Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862927 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #1965 on: April 16, 2013, 02:49:40 pm »

My best strategy for wolves, zombie dogs, and basically anything that rips your clothes to shreds in melee range:

Pick up a couple of rocks. Go somewhere safe and practice throwing them around. Get at least 1 point in throwing by doing this. Then find some knives, preferably butchers knives, from some outskirts houses. Throw them at every rabbit and squirrel you see. Throw them everywhere. Get your throwing skill up as fast as possible.

Throwing is massively undervalued amongst Cata players, I feel. My character carries a set of 4 Combat knives. They are my primary weapon. Throw a knife at a wolf less than 3 squares away and it'll drop it one hit. Point blank almost guarantees a headshot on whatever's attacking you.

I slept in a building with a broken window one night. I woke up to a bear mauling my ribcage open. 4 turns later, dead bear corpse full of knives. :3

KNIVES!!!! Also great for killing Brutes and Soldiers without taking a single hit. I lub it.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1966 on: April 16, 2013, 02:50:42 pm »

Rock throwing is the bomb, between that and a crowbar you should be able to make it though the first bit until you get proper gear.
I've played a guitar with my penis.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1967 on: April 16, 2013, 06:26:03 pm »

Welp, crashed to desktop and lost about a week of gameplay. :(

It happened when I was burning rotten meat, sinew and bones on a brazier. The brazier was surrounded by items on all sides because I had dropped tons of the stuff. My plan was to burn it all away. I burnt a few items, and then picked up the next load. As I was dropping them into the brazier, the game crashed.

The only reason I didn't have Autosave on is because it saves too frequently... and I then I kinda forgot about it, because the game used to do it unobtrusively and I forgot. :c And because it had never crashed yet up to that point.

Edit: I turned Autosave on now and it's causing some pretty hilarious bugs during crafting. I started crafting some Batteries and it decided that was the perfect time to save. Now it thinks I have every possible permutation of every item available to use. I'm going to tell it to use Lemons which don't exist within a 100 mile radius of me, what's the worst that could happen? :D
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 07:49:26 pm by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Lukewarm

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps, if you ask nicely.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1968 on: April 16, 2013, 07:52:32 pm »

I made a longbow first thing, and I'm doing pretty well. I empty out a few houses, bash down a door, make a few dozen more arrows, rinse and repeat. Once the skill's up, nothing can touch you. Spitters can be a trouble, but if you take your time there shouldn't be too much trouble handling them.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1969 on: April 16, 2013, 07:56:14 pm »

I though I was doing pretty well with my crossbow, but the damn thing is too slow to reload. I'll try a longbow next.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1970 on: April 16, 2013, 07:58:07 pm »

Spitters and Shockers both annoyed the hell outta me; I disabled them both.

Honestly, when you're trying to fight off a bunch of enemies, suddenly having a shitstorm of things surrounding your character that you need to get away from is really infuriating.
Considering the fact that Cataclysm is a 1-player game, do we really need attacks with area of effect? It just makes it painful to be in combat at all, especially if you go melee. I think all ranged attacks from enemies should work exactly like the player's do.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1971 on: April 16, 2013, 08:02:55 pm »

Spitters and shockers aren't that tough to dodge. It takes them a while to recharge their special, too. When a spitter is chasing you, it's best to charge head-on: you'll usually end up with an empty tile/path out of the acid puddle. With shockers, duck and weave: they rarely (if ever) get a direct hit, so just keep running and put a lot of distance from the sparks because they like to travel.

Btw, my crafting with non-existent items "failed, and you waste a lot of materials". Hokay.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1972 on: April 16, 2013, 08:46:14 pm »

Spitters and Shockers both annoyed the hell outta me; I disabled them both.

Honestly, when you're trying to fight off a bunch of enemies, suddenly having a shitstorm of things surrounding your character that you need to get away from is really infuriating.
Considering the fact that Cataclysm is a 1-player game, do we really need attacks with area of effect? It just makes it painful to be in combat at all, especially if you go melee. I think all ranged attacks from enemies should work exactly like the player's do.

Painful to be in combat? That's the point. AOE isn't just for groups. It's for surrounding single opponents as well.

Sirian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1973 on: April 16, 2013, 08:56:55 pm »

Rock throwing is the bomb, between that and a crowbar you should be able to make it though the first bit until you get proper gear.

That, also if you're like me and don't want to waste points on skills you should be able to make a nail board pretty much instantly without leaving the shelter, after you smash a couple benches, and that's a great starter weapon as well. After that, rocks are indeed great to throw until you find a crossbow trap, trigger it or make something trigger it, and use it to train archery against a wall until you can make a longbow. Once you have a pair of fit glove liners, a longbow, a nice stash of arrows and (eventually) a good skill level, you can pretty much instakill any basic threats. Right now, I can fire and reload that bow so fast that I can attack 3 times something that is in melee range without even taking a single attack. However, some types of enemies are a bit harder, like insects with a shell, skeletons, and some of the armored zombies.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #1974 on: April 16, 2013, 09:16:42 pm »

A nice tip for training up archery. After you sleep and you have all that xp laying around not being used smash all the benches in the place and use the 2x4 to craft arrows. It should get you up there in skill and provide you with a few hundred. arrows so you wont run out any time soon.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

Azated

• Bay Watcher
  • ohai der
    • View Profile
« Reply #1975 on: April 16, 2013, 09:19:30 pm »

Crossbows seem like the ultimate weapon to me. Silent, high damage, relatively long range, and very easy to obtain for new characters. Their only downside is the reload, but I find that You can still get three or four shots off until you need to switch to a melee weapon and finish the zeds off.
Then it happened. Then I cringed. Then I picked it up and beat him to death with it, and then his buddies, too.
You beat a man to death with his dick?

"I don't feel like myself. Maybe I should have Doc take a look at me" ~ Dreamy
 "You're gonna trust a dwarf that got his medical degree from a pickaxe?" ~ Bossy

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1976 on: April 16, 2013, 09:21:35 pm »

Or keep a few back-up crossbows. Depending on how heavy they are, of course.

On the other hand, if you're in an area with more than 10 zeds, you're either clearing a town (hopefully with a car with spikes) or are going to die. So put all your other stuff in your base, go out with 3 crossbows, and collect resources! :D
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1977 on: April 16, 2013, 10:51:45 pm »

Hmm. Chitinous boots are actually worse than steel toed boots. They have exactly the same stats, but you can find a pair that fits for 0 encumbrance whereas from what I've seen no Chitinous boots you craft ever fit, although I only made 4 pairs to test it.

Might wanna tweak the chitinous boots to differentiate them from steel toed. Maybe less warm but better cut protection. *shrug*

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1978 on: April 16, 2013, 11:05:26 pm »

Finally managed to get a guy that seems decent at surviving. Nail boards are apparently really robust.

EDIT: As in, being able to one-shot a cougar robust.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1979 on: April 17, 2013, 01:03:21 am »

Cougars are actually pretty weak. They have less HP than a normal Z. They just jump around and are fast. And possibly harder to hit.
Pages: 1 ... 130 131 [132] 133 134 ... 1086