changing one character for another surely that doesn't warrant arguing over? That's like arguing over plump helmets having their characters changed in DF but still remaining functionally identical.

Fuck this. DDA is turning into a shitfest of casuals that wants to shave off the depth and turn the game into a low hanging fruit. Cant fucking believe this comes from the DF forum.
Im out.

...Is this a serious post or sarcasm? I genuinely can't tell.
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 1086