Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 957 958 [959] 960 961 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862641 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #14370 on: November 09, 2014, 01:21:16 am »

Aren't there gardening stores packed full of seeds?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14371 on: November 09, 2014, 01:29:32 am »

Orange, they also do corn, wheat and cotton.

Potatoes, rice, most grains, all are GM,ed, and in many cases they are patented, which means that if you have a gene that they patented in your plant, say, from their plants pollen winding up in your seed-crop, which you then plant (and that can happen at distances of 5 miles), they can, will and do sue. This includes if you have a contract from them (or a subsidiary) to grow their crops for seed for them to sell.

And thats the main issue most people have with GM crops, besides the one that theres no regulation over this shit. Atleast not in most nations. And some of those have to remove their regs because of seeds getting smuggled in, grown, and then prepared for export to areas where GM crops must be labeled (Europe).

Plus theres the fun shit with "accidental" growth of GM crops messing with local ones, as mexico is dealing with with the corn.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14372 on: November 09, 2014, 01:56:47 am »

The suing thing I've heard of before. Pretty sure it's bullshit, though.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14373 on: November 09, 2014, 01:57:43 am »

The suing thing I've heard of before. Pretty sure it's bullshit, though.

Nope you can totally patent gene sequences and sue people for having them in their fields. Monsanto has absolutely done this and I'm pretty sure they've won.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14374 on: November 09, 2014, 02:00:41 am »

Yah, they have. Most of the time they take land as a payoff.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14375 on: November 09, 2014, 02:59:47 am »

I don't really get why people whine about GM foods, honestly. But a seeds monopoly? Sod that. Good thing I don't like soybeans, at least.

It's quickly becoming everything and well....read everything after your post. I have little to add. A lot of organics are out of business if anything from a non-organic field or truck blows into their field. You can't stop the wind from blowing pollen or seeds around. The lawsuits do happen, but are often settled out of court as many lawsuits do.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14376 on: November 09, 2014, 03:24:52 am »

Yeah, see, no? The only time that happened was about a guy who sprayed his fields with Round-up, harvested the plants that survived because they were from GMO, Round-up resistant wind-blown seeds, and then re-planted those seeds in his next harvest.

I.E. intentionally infringing on Monsantos copyright.

Judge found him guilty but didn't force him to pay out because he recieved no benefit from doing the planting.

As far as I can tell, it's never actually happened that trace amounts of GMO getting into your field has Monsanto sniffing at you, you'd have to intentionally plant it after getting your hands on some. Hell, from what I can tell, Monsanto says they'll pay to clean up GMO seeds that got where they don't belong. I don't know if they've ever done it, but they say it. :v

Now whether or not patents on genes should be a thing *at all* is another question, but don't go propagating myths.

Sourcing. As in, check out the sources on this, if you're curious :v
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #14377 on: November 09, 2014, 04:04:41 am »

A cursory web search reveals that only "inventions" (as in, not genes) are patentable in NZ, so Monsanto's bullshit (if any, according to Descan) is mostly irrelevant here. As such, I justly laugh at the capitalist spirit of America and how long it's taking for people to figure out that it's a bad idea.

Orange, they also do corn, wheat and cotton.
Case in point.

Still, GM foods really don't seem like a bad idea to me. Really, it's just natural selection sped up. Significantly. You might as well complain about selective breeding.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #14378 on: November 09, 2014, 04:24:20 am »

I would like to point out that while only inventions are applicable in NZ a good layer will be able to make that stand up for GM. Something along the lines of if a selection of gears specifically placed together counts as an invention then a sequence of specifically placed genes should as well as it it similar in concept. There is one reason though why I don't want gene sequences patentable and that is mostly because I see them being potentially a way to expand human influence into the stars and I would like this to happen in a non-Weyland-Yutani sort of way.

As for GM foods (good/bad) I fall under the side of the "as long as they test it properly" banner.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

blazing glory

« Reply #14379 on: November 09, 2014, 07:00:33 am »

So, steering away from some discussion about a IRL company with banned irradiated food or something ('cause I'm too lazy to pay the slightest bit of attention.) how well to rollers work?

EDIT Huh, disassembling a military cargo truck and stuffing most of it onto my Quadbike was easier then I thought, sure I had to add trunks to every space I could but I thought that weight would be a problem, nope, double the weight and it can still go the same speed as before, good ole V12 engine.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 07:20:22 am by blazing glory »

n9103

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam
« Reply #14380 on: November 09, 2014, 09:44:24 am »

double the weight and it can still go the same speed as before.
Quote from: V12 Engine
*yawn*

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14381 on: November 09, 2014, 10:09:38 am »

Yeah, genes are also not supposed to be patentable in the US. What those companies actually patent are the primers: small complementary sequence of DNA that you need to amplify the gene and do anything with it. Of course, it's utter bullshit: a primer is only of interest because of the discovered gene.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14382 on: November 09, 2014, 02:30:49 pm »

So I just found my first missile silo. Fired it at a fungal spire that was close to a town. The area is all crater now, but when I went down there to check out the town the fungal spire and its walls were still there, uninjured.

Goddamn those are some sturdy mushrooms.

Will destroying just the square still stop the population from respawning or now do I have to walk through a nuclear crater full of radiation to kill the spire.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 02:32:36 pm by Kaitol »

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14383 on: November 09, 2014, 03:50:35 pm »

So I just decided to play with dogs with a debugged dog food and dog whistle.

What does tying a dog do?

Is it like a leash or something?

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14384 on: November 09, 2014, 08:39:25 pm »

Seeds are Weird because our agriculture code requires that your item be a "foo seeds".  So more plants are welcome, but the method is hacky.

Nuking a place pretty much does screw you over.  Spires are best just shot to death.

And yeah, tying a critter should keep it there.
Pages: 1 ... 957 958 [959] 960 961 ... 1086