Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1860206 times)

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2013, 02:59:10 am »

Question.
Is the tutorial building still destructible?
If it is, I think something should be done.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2013, 04:07:39 am »

Pretty awesome effect you got there.  Fire actually is capable of wrecking buildings with that system then, instead of just spreading a little bit and then refusing to spread to the rest of the building.  And wow is it quick.

Keep up the good work escaping that building was a blast!

Holy fucking shit thats apocalyptic.
Darkling, dont fix this pleeeehse!
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2013, 09:49:54 am »

It's not a bug, it's fully intended behaviour.

Question.
I think the tutorial building being destructable is one of the best lessons there is though. Set the place on fire and you get to see what not to do in your safehouse :P
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2013, 09:55:32 am »

Alright, been a while since I last cracked open the Cataclysm source code.  What's a feature someone would like to see added?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2013, 10:39:53 am »

And CP, both vehicles and the lightning mod have caused some slowdown from what I understood of the benchmark discussions up until now - since both are in this version, that could well be the cause. Something I or someone else might look into sooner rather than later.
Nice :D

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

The Darkling Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Arf!
    • View Profile
    • Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2013, 10:48:34 am »

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure we've already optimized both of them as much as is possible to do.

Although, do you self compile or play the precompiled version?
My cabbages!
[Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker]

I am fat, eating is my great joy.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2013, 10:54:15 am »

Vehicles and lights are big processes.  You can optimize them a lot, but in the end, if you want nice things you're gonna get some drag :P

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2013, 11:13:52 am »

Alright, been a while since I last cracked open the Cataclysm source code.  What's a feature someone would like to see added?

Feature request! Rotten corpses, meat and veggi disappears a week after it goes rotten.  The corpses outside my safehouse are practically a carpet at this point, and it will probably take days to butcher it all and throw it in a fire.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2013, 11:55:30 am »

How about the wiki? Do you expand the wiki to cover stuff in the post-Whales release

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2013, 01:13:47 pm »

It's not a bug, it's fully intended behaviour.

Question.
I think the tutorial building being destructable is one of the best lessons there is though. Set the place on fire and you get to see what not to do in your safehouse :P
Is it good that i managed to blow it up on my first try?
Didn't manage to figure out how to escape tough.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2013, 01:19:23 pm »

Is it possible to add broken down cars on the road, with a rare chance of a working one? It seems strange that the only cars in the world are parked neatly in parking lots.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2013, 01:22:35 pm »

Is it possible to add broken down cars on the road, with a rare chance of a working one? It seems strange that the only cars in the world are parked neatly in parking lots.
This sounds really great. Random broken cars that have a few car parts and mayby some stuff you'd expect to find in a car trunk.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2013, 01:40:47 pm »

Feature request! Rotten corpses, meat and veggi disappears a week after it goes rotten.  The corpses outside my safehouse are practically a carpet at this point, and it will probably take days to butcher it all and throw it in a fire.
I'll see.  I'm not too familiar with time issues or adding and removing items, but it should be plausible.  Probably won't work very well...  I think tweaking the rot function will be the only method.  Cataclysm doesn't actually track time on items, there is no "X ticks until rot" there is instead "Item was created on X" and then it calculates as needed.  This helps deal with things like items outside the active map, that will rot as soon as you enter the area, instead of constantly counting their rot.

This should be easier.  In theory, it's just a matter of accessing the mapgen, and tweaking the "place an item here" to include a damage value.  Then you should be able to get things like ruined cars, torn sneakers, bent pipes, etc.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2013, 01:51:56 pm »

I'll see.  I'm not too familiar with time issues or adding and removing items, but it should be plausible.  Probably won't work very well...  I think tweaking the rot function will be the only method.  Cataclysm doesn't actually track time on items, there is no "X ticks until rot" there is instead "Item was created on X" and then it calculates as needed.  This helps deal with things like items outside the active map, that will rot as soon as you enter the area, instead of constantly counting their rot.

This should be easier.  In theory, it's just a matter of accessing the mapgen, and tweaking the "place an item here" to include a damage value.  Then you should be able to get things like ruined cars, torn sneakers, bent pipes, etc.

Wouldnt it be easier to have ruined versions of the pregenned cars and have those genned instead?
I want wrecked cars too :(

Also make brushes less of a death trap plz
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2013, 02:03:59 pm »

Also make brushes less of a death trap plz

Seriously. It should not hurt every damn time I happen to step on a tile of bramble or a brush. Rubble actually makes sense to get hurt by, but you should just be slowed by shrubs and brushes. It honestly doesn't make any damn sense to me. I get hurt more by walking through forests than by enemies.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 1086