Poll

Should we mod the new world?

No
- 121 (60.5%)
Yes
- 79 (39.5%)

Total Members Voted: 200

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 74

Author Topic: DF2014: The Succession World! At Long Last!  (Read 109427 times)

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
Re: DF2013: The Succession World?
« Reply #180 on: February 09, 2013, 01:35:09 pm »

I'll add Sindain to the list.
Dividing the players into different worlds to decrease waiting time sounds like a smart idea to me but I don't like it. If anyone wants to start an own succession world nothing is going to stop them. I'd like to stick with this one.
Personally, I think our main game should be testing the unmodded release, providing great and highly visible feedback and info for everyone.
1) Yes.
2) As long as this doesn't become a priority and we start focusing on other things than fun.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 04:02:27 pm by Yuli Vlasi »
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 09, 2013, 01:36:35 pm »

I would say get LFR.

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 09, 2013, 01:50:38 pm »

By the way, the poll switched in favor of modding.
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 09, 2013, 01:54:53 pm »

I think we should rephrase the poll to ask just one question though. As of now, choice 1 is no modding and no player war, while choice 2 is yes modding and yes player war. Player war is probably possible without modding (with competing factions within a civ or between 2 different dwarf civs), with light modding (setting goblins as embarkable) or with hacking.

I think we should reset it and reword the answers to only include modding, and then do another poll to see who wants a player war.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 10, 2013, 01:03:12 am »

I think we should reset it and reword the answers to only include modding, and then do another poll to see who wants a player war.
Just fixed it and reset it.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 10, 2013, 02:39:44 am »

Modding? What heresy is this?

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 10, 2013, 12:40:01 pm »

I thought I said it a few days ago, but apparently not. :\ Not sure how that happened.

(this is along the lines of Eric Blank's suggestion)
What I thought I said was that as we have (or had, now) an equal number of votes, that we could split the fort up into two worlds. One world would be with modding, the other without - and players could switch between at will. This would be a nightmare to manage, though... There would be so many variables, and keeping track of two sets of lore at the same time would be confusing beyond belief. If we have two threads, it makes us twice as likely to get a real, lasting world... But again, everything is split between two halves. It'd be coolest if we had one world with hundreds of fortresses, but when you think about it... how long would that take, if 90% of the week people are given, they're not here?

That brings me to another potential issue (I don't know if it's been addressed). As we've seen with Spearbreakers (and countless other forts), if people don't get to the save quickly, they lose interest. A huge list might not be to our best interests... but I don't know. Just my thoughts.

A particularly cruel, but quick-moving possibility is that people get to play their forts until the first dwarf dies, and then they get a month of gametime to close it up. There is no conceivable way someone can keep this from happening, no matter what, and it would take a lot less than a week, especially if turns ran on a first-come-first-serve basis. I'm not actually for this idea... I'm just throwing it out there, trying to come up with creative solutions to solve the problem that the last succession world had. lol

As to modding, if it's all or nothing, I'm against... I still like the idea of two regular dwarven civs duking it out.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 03:11:08 pm by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 10, 2013, 03:02:54 pm »

It's not really the same succession game if there's two worlds, so if people want something different than the main one and not wait as long they can just start a parallel succession thread.

A week doesn't have to be a minimum, but rather a maximum. We can just encourage people to finish as fast as possible, with one week being the utmost. As with the last world, we might also lose people as they realize they don't have time to play.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 10, 2013, 03:26:34 pm »

Yeah... "You have one week from the moment the save is posted to FINISH your turn" would keep the world moving at a steady clip, especially if you have to claim or be skipped within a shorter timer (say, 72 hours).  I'm in the high 30's on the succession list, which means I would Absolutely get the save within the year (I'm under #52), possibly within half a year (some skips/short turns will occur).

I'd be against the "Pass it off if anybody dies" option, if only because the greatest projects tend to consume dwarven lives as a resource, which ranges between melting an unlucky miner or two to set up magma industries, to devouring workers like candy for particularly insane megaprojects.  Pass off if anydwarf dies would encourage a very conservative strategy and not lead to much fun.  And when fun starts, you could go through a dozen overseers in short order as the fort tears itself apart over the course of a year, some Urist McIdiot dying every month.  would probably be harder to pull out of than with an overseer with a year gametime or week realtime to try to fix the fort.

As for modding, if we're all or nothing I'm against it.  Would I mind modding to fix vampires, or quietly sweep aquifers under the rug?  no, but at the same time I'd like to play a game that's essentially Vanilla DF at heart
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 10, 2013, 03:34:20 pm »

Besides, there might be minor changes to such things, whether directly or indirectly by the effects of other such things, that we'd miss out on if we modded in assumption of conditions like the current version. For example, no one in this release was expecting siren waterfalls or giant mosquito apocalypses. Or giant keas.

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 16, 2013, 08:29:36 am »

So, what we've got is this:

The world:
Small-sized, with a volcano in the middle,

The succession list:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Rules:
Planned Projects:

I feel like the rules-part misses alot of information. Please add something.
Multiple players should work together on one fortress to speed up the building process, like someone already suggested. These 'teams' could fight each other in player wars.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 06:51:09 am by Yuli Vlasi »

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 16, 2013, 11:50:59 am »

I suggest to set the embark points to 10000 in world gen, to kick start the building of fortresses. That way building a decent sized fortress
in time will be much easier.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 16, 2013, 03:07:47 pm »

I think most of us would be able to handle a medium-sized world, right?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kalemyr Skyfire

• Bay Watcher
  • The Ace of Trades
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 16, 2013, 03:17:01 pm »

Forgive me for not contributing. I have been watching this thread, and well lurking is easier for me.

Well I hope there's enough room for everyone's fortress, I mean we are on a small world after all. The 1 week time limit is a good idea.

About the player-wars do we get anything if we win? (Besides anger and bragging rights of course ;D)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 08:07:44 pm by Kalemyr Skyfire »
Quote from: Confucius
Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.

Quote from: Isaac Asimov
People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 16, 2013, 05:48:54 pm »

The only rewards are what plundering gains you :D

For instance, if you wipe out an enemy fortress and take a handsome adamantine item for your own faction.

Medium world sounds perfectly fine to me. Should keep things expansive but decent file size.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 74