Poll

Should we mod the new world?

No
- 121 (60.5%)
Yes
- 79 (39.5%)

Total Members Voted: 200

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 74

Author Topic: DF2014: The Succession World! At Long Last!  (Read 109444 times)

Giver99

• Bay Watcher
  • self destruct..5..4..3..2..1..Oops
    • View Profile
Re: DF2013: The Succession World?
« Reply #195 on: February 16, 2013, 09:14:17 pm »

Im in  8)
Oop's Wrong Lever!

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 17, 2013, 06:50:23 am »

Im in  8)
Yes, you are.
The reason I'd prefer a 'small' world is that all the interesting stuff like cities etc. would be closer to each other, so we won't have to walk huge distances in adventure mode. A bigger world would have some advantages too, like more stuff to explore and more interesting locations for our projects. It would be weird if our fortresses would keep piling up next to each other because the 'no aquifier-deep metal-shallow metal-flux stone' combination is limited to one single biome.
As for the reward for winning a player war, it really can be anything. The wars can be about who has the fanciest furniture, the biggest beard fortress, the greatest treasure, etc.. We can set our goals ourselves and try to advance the worlds story that way.
What about conquering the enemie's fortresses in adventure mode?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 09:22:09 am by Yuli Vlasi »
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 17, 2013, 07:15:12 am »

Here are my thoughts on rules for the player interactions:

1) Respect the stuff other players made. You may steal their artifacts and kill their dwarves and adventurers, but do not do anything that completely ruins what they created on purpose. If you take over a fortress, you are not allowed to flood it or do anything that makes it impossible for other players to conquer it back. You can hide artifacts in your own fortresses, but do not wall them in or destroy them in magma. It is part of the world and it is not to be deleted from it without its creators permission on purpose.
Do not hide stuff at the bottom of the ocean.

2) Act in your factions interest, your are a team after all. If you plan to betray them and join the enemy you should reflect that in your storytelling.

3) As for the storytelling, write down everything. If you want to keep something secret, like the place your adventurer is currently hiding, you should atleast give some hints for the other players. I don't think anyone wants to waste his whole turn looking for the hole you hid yourself in so they can take revenge for you eating their cheese.

4) Try to stay 'realistic'. If the enemy has built a fortress at the passage to another continent so your civilisation 'can't pass without their permission' you shouldn't just build your own fortress on that continent. If somebody built a huge bridge over the ocean and wants you to pay taxes for using it, do not just swim past it in adventure mode, even if you can. You either pay the appropriate price, try to sneak by or pick up a fight.

5) Remember there is non-lethal combat. Think twice when you are about to kill the other player's favorite adventurer.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 11:33:42 am by Yuli Vlasi »
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 17, 2013, 05:12:35 pm »

I can agree with all of your rules.
Apparently coding DF is equivalent to slaying hydras.

mocman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 17, 2013, 05:31:26 pm »

How about a map size of 65:129
It's twice the size of a small and half the size of medium
Have a wonderful day

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 17, 2013, 09:38:08 pm »

Problem with small world is that we only have about 5 megabeasts, though, which rules out, say, roc breeding programs.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 18, 2013, 11:36:57 am »

How about a map size of 65:129
It's twice the size of a small and half the size of medium
Sounds good to me.
Problem with small world is that we only have about 5 megabeasts, though, which rules out, say, roc breeding programs.
Can't we increase the number of megabeast without increasing the worlds size?

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 18, 2013, 11:41:57 am »

Can't we increase the number of megabeast without increasing the worlds size?

Yes, you can.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 18, 2013, 12:29:07 pm »

This all sounds great to me.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 18, 2013, 12:41:36 pm »

I'd suggest 65:129 Wide rather than Tall, but I'm not sure what works out to have the most even distribution of temperature bands, or if it even matters.

The world should be cooked with a LONG potential history... but worldgen stopped at a low percentage of beast deaths, so that there are still more than enough for adventurers and fortress defense.  We should also gen with a LOT of beasts, with caves to support them

We should gen more good, evil, and volcanoes than standard, because all those traits make for "premium" sites that will be in high demand early.

If we can get more than one big land mass, that would be a plus.  Similarly, more than one ocean (hopefully three saltwater biomes with separate alignments) would be a good thing.  Again, this is so there are sites for whatever anybody wants to do somewhere.  Face zombie giant sperm whales?  'Recruit' mermaids into your spa-and-resort-for-adventurers?  It ought to be doable.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 18, 2013, 02:08:20 pm »

You can also suppress or change the ratio of dead beasts after which generation is stopped.

I personally like worlds with
- a fair amount of water (between 0% and +50% than normal)
- a high number of oceans  (x2 or x3)
- 0 partial edge or complete edge oceans.
- You have then to reduce the other minimal square count or you will never have any world.

Is these worlds, you can have very long isthmus (because the number of ocean regions must be very high, but NOT on the edges), and then narrow strips of land which connect two continents.
It's very interesting because you can build fortresses on two continents, and reduce A LOT travels. These cities could be strategic points.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 02:12:40 pm by Inarius »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 18, 2013, 03:38:18 pm »

I would like at least 1 complete edge ocean. I really think a medium world would be best, possibly medium north to south but small west to east. 500-1000 sounds like a decent history.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 18, 2013, 05:36:50 pm »

Succession world will be viable with the next release?

OHOHOHHOHOHOHHOHO.

Recruiting all yo dudes and going mental on someone's fortress would be amusing (with their consent, of course.) :)

Giver99

• Bay Watcher
  • self destruct..5..4..3..2..1..Oops
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 22, 2013, 01:11:46 pm »

i will agree to those rules when do we start??how do i set my profile Pic??
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 01:23:37 pm by Giver99 »
Oop's Wrong Lever!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #209 on: February 22, 2013, 06:50:56 pm »

i will agree to those rules when do we start??how do i set my profile Pic??
Well, we can't start until Toady actually releases the new version. And... that's a bit off-topic, but try the "modify profile" button.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 74