Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 489 490 [491] 492 493 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1859702 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.8 "Romero" released!
« Reply #7350 on: October 04, 2013, 10:09:05 am »

Pneumatic assault rifles are fun, medium damage, good accuracy, ammo is literally everywhere, the ammo takes only 1 craft to make instead of 4, unlike a bow you can add gun mods to it, and it's a rifle, so if the ooze hits the fan, you can pull out a real rifle and be rambo.

I think I might have to add obtaining one of these to my "in case of zombie apocalypse" plans.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7351 on: October 04, 2013, 11:11:46 am »

You pour one bottle of gas on the rag.
You pour one battle into the glass bottle.
You drink the last to appease the gods of crafting and revolutions.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #7352 on: October 04, 2013, 12:36:22 pm »

Speaking of molotovs- it seems utterly baffling that you need 600 units of gasoline, collecting which you'll need at least three plastic bottles, and I'm pretty certain that glass flasks or bottles hold even less.

Where does it all go?

Glass bottles hold more than plastic ones. For some reason.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7353 on: October 04, 2013, 12:46:44 pm »

Pneumatic assault rifles are fun, medium damage, good accuracy, ammo is literally everywhere, the ammo takes only 1 craft to make instead of 4, unlike a bow you can add gun mods to it, and it's a rifle, so if the ooze hits the fan, you can pull out a real rifle and be rambo.

I think I might have to add obtaining one of these to my "in case of zombie apocalypse" plans.

It's ridiculously broken. It's pretty much all perks no cons

azmodean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7354 on: October 04, 2013, 01:01:09 pm »

I think a major balance point for them should probably be reloading, effectively it's the equivalent of bow vs longbow, as you have to pump up the pneumatic rifle, and we don't seem to be accounting for that to a reasonable extent.  Specifically it should probably have the RELOAD_ONE flag, and a somewhat lower time cost per reload, to account for a reload being "insert bolt, pump, pump, pump".  I notice that's what the "bolt driver" does, it might even be an oversight that the assault rifle version doesn't do the same.
I don't think Jesus died from thorns being pushed into his brain. RTFA

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7355 on: October 04, 2013, 01:15:52 pm »

Pneumatic or not it still doesn't make a lot of sense, the accuracy should be ridiculously bad and the damage should be lower. Which is weird coming from me, I normally argue that fun trumps realism but I feel that this powerful weapon which isn't too hard to obtain isn't really fun. I don't mind too much because if I don't like it I don't use it and I'm not going to go on some crusade to stop other people using it.

Doesn't change my opinion that it's broken though so I wouldn't worry too much about it. If someone wants a realistic weapons mod they can modify the JSON files and remove the recipes or alter the weapons etc...

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #7356 on: October 04, 2013, 01:29:24 pm »

Hey, is metabolic interchange any use? It sounds kinda...dangerous.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7357 on: October 04, 2013, 01:49:38 pm »

It is terrible and will kill you to power your integrated multitool/laser/flamethrower/vibrator/time machine.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7358 on: October 04, 2013, 02:22:34 pm »

If you have enough food go for it.
That said, it makes you hungry for food.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7359 on: October 04, 2013, 02:24:47 pm »

@pneumatic rifle
Yea this thing definitely seems more powerful than it should be.  Maybe if it had a high chance of jamming since you aren't using particularly uniform ammunition, I would also be for increasing the time it takes to fire.

I imagine it's kinda like a paintball gun, where the ammo is kept in a small gravity fed container on top of the gun.  Some way to indicate pumping the gun would be great too.  Increasing the time it takes to fire would probably be a nice easy way to simulate having to prime the thing when you fire. 

But it would be pretty cool to have a gun that you had to use an activate action on the gun to pump the gun up and then be able to get 5 or so shots off before you have to activate it again to re prime.  It's still a good efficient, quiet weapon, but it's a little more complicated to use.  That can be a downside too.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7360 on: October 04, 2013, 02:27:11 pm »

Hey, is metabolic interchange any use? It sounds kinda...dangerous.
It's a decent bionic if you have lots of food (and/or survival skill) and power hungry bionics.

What it does is increase your hunger and give you power in exchange. It stops draining nutrition once your reach Very Hungry. It's toggle-able now so it's utility is much higher.

IMO, the internal furnace is a much better option.

But it would be pretty cool to have a gun that you had to use an activate action on the gun to pump the gun up and then be able to get 5 or so shots off before you have to activate it again to re prime.  It's still a good efficient, quiet weapon, but it's a little more complicated to use.  That can be a downside too.
You could just increase the reload time and reduce the ammo capacity instead of creating a new, complicated mechanic for a single gun.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 02:30:50 pm by Blaze »

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7361 on: October 04, 2013, 02:29:25 pm »

MI can be turned on and off - ergo, there's little reason not to install it imo.  It will never take you below the very hungry category.

Given the plenitude of small and easy to squish critters, as well as larger critters, I consider it my second pick for recharge. It recharges fast and under almost all game conditions (unlike solar), I can't get addicted from fueling it (unlike ethanol burner), and I don't have this urge to destroy everything around me (like the matter conversion or whatever one), which is really useful because you know, sometimes I E typo instead of E type.  Get no saving through for most items once you have that power method.

Once I leave the earliest gameplay, food's usually super plentiful for me - so much that most of it is produced through my normal game play and is left to rot.  So MI for my playstyle is very comfortable.

My top pick is joint torsion; it's slower, but even from the very start of play it's 'safe and undemanding' to power up at any time, you can just pace a little if nothing else.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7362 on: October 04, 2013, 02:30:25 pm »

Question -how do I get into the basement in the science lab? There's a metal door with no access, and a bulletproof glass that I can't break.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7363 on: October 04, 2013, 02:31:58 pm »

Explosives.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7364 on: October 04, 2013, 02:32:29 pm »

Vehicle.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 489 490 [491] 492 493 ... 1086