Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 744 745 [746] 747 748 ... 1086

Author Topic: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A roaming horde appears on the horizon!  (Read 1861595 times)

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
Re: Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - Version 0.A "Kaufman" released!
« Reply #11175 on: March 24, 2014, 05:59:12 pm »

Would it be possible to go Full Dwarf and put an engine and seat and stuff in a shopping cart, and start driving around in it?
This design needs to be refined to include a minireactor and multiple electric engines
Booze... dont forget booze...
That will have to wait until you can jury rig a bionic power supply to act as an engine.   
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11176 on: March 24, 2014, 06:01:35 pm »

I can see it now.

Tom Johnson, just a regular guy before everything went to hell. Stuck walking along the road, but, for some reason, everything seems too quiet. All of a sudden out of nowhere a 2 and a half foot tall guy with a huge beard, chugging alcohol screams by at well over 800 MPH on a fucking shopping cart, leaving Tom there, wondering what the hell he just saw and questioning his own sanity.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #11177 on: March 24, 2014, 06:06:36 pm »

Hmm. That does spark a thought, though. What about the ability to convert engines to non-standard fuels? Biofuels, wood, and the like?
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11178 on: March 24, 2014, 06:47:48 pm »

Hmm. That does spark a thought, though. What about the ability to convert engines to non-standard fuels? Biofuels, wood, and the like?
It should be possible.  The real key is that every engine is linked to a different type of fuel, as is every container.  You could make an engine that runs on charcoal.  I'd personally love to see steam engines.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11179 on: March 24, 2014, 07:41:22 pm »

I rigged an electric motor (the tiny toy ones, not a car engine) and a seat to a cart once. It was... less than ideal. Too slow for long distance travel, too fast for looting, and the way the game handles dragged vehicles can be problematic for multi-square vehicles. I'd rather just strap a trunk to some wheels and head out.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11180 on: March 24, 2014, 07:47:08 pm »

It should be possible.  The real key is that every engine is linked to a different type of fuel, as is every container.  You could make an engine that runs on charcoal.  I'd personally love to see steam engines.
But then they would need to add a whole line of steampunk items.  As of right now there are those two pneumatic guns, but that is it, unless something has been added since the .a release.   
Not that I'm objecting to steampunk items.   It would add a lot more use to lategame fabrication.   You could have steampunk power armor, steampunk vehicle attachments (Engines, some kind of automatic catapult that uses rocks as ammo, other things), and possibly some kind of giant airship for when z levels are added.   
...now I want to go ahead and move up my plan of learning C++ so that I can actually go ahead and code that in.   Exactly how much do you need to know to add new items?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11181 on: March 24, 2014, 07:51:09 pm »

If it's based off existing items, you can just make a new json entry.  If it's supposed to do something that other items don't do, then it's quite a bit of coding.

I'm REALLY looking forward to Z-levels and airships.  I plan to produce a floating tank, built on balloons and scaffolding, with the lower section armored thoroughly.  I might even make it such that it never touches down fully, but rather just drops a ladder...

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11182 on: March 24, 2014, 08:01:00 pm »

If it's based off existing items, you can just make a new json entry.  If it's supposed to do something that other items don't do, then it's quite a bit of coding.

I'm REALLY looking forward to Z-levels and airships.  I plan to produce a floating tank, built on balloons and scaffolding, with the lower section armored thoroughly.  I might even make it such that it never touches down fully, but rather just drops a ladder...

Light it adequately and make a farm and Cataclysm becomes as boring as a veteran efficiency freak playing Minecraft.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11183 on: March 24, 2014, 08:03:01 pm »

Hmm, I can't seem to get away from goo pits here. Any way to kill them? I tried burning in the previous version, but it didn't work too well.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11184 on: March 24, 2014, 08:09:08 pm »

Hmm, I can't seem to get away from goo pits here. Any way to kill them? I tried burning in the previous version, but it didn't work too well.
You can't remove them, and they seem infinite spawn.  Run before your game starts crashing!

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11185 on: March 24, 2014, 08:28:27 pm »

Hmm, you might be able to build a wall on a goo pit maybe, I haven't tried, should be easy to check though.

You can just walk over them and take a small bit of damage and get a minor debuff to dex and speed for a few turns and then it should disappear.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11186 on: March 24, 2014, 09:23:05 pm »

It's not that simple.  A slime pit is a map element, so it's going to exist even if the physical slime tiles are gone.  The population will rise as long as you're nearby and the map element exists.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11187 on: March 24, 2014, 09:56:58 pm »

Hmm, you might be able to build a wall on a goo pit maybe, I haven't tried, should be easy to check though.

You can just walk over them and take a small bit of damage and get a minor debuff to dex and speed for a few turns and then it should disappear.

Slime pits are hardcore. As long as you're near them they will spawn infinite slimes to mob you. And it will take DAYS just to kill them all, trust me just run.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11188 on: March 24, 2014, 11:44:33 pm »

I can see it now.

Tom Johnson, just a regular guy before everything went to hell. Stuck walking along the road, but, for some reason, everything seems too quiet. All of a sudden out of nowhere a 2 and a half foot tall guy with a huge beard, chugging alcohol screams by at well over 800 MPH on a fucking shopping cart, leaving Tom there, wondering what the hell he just saw and questioning his own sanity.
Call to artist we need a drawing of that.....
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #11189 on: March 25, 2014, 12:29:44 am »

An alternator converts gasoline to electricity or something like that. It takes the gasoline from a tank, then adds the electricity to a battery. It would probably only be a small code leap (if you needed code at all; I haven't kept up to date with cata modding) from that to a boiler that converts some fuel source into steam and stores it in some sort of steam tank for powering steampunk items. Have that slowly decrease (steam cooling) using the code mechanisms for electricity powered vehicle attachments, and you've got the basics you need right there.
Pages: 1 ... 744 745 [746] 747 748 ... 1086