Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862680 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #615 on: February 04, 2013, 06:10:48 pm »

Convince the guy who did the old tile mod to update it and that shit will be mainlined so fast you don't even know. :P (And I'll release a version with tiles enabled and one disabled by default, don't worry)

We already have a full set drawn thanks to Deon that looks good and someone else did a good looking set too, either would work.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #616 on: February 04, 2013, 06:15:35 pm »

Those tilesets are missing the several hundred new items though.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: February 04, 2013, 06:48:44 pm »

Well, one of them left most items as item symbols, just upgraded them to 3d and did terrain backgrounds. Maybe we should go with that one.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: February 05, 2013, 04:49:44 am »

I've never used a tile set, nor do I intend to. I ask only that you make the tilesets completely optional, and leave DDA easy to compile :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Absolute Niro

• Bay Watcher
  • I HATE DOGS
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: February 05, 2013, 01:40:57 pm »

I'd love to play this game. Problem is I never played the first Cataclysm and have absolutely no idea how to. Halp.

As for tiles, it should be very quick work if you rush it. Most people who don't like ASCII would probably prefer really bad pixel art to ASCII, so you could basically slap some dark green on a canvas and call it grass, a single generic gun icon should work for all firearms, etc.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: February 05, 2013, 02:16:23 pm »

If it's the tileset I think it is those actually looked pretty awesome.  But It might be difficult to recreate that person's style if they aren't working on it still.  And then there's the whole continuing the tileset without their knowledge deal which probably isn't the best thing to do.

Got a crash for ya.  It seems you can do a number of things outside while inside your car.  That doesn't seem to cause many problems.  And it's interesting to imagine your character driving one handed and reaching out an open car door to scoop up that dead zombie's Browning BLR.  Even if it's probably closer to your character reaching through the floor.

But I just tried to butcher a trifflid corpse while criusing down the road at 10 mph.  As amusing a mental image that is, the game said "WTF, dude not cool." and crashed.  Looks like the butcher command might need to be disabled while in a vehicle. Possibly a few other things too depending on how realistic you want to go.

I'd love to play this game. Problem is I never played the first Cataclysm and have absolutely no idea how to. Halp.

Theres a tutorial under Special... on the main menu.  Donno how relevant it still is but it should teach you some basic commands.  Other than that some other important keys are:
Spoiler: keys (click to show/hide)

And useful tools that you probably want to look out for:
Spoiler: tools (click to show/hide)

Makes me wonder, is there a wiki for Dark Days ahead or are we still using whalesdev?

« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 02:51:22 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: February 05, 2013, 03:02:02 pm »

On the note of tilesets, will they with The Darkling Wolf's mod? Only thing staving me off, barely.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: February 05, 2013, 03:02:40 pm »

On the note of tilesets, will they with The Darkling Wolf's mod? Only thing staving me off, barely.
There is no more Darkling mod. This is Darkling's (and some other people's) branch.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: February 05, 2013, 04:17:04 pm »

The tilesets only work with an OLD version of WhalesCata.

I believe the actual tile artists are more than happy to make more tiles, this isn't the problem. Gremour, who created the original tileset code, which is pretty damn complicated, hasn't updated it in a long time, and someone would need to port it forward to get it working again.

As for tiles, it should be very quick work if you rush it. Most people who don't like ASCII would probably prefer really bad pixel art to ASCII, so you could basically slap some dark green on a canvas and call it grass, a single generic gun icon should work for all firearms, etc.
Harharharhar. Making nice tiles would not create all that much more work than making crappy tiles. The big workload is getting a tilesystem working at all. Thankfully, someone's already done most of the work, we just need a brave coder willing to shove it in.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 04:19:13 pm by GlyphGryph »

Owly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: February 06, 2013, 07:35:21 pm »

I'm trying to compile cataclysm, but there seems to be a problem with "algorithm", one of the files that is being included. The compiler claims that the error is that there is "no viable overloaded '='." Help?
!!Emergency Irrigation!!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: February 06, 2013, 10:45:54 pm »

Totally off topic, but GlyphGryph, your avatar is adorable.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: February 06, 2013, 10:51:04 pm »

Sorry if this is already answered somewhere, but I didn't see it in a cursory glance through the thread.

I'm trying to build a 'Makeshift Bed' in an evac shelter basement.  When I go to build it, it prompts for which direction to build in, but there is no amount of space or orientation that doesn't fail with the incredibly helpful message "You cannot build there!"

Since building things is now a feature intrinsic to this version of the game, what am I doing wrong?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: February 07, 2013, 12:06:03 am »

This sounds like a problem with the game not considering basement floors acceptable building locations, where as it should be. I've run into similar problems before. Unhelpful, I know.

Spaceman96

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: February 07, 2013, 12:12:53 am »

I ran into a problem where it wouldn't accept any building as possible, not even cleaning windows of broken glass. It fixed itself after I died, but it was still annoying.

Mini

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: February 07, 2013, 02:01:33 am »

I'm trying to compile cataclysm, but there seems to be a problem with "algorithm", one of the files that is being included. The compiler claims that the error is that there is "no viable overloaded '='." Help?
Not posting the full error message is 90% of the time useless.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 1086