Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 956 957 [958] 959 960 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1862637 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!
« Reply #14355 on: November 06, 2014, 01:13:49 pm »

In-game .22 LR can't pierce even my reinforced trenchcoat with long underwear.  I remember some NPC just plinking away at me while my poor man's armour somehow being bulletproof.
NANOMACHINES SON

It would be a nice excuse if not for the fact that there are actual nanomachines that repair your body in CDDA.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

KA101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14356 on: November 08, 2014, 02:24:35 am »

In-game .22 LR can't pierce even my reinforced trenchcoat with long underwear.  I remember some NPC just plinking away at me while my poor man's armour somehow being bulletproof.
NANOMACHINES SON

It would be a nice excuse if not for the fact that there are actual nanomachines that repair your body in CDDA.

Yeah, the reality bubble does make proper differentiation a bit tough to achieve.  May be able to fix that once the aiming PR finally lands.

And since we're in prerelease freeze, that shouldn't be too much longer.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14357 on: November 08, 2014, 02:36:05 pm »

Is it just me, or is it kind of hard to get your hands on seeds? It feels to me like it should be possible to disassemble most fruit, at least, for seeds, or even just bury fresh enough fruit/veggies and let them grow into new plants.
Nothing important here, move along.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14358 on: November 08, 2014, 03:16:07 pm »

Is it just me, or is it kind of hard to get your hands on seeds? It feels to me like it should be possible to disassemble most fruit, at least, for seeds, or even just bury fresh enough fruit/veggies and let them grow into new plants.
We need this. And also being able to plant seeds that we can also eat. Like buckwheat.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14359 on: November 08, 2014, 04:38:05 pm »

It is indeed rather hard. Though in RL terms shouldn't really be. Though not getting them from fruit could be waved away by the vast majority of found fruits being irradiated, since irradiated seeds don't germinate.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14360 on: November 08, 2014, 05:01:17 pm »

The fruit you can find in supermarkets is almost never irradiated, though, unless this is a future where Monsanto hasn't gotten the shit kicked out of them and the seeds are either inherently sterile or exposed to radiation intentionally to 'clean' the fruit.

Kaitol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heya, Red.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14361 on: November 08, 2014, 06:39:43 pm »

Gardening stores have tons of the drat things.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14362 on: November 08, 2014, 06:52:13 pm »

I have almost never spawned near a town with a gardening store, though. They seem disturbingly uncommon, at least for me.

The fact that you'll eventually run out of seeds kind of makes it hard to be self-sustainable, as well, unless the seeds number in the thousands somehow.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14363 on: November 08, 2014, 07:37:32 pm »

...What? You run out of seeds? How the hell does planting work then? Do you not get seeds back?

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14364 on: November 08, 2014, 07:41:04 pm »

I may have been doing it wrong, but so far I haven't gotten any seeds from my plants.

I may also be playing a broken/old version.

blazing glory

« Reply #14365 on: November 08, 2014, 07:42:33 pm »

Almost lost one of my better characters to a minefield, still don't understand why some moron would put those there, I was riding my Quadbike when I suddenly spotted the mounds of dirt, I braked, skidded into a mine, reversed into another, then managed to get out.

My Quadbikes mounted with Military grade armor tend to be able to survive a lot, the rider would die before it.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14366 on: November 08, 2014, 07:48:34 pm »

Monsonto rules the world.  They are the ones who make all the fruit, and they deign to give consumers limited access to seeds for 'educational purposes'(to get tax breaks on being an education company) actually eating the fruit the seeds produce is illegal.   

Everyone in the world knows that you can't get seeds from any cultivated fruit or vegetable, the rumor that you could in the past has been scientifically dis-proven by independently funded scientists (those independent funders are themselves funded by Monsanto).  The older folks who think otherwise have been found to all have a disease discovered by Monsanto scientists that causes delusional memories. the cause has been narrowed down to not eating enough Monsanto products.  Old documents referencing viable seeds being obtained by plants has been dismissed as dark ages hogwash and poor scientific method from a stupider era were people were not eating enough vegetables to maintain good brain activity.

So of COURSE you can't get seeds from grocery store foods.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14367 on: November 08, 2014, 10:24:53 pm »

Well that's depressing. All well I'll add it to the vault.
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14368 on: November 09, 2014, 01:08:47 am »

The really sad thing is that what Greiger said is rapidly coming true.
I mean, really. They control something like 70% of the worlds seed for soybeans(I think) and are trying to make EVERYTHING (Even Okra) GM.
Or atleast, they where a few years ago.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #14369 on: November 09, 2014, 01:14:21 am »

I don't really get why people whine about GM foods, honestly. But a seeds monopoly? Sod that. Good thing I don't like soybeans, at least.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 956 957 [958] 959 960 ... 1086