Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 562 563 [564] 565 566 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861652 times)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #8445 on: October 26, 2013, 03:29:13 am »

Spoiler: OMGOMGOMG (click to show/hide)
They're quick.
They're wiley.
They scheme and plot,
watch for their moose friends.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2013, 03:48:37 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8446 on: October 26, 2013, 08:51:12 am »

Well, my current apocalypse is going nicely, managed to loot most of a lab, cleared a bunker, and have been dabbling in mutations (web spinner is really annoying, even with web walker, also if I am keeping my core tempurature high, why am I still penalized for being cold blooded?) All the while slowly adding bionic systems, I have no food problems, and only occasional water issues, stupendously enough my only supply bottleneck is batteries, I'm astonished at how much difficulty I'm having keeping metal around to keep manufacturing them (small bottleneck in ammonia/vinegar as well, but I can supplement that with the occasional acid rain)  I don't think i'm quite ready for a super vehicle build yet, and I'm kind of regretting jacking city size up for more places to loot, beacause instead of more places to loot it's really just more places with nothing but junk.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

AVE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8447 on: October 26, 2013, 08:57:48 am »

I'm astonished at how much difficulty I'm having keeping metal around to keep manufacturing them
What?! All cities and most of the roads are literally FLOODING with metal. All the cars can be deconstructed to parts, which in turn can be deconstructed into sheets, lumps, scrap metal pieces, etc. I can understand an ammonia/vinegar/acid shortage, but metal...

Never ever underestimate the power of 'decompose item' magic.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8448 on: October 26, 2013, 09:03:09 am »

The problem is hauling that metal across a massive urban hellscape flooded with derilect vehicles, with mutations that don't like direct sunlight, while trying to preserve the batteries I do have. I am gettin ahead, but progress has slowed tremendously since I cleared the section of the city i occupy.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

casserol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8449 on: October 26, 2013, 09:25:26 am »

I love the internal furnace CBM so much. Just because it can give me the message "You eat your matchbook."

I, for myself, prefer to eat headwear . The first time I read "you cannot wear your tin can of ravioli as a hat !", I promised myself that one day cataclysm would pay for this. Now I may still not wear food, but I can eat hats, which kind of makes us square.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8450 on: October 26, 2013, 10:40:40 am »

The problem is hauling that metal across a massive urban hellscape flooded with derilect vehicles, with mutations that don't like direct sunlight, while trying to preserve the batteries I do have. I am gettin ahead, but progress has slowed tremendously since I cleared the section of the city i occupy.
Do you loot any of the innumerable houses around? Kitchens have vinegar, bathrooms have ammonia & bleach. Keep in mind you can take batteries out of devices- 100 in every flashlight/food dehydrator/mp3player etc.
Also, you can Disassemble cell phones & laptops for more- cellphones have something like 300 in each.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8451 on: October 26, 2013, 10:59:44 am »

Get a cart or weld together a hobo vehicle. Weld a few carts, a RV Kitchen Unit, and a Solar Panel to a mostly intact motorcycle, replace anything broken, and you have a nice apocalypse scooter - agile enough to pick a route through the abandoned vehicles, and with enough carrying capacity to carry a days worth of looting easy.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8452 on: October 26, 2013, 11:15:45 am »

Also: a number of cars requires just a bottle or two of gasoline to get working. Then you can move them to a safe location, plus car headlights are infinite directed flashlights.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8453 on: October 26, 2013, 11:16:36 am »

car headlights are infinite directed flashlights.
Doesn't the most recent experimental "fix" that?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8454 on: October 26, 2013, 11:20:23 am »

car headlights are infinite directed flashlights.
Doesn't the most recent experimental "fix" that?

I don't know, maybe. I'm playing an.older experimental, and since I had a shitton of lucky, I don't want to make a new char.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8455 on: October 26, 2013, 11:22:53 am »

You can always grab all your 'essentials' & import..
Badges of honor

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8456 on: October 26, 2013, 12:17:23 pm »

You can always grab all your 'essentials' & import..

Grabbing an armored car might prove difficult, I fear.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #8457 on: October 26, 2013, 12:26:51 pm »

Debug yourself equivalent mats, rebuild it. Or skip that step and debug one straight in.
Badges of honor

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8458 on: October 26, 2013, 12:38:12 pm »

I love the internal furnace CBM so much. Just because it can give me the message "You eat your matchbook."

I, for myself, prefer to eat headwear . The first time I read "you cannot wear your tin can of ravioli as a hat !", I promised myself that one day cataclysm would pay for this. Now I may still not wear food, but I can eat hats, which kind of makes us square.

The experimental I dled last night has a new armor craftable, a pot hat; made from yes, a pot.

Somehow I suspect you might get extra joy from trying to eat that one.  Being that it's mostly metal though your furnace might have trouble...

Perhaps someone will mod 'empty can mittens' for you; essentially you slip your hand into the empty can and try not to get your wrist cut on the rim, but the rest of your enclosed hand is somewhat more protected.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8459 on: October 26, 2013, 12:44:46 pm »

The experimental I dled last night has a new armor craftable, a pot hat; made from yes, a pot.

Somehow I suspect you might get extra joy from trying to eat that one.  Being that it's mostly metal though your furnace might have trouble...

Perhaps someone will mod 'empty can mittens' for you; essentially you slip your hand into the empty can and try not to get your wrist cut on the rim, but the rest of your enclosed hand is somewhat more protected.

At very least, you should be able to make can gauntlets (cantlets?).
Pages: 1 ... 562 563 [564] 565 566 ... 1086