Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 563 564 [565] 566 567 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861625 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #8460 on: October 26, 2013, 01:13:40 pm »

Pot helmet is actually fairly good. Because head encumbrance doesn't affect much of anything except how much you can wear, and it stops a fair amount of damage, it doesn't slow you down. You'll want to replace it eventually (I'm currently wearing a Leather Armor Helm over a Rain Hood over a Baseball Cap), but for early game it's excellent protection.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

IronTomato

• Bay Watcher
  • VENGEANCE
    • View Profile
« Reply #8461 on: October 28, 2013, 07:23:06 am »

I love the internal furnace CBM so much. Just because it can give me the message "You eat your matchbook."

I, for myself, prefer to eat headwear . The first time I read "you cannot wear your tin can of ravioli as a hat !", I promised myself that one day cataclysm would pay for this. Now I may still not wear food, but I can eat hats, which kind of makes us square.
Once I get that, the first thing I'll do is eat shoes.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8462 on: October 28, 2013, 08:57:39 am »

Is there any downside to chigging caffeine pills instead of sleep, apart from the lack of healing?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8463 on: October 28, 2013, 08:59:40 am »

Is there any downside to chigging caffeine pills instead of sleep, apart from the lack of healing?

As caffeine pills are not craftable (that I know of) at some point you will probably either run out or have to cheat them in.  No sleep won't harm you in and of itself - tired/awake is a single measure, and stimulants give you what sleep does, only in a more time-concentrated fashion (and without allowing healing over time).
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8464 on: October 28, 2013, 09:02:47 am »

Ok. BTW would it be possible to have an idea of a weapon's stat before crafting it? It seems weird that my survivor can craft a cestus, but I have no idea what it is.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8465 on: October 28, 2013, 09:15:00 am »

Ok. BTW would it be possible to have an idea of a weapon's stat before crafting it? It seems weird that my survivor can craft a cestus, but I have no idea what it is.
Press '?' while it's highlighted in the crafting screen.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8466 on: October 28, 2013, 09:24:07 am »

I want to carry your babies.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8467 on: October 28, 2013, 09:35:05 am »

I want to carry your babies.

Yes but if it has your DNA it will have trouble finding stuff right infront of them. Pressing ? or E is right there in the crafting menu. It's weird seeing people post stuff like "it would be awesome if you could close the game by pressing alt+f4" yet they never press alt+f4 when it's already implemented.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8468 on: October 28, 2013, 09:37:51 am »

That's a very strange analogy and kind of rude while at that, but I see your point.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8469 on: October 28, 2013, 09:45:53 am »

Yeah, you're right. My issue is that since I know the game already, I never read the instructions: except when I've seen a feature talked about, I can totally miss it.

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8470 on: October 28, 2013, 10:07:41 am »

Quote from: NullForceOmega
if I am keeping my core tempurature high, why am I still penalized for being cold blooded?
Because those aren't integrated, mostly because if we actually made you cold-blooded you'd die.
Basically the heat system has "being warm-blooded" factored into it, if we removed that boost, your body temp would converge to whatever the ambient temperature is, which would mean you'd become sluggish and fall asleep, and in many cases freeze to death.
I'm not totally against doing that, but it's a lot of work too :P
Quote from: casserol
I, for myself, prefer to eat headwear . The first time I read "you cannot wear your tin can of ravioli as a hat !", I promised myself that one day cataclysm would pay for this. Now I may still not wear food, but I can eat hats, which kind of makes us square.
Sigged

Hadn't considered the issue of reloading batteries, probably the solution to that will be to disallow stuffing handfulls of batteries into your car battery.  You can charge them from solar panels or just by driving around, and we'll add "crank/idle" for engines presently, so the awful hack of inserting batteries can go away.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #8471 on: October 28, 2013, 10:31:45 am »

The Cataclysm site is somehow down at the moment with a brief notice.

"We're sorry, but something went wrong."

o_O

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8472 on: October 28, 2013, 04:31:49 pm »

Just found the saddest restaurant ever. Big open dining floor... one single table sitting in the middle.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8473 on: October 28, 2013, 04:38:15 pm »

IRL, you can rent most restaurants for a set period of time.  You'll be paying thousands of dollars at a minimum, and if you need it for more than a few hours, expect that cost to skyrocket.

Movie filming is the most common reason for this to happen; major event private parties are a second high frequency reason.  Less common occurrences may include major business deals and the like.

I'd imagine that restaurant to have been rearranged to suit the needs of a single special event.  Maybe a wealthy fellow took his girl to a private meal at her favorite restaurant, right as things got too bad for any marriage to ever happen.

Alright, it's still a sad thing.  But it's not necessarily the restaurant that is so sad!
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8474 on: October 28, 2013, 04:54:57 pm »

Somehow I just got an urge to see if it's possible to mod cans of ravioli to be wearable as headwear while still keeping the contents edible.

I just imagine it as a guy in the zombie apocalypse running balancing a can of Chef Boyardee on his head with a stupid happy smile plastered over his face.   Perhaps it's partially embedded in his skull and causing brain damage that prevents him from being anything but ecstatic all the time.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 563 564 [565] 566 567 ... 1086