Poll

Should we mod the new world?

No
- 121 (60.5%)
Yes
- 79 (39.5%)

Total Members Voted: 200

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 74

Author Topic: DF2014: The Succession World! At Long Last!  (Read 109613 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2013: The Succession World?
« Reply #690 on: November 24, 2013, 11:15:37 am »

Welp, demigodly militia, anyone?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: December 01, 2013, 04:55:26 pm »

Well, my instinct tells me that unless Toady gets struck by a strange mood, it's a good idea to rename the title to DF2014.

Also, we need to build a fortress dedicated to being a sort of "hero resort" where adventurers can retire and be pulled off for fortress-saving purposes as needed.
So many ideas, yet we're still waiting.

DarkDXZ is sad

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: December 01, 2013, 05:47:32 pm »

Well, my instinct tells me that unless Toady gets struck by a strange mood, it's a good idea to rename the title to DF2014.
I'll wait at least until Christmas before doing that.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: December 02, 2013, 06:08:29 am »

If he releases it on Christmas, I might as well give him a cookie.
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

Rhyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: December 02, 2013, 07:15:26 am »

+1, but cakes are better
Most people's relationship with Dwarf Fortress is akin to Stockholm Syndrome.
Dwarf Fortress doesn't mean to do it... I just can't behave sometimes so it has to correct me.
Wait, there's a player list?

apiks

• Bay Watcher
  • Grandfather of Necrothreat
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: December 02, 2013, 07:48:10 am »

+1, but cakes are better

Right. I full-heatedly agree. Might as well make Santa's little elf do it.

*turns around and shouts*

"Mastahcheese! Where's ye pastry maker?
Founding Father of Necrothreat I, Necrothreat II, Necrothreat III, Necrothreat IV and Necrothreat V
Founder of Teh LOLmod

MDFification

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammerer at Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: December 02, 2013, 06:24:46 pm »

Man if this turns out to be possible I'm so in.
... once the people ahead of me on the list are dead of course.

Can I recommend modding the game for better FPS? It shouldn't take long to do, but will help avert the anti-climatic death of many otherwise legendary forts.
Also when the nemesis bug inevitably shows up Armok help us all.

EDIT:
What happens when we inevitably unleash hell, get overrun due to inadequate prep, and let the demons just migrate into the fort next door?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 06:27:59 pm by MDFification »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: December 02, 2013, 11:29:01 pm »

Man if this turns out to be possible I'm so in.
... once the people ahead of me on the list are dead of course.

Can I recommend modding the game for better FPS? It shouldn't take long to do, but will help avert the anti-climatic death of many otherwise legendary forts.
Also when the nemesis bug inevitably shows up Armok help us all.
Well, since we'll be running a real-world timer for turns, anything that results in FPS death will likely just be retired, and the stuff from the retired fort will just immigrate to new people's forts.
So it should pose less of an issue that it normally would. Such is the advantage of the game lasting multiple, separate forts/adventures rather than just one.

What happens when we inevitably unleash hell, get overrun due to inadequate prep, and let the demons just migrate into the fort next door?
Well, then we just try to handle it the best we can for as long as we can.
The Derail Thread

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: December 02, 2013, 11:33:50 pm »

How many people have signed up? If enough people have, and the turns are too long, the next version will be out before it gets to me.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: December 02, 2013, 11:48:21 pm »

How many people have signed up? If enough people have, and the turns are too long, the next version will be out before it gets to me.
Something on the ridiculous range.
The way we'll do it is that when someone ends their turn, they'll announce it, and then for 24 (or however many) hours, people can say if they can take the next go, and of all the people that say they can, the person that is currently highest on the list will get precedent, and then be shunted back down to the bottom of the list when their turn ends.
So it won't exactly go in order, so that we don't end up with periods of waiting on just one person who doesn't respond.
The Derail Thread

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: December 03, 2013, 05:51:43 am »

That actually seems like a very efficient way to go about it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: December 03, 2013, 10:10:53 am »

I like that idea a lot too.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: December 03, 2013, 10:15:14 am »

That actually seems like a very efficient way to go about it.
I like that idea a lot too.

+1

I'm totally not gonna bribe people to skip their turns so that I can play myself earlier on our world...
I'm really not going to do that - there'd be nothing for me to do, seeing as I don't play Fortress mode.

Maybe there still would be something (new sites and such), but not as much as if I did let people build their megaprojects first.

bsnott

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_PATIOS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: December 08, 2013, 02:22:12 pm »

I am so in for when
Spoiler: DF2013 (click to show/hide)
comes along.
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"

*gobbles menacingly*

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: December 13, 2013, 11:49:18 am »

In part for preparation of restoring governments after completing insurrections and otherwise turning over sites to other people, but also just for the mess of village-to-village fighting, you can now claim a site when you are there. Which site claims from which entities take precedence in a given site should be pretty complicated later on, but it's not time for more complications, so the recognized claim (for purposes of diplomacy and site disputes and displacement after invasions and all that) is just based at this point on who is physically holding the main building (whether that's a keep or a mead hall). A neighboring site entity maintains old grudges and other diplomatic info with a site entity even when it has lost its site, but the neighbor won't act on that for the time being, and the newly recognized site entity will be the one it now treats with. Regular citizens have their various factional loyalties (which we'll work with as we head into more insurrection notes), but they basically don't care who is in charge as long as the new leaders aren't real trouble (like goblin occupiers). That said, it's quite possible for this release that there'll be enough variety that you'll have more trouble taking over a site where citizens appreciate the current leadership more than average, since they'll be willing to jump in.

In order to make a claim, you have to tell somebody else about it, since an entity can't just exist in your own mind (although there might be reasons for something like that later, to establish rules for retired hermits in a ruin or something). Once you state a claim, you become the leader of a new site entity based on your current culture, but it is meaningless (other than as a new rumor) if you don't take the main building from the previous owners (at which point you get a handy announcement). What you do with control of the site is going to be up to you, in a few limited ways anyway. Once you've got a successful site claim, if you don't just want to retire, you'll be able to pass it off to a subordinate or give it to your former leader to handle as they please. Or you can run around the world with some of your own guards (in which case you'll probably lose the top site claim shortly after somebody looks your town's way).

In this simplistic system, the overall power of people is basically determined by the total population after considering the number of abstract tribute relationships they maintain. Note that taking over a site doesn't necessarily involve killing everybody in the main structure -- the upcoming plan is that if they yield, they can become regular citizens of the new entity, or if they run (or are sent away), they'll become bandits (taking their old entity and its site claim with them). You should also be able to leave a defeated leader in charge without ever making a site claim of your own in the first place, forcing them to send (abstract) tribute to whomever you want (including one of your own site entities elsewhere) for as long as it takes them to reassert themselves and break the agreement. So yeah, it still needs work, but it should be reasonably fun to mess around with even in its current form.

I think this might be interesting for our Succession World business. *wink wink nudge nudge*
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 74