Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 745 746 [747] 748 749 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861601 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.A "Kaufman" released!
« Reply #11190 on: March 25, 2014, 12:53:53 am »

An alternator shouldn't convert gasoline to electricity. It should convert the act of the motor running, into electricity. I was thinking of coding in bicycle dynamos that could be mounted on wheels.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11191 on: March 25, 2014, 12:59:38 am »

The idea is sound.  You have a steam boiler, which converts wood/charcoal into pressurized steam while the boiler is running.  The pressurized steam would count as an engine that's always turned on, reducing the pressure levels as time goes on, while also reducing pressure to run an engine.

Hmm, I think it'd need to be a fuel container and a device to actually work right.  It contains the steam, and acts a device because it reduces steam while 'active' and would always be active.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11192 on: March 25, 2014, 02:45:48 am »

I can see it now.

Tom Johnson, just a regular guy before everything went to hell. Stuck walking along the road, but, for some reason, everything seems too quiet. All of a sudden out of nowhere a 2 and a half foot tall guy with a huge beard, chugging alcohol screams by at well over 800 MPH on a fucking shopping cart, leaving Tom there, wondering what the hell he just saw and questioning his own sanity.
Well its the closest i could find since no artist stepped forward.

Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

WhitiusOpus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro-radiation Lobbyist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11193 on: March 25, 2014, 11:36:00 am »

I can see it now.

Tom Johnson, just a regular guy before everything went to hell. Stuck walking along the road, but, for some reason, everything seems too quiet. All of a sudden out of nowhere a 2 and a half foot tall guy with a huge beard, chugging alcohol screams by at well over 800 MPH on a fucking shopping cart, leaving Tom there, wondering what the hell he just saw and questioning his own sanity.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My god. It's... Wonderful...
Quote from: The Froggy Ninja
Young Masches: Fetch yonder blade!
Masches grabs his "sword." Navi gasps. Her aura flushes a pinkish hue and she flies out the window.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11194 on: March 25, 2014, 11:43:17 am »

I can see it now.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

My god. It's... Wonderful...
Dwarves are some crazy bastards.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11195 on: March 25, 2014, 11:57:10 am »

Dam it now i want to add jet engines.
Made from duck tape and scrap of course like this one.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11196 on: March 25, 2014, 11:59:35 am »

That thing shows up in this thread so often I'm surprised noone modded it in yet.

Code: [Select]
{
        "type" : "vehicle_part",
        "id" : "pulse_jet",
        "name" : "liquid pulse jet engine",
        "symbol" : "*",
        "color" : "light_red",
        "broken_symbol" : "#",
        "broken_color" : "red",
        "damage_modifier" : 80,
        "power" : 1200,
        "durability" : 300,
        "epower" : -100,
        "fuel_type" : "gasoline",
        "item" : "pulse_jet_engine",
        "difficulty" : 6,
        "location" : "engine_block",
        "flags" : ["ENGINE"],
        "breaks_into" : [
            {"item": "steel_lump", "min": 45, "max": 58},
            {"item": "steel_chunk", "min": 45, "max": 58},
            {"item": "scrap", "min": 45, "max": 58}
},{
        "type":"GENERIC",
        "id" : "pulse_jet_engine",
        "name" : "homemade pulse jet engine",
        "description" : "An extremely powerful, gas guzzling, liquid pulse jet engine made from scrap.  Likely to kill you and everyone around you, but at least you'll look cool doing it.",
        "weight" : 39689,
        "to_hit" : -2,
        "color" : "light_cyan",
        "symbol" : ":",
        "material" : ["steel", "null"],
        "volume" : 20,
        "bashing" : 7,
        "cutting" : 0,
        "category" : "veh_parts",
        "price" : 90000
}
(warning this is added for a joke, I don't actually know how engine power is calculated from the jsons and couldn't be assed to test this, so in the off chance this doesn't just throw an error on load it's probably not balanced in the least.)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11197 on: March 25, 2014, 12:02:34 pm »

That was fast, i'll test it in a bit.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11198 on: March 25, 2014, 12:16:37 pm »

That was fast, i'll test it in a bit.
I actually decided to throw a json together about 2 posts ago, we just happened to be thinking the same thing. :P

In reality though it would probably be better implemented as a separate piece of equipment that isn't really an engine.  That just increases velocity by like 100 mph per turn in trade for 1000 gas or something.  Because I don't really know if you could throttle an engine like that like the game's cruise control will do.  But I was amused enough to json it anyway.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11199 on: March 25, 2014, 05:18:13 pm »

So I downloaded the current experimental; is anyone else feeling that steps take much much longer than they do in the stable? Scrolling through menus and stuff seems fine, just actual movement takes much longer to execute.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11200 on: March 25, 2014, 05:21:10 pm »

So I downloaded the current experimental; is anyone else feeling that steps take much much longer than they do in the stable? Scrolling through menus and stuff seems fine, just actual movement takes much longer to execute.
Try starting a second world and seeing.  It might be your specific location.  Certain things like slime pits and fungals can wreak havok on population, and therefore processing time.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11201 on: March 25, 2014, 05:27:19 pm »

Try starting a second world and seeing.  It might be your specific location.  Certain things like slime pits and fungals can wreak havok on population, and therefore processing time.
Its chugging along slower than when I had stable with 50 spawn rate, and I've only got it at 4.0 atm. And yeah, already regenned a world.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11202 on: March 25, 2014, 05:29:23 pm »

Its chugging along slower than when I had stable with 50 spawn rate, and I've only got it at 4.0 atm. And yeah, already regenned a world.
That totally doesn't matter, really.  Certain locations spawn creatures with population rates FAR higher than anything else, and with wandering AI that makes them REALLY stressful on the computer when enough of them occupy an area.  I played on default spawn rate, but was nearby a slime pit.  35,000+ slimes will spawn even on very low spawn rate.

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11203 on: March 25, 2014, 05:42:06 pm »

That totally doesn't matter, really.  Certain locations spawn creatures with population rates FAR higher than anything else, and with wandering AI that makes them REALLY stressful on the computer when enough of them occupy an area.  I played on default spawn rate, but was nearby a slime pit.  35,000+ slimes will spawn even on very low spawn rate.
Welllllll....I'm also in the middle of nowhere. Nearest anything is about 15 map tiles away.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11204 on: March 25, 2014, 06:01:37 pm »

I'm getting that as well, really slow even in the middle of nowhere.

Pages: 1 ... 745 746 [747] 748 749 ... 1086