Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860666 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #135 on: January 04, 2013, 03:11:17 pm »

How do you determine that it is "nails" that gets assigned letter "b" on the first page?

If you drop the nails, does "combat knife" become assigned to letter "p" on page 1?

Yerp. Basically. If you were to drop the Longbow, you'd move the combat knife [assigned 'p'] and duct tape [assigned 'q'] upwards, as categories use 1 line on the inventory screen.

If the inventory is listed as-is, sorted by pickup-time, the letters can be chosen by that order. If not you'll have to sort items in-category differently than you do now. Alphabetizing would be easiest [programming-wise, game-wise it'd be a bit of a mess once you get large amounts of items to look through, but it's already a mess since it's chaos as-is], I assume. But I'm not entirely sure on that. It seems a bit wonky with how it already lists items in-category as is, honestly.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 03:17:10 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 04, 2013, 03:32:41 pm »

Oh and this is unrelated to my other stuff, Darkling, you might wanna fix this ;p
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #137 on: January 04, 2013, 03:39:56 pm »

Yeah, that's fixed in my offline repo.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

casserol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 04, 2013, 03:42:01 pm »

Any plans regarding a tileset ? rustmik simple tiles were gorgeous, i'd love to have them in the up-to-date version.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 04, 2013, 03:47:13 pm »

I love you guys for taking up this project, and I hope that you turn Cataclysm into the best roguelike survival game ever made.

Good luck, chaps.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 04, 2013, 03:52:21 pm »

Any plans regarding a tileset ? rustmik simple tiles were gorgeous, i'd love to have them in the up-to-date version.

Yes, although those plans most revolve around getting hold of Gremour, who did the original tileset mod, since I don't know how he did it.

If that doesn't work, someone will hopefully be able to redo it, and we can get it mainlined quicklike this time around.

I hope to go the DungeonCrawl route and have the game come with a tiles or ascii version, and you can choose which to play.

ComputerWarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 04, 2013, 04:46:04 pm »

Been enjoying the game so far. Just a quick question; How do I turn on the headlights (whilst in a car)?

EDIT: Nevermind, found out about it. It was the '$' key.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 05:19:49 pm by ComputerWarrior »
Aye, but when you play a fighter, only doors will know fear in your presence.

Carrion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 04, 2013, 05:16:55 pm »

Yerp. Basically. If you were to drop the Longbow, you'd move the combat knife [assigned 'p'] and duct tape [assigned 'q'] upwards, as categories use 1 line on the inventory screen.

If the inventory is listed as-is, sorted by pickup-time, the letters can be chosen by that order. If not you'll have to sort items in-category differently than you do now. Alphabetizing would be easiest [programming-wise, game-wise it'd be a bit of a mess once you get large amounts of items to look through, but it's already a mess since it's chaos as-is], I assume. But I'm not entirely sure on that. It seems a bit wonky with how it already lists items in-category as is, honestly.

I can't remember for sure, but I think this is similar to UnReal World's inventory labeling system.  I like how it works.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 04, 2013, 06:02:21 pm »

I know it's been debated heavily before, but the thing I would like to see changed the most with inventory management is for containers to actually contain items.  If I want to use something from my backpack (have it assigned a letter in my inventory) I have to remove it from the bag.  When I pick up a bag, everything inside the bag is taken with it.  I haven't played in a long time, but I remember that dropping and picking stuff up was a horribly tedious and frequent part of the game.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 04, 2013, 07:00:14 pm »

I know it's been debated heavily before, but the thing I would like to see changed the most with inventory management is for containers to actually contain items.  If I want to use something from my backpack (have it assigned a letter in my inventory) I have to remove it from the bag.  When I pick up a bag, everything inside the bag is taken with it.  I haven't played in a long time, but I remember that dropping and picking stuff up was a horribly tedious and frequent part of the game.

I second this.

It would allow people to drop backpacks to fight so they wouldn't be encumbered, then pick them back up when they're ready to get out of there and still have their items. As it is now if you drop your backpack, you're somehow still carrying that crapton of items you had, and you have to drop everything you don't want to have on you piece by piece... which is a pain.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 07:01:48 pm by Nighthawk »

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 04, 2013, 07:54:28 pm »

Good points to consider... both mine and Mics proposals would be pretty contrary to a container based system as, but could easily be modified... For example, take my system and have each page as a container instead of a category, and have the ability to drop a page at once as a container item with those contents.

9 containers should be more than enough, I'd think.

At that point, we're talking manual item management between pages, though, and it means a bigger overhaul than what we are talking about so far...

Over on the new forums, I'm gonna stick up a poll as to what our next priority should be. While it's not exactly binding (we have to balance ease of implementation with desirability with developer enthusiasm) it would be good to know, so head on over in a couple minutes.

www.cataclysm.glyphgryph.com/smf/index.php?topic=26.0
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 08:06:30 pm by GlyphGryph »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 04, 2013, 08:23:19 pm »

This is fun, I should've tried it ages ago. Thank you for your work with updating it.

I found a character corrupting bug. Didn't lose much, and I have no idea what caused it, but a save might be helpful at some point for narrowing it down, so here.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 04, 2013, 11:32:36 pm »

About the inventory limit, can't we just make it a scrolling system and not the incredibly unwieldy keyboard keys?

Like how Dwarf Fortress handles items, for example.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

kenpoaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 05, 2013, 12:37:27 am »

Am I doing it wrong?

I cut down a tree, but when I hit 'chop up log' I get a ton of items called log and no 2x4's. Is there another step after and I'm just being dumb, or is making 2x4's via trees bugged atm?
This forum is a bunch of nutters, and you couldn't point to anything to contradict it.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #149 on: January 05, 2013, 12:42:51 am »

(a)ctivate an axe to chop the logs further into planks. You get between 1 and 12 planks per log, dependant on RNG and your construction skill.
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 1086