Poll

Should we mod the new world?

No
- 121 (60.5%)
Yes
- 79 (39.5%)

Total Members Voted: 200

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 74

Author Topic: DF2014: The Succession World! At Long Last!  (Read 109447 times)

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2013: The Succession World?
« Reply #135 on: January 28, 2013, 06:10:54 pm »

I had once a couple of minotaurs which served to dispose of uninvited guests. Should be fun if they could reproduce...

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 28, 2013, 06:13:57 pm »

I had once a couple of minotaurs which served to dispose of uninvited guests. Should be fun if they could reproduce...
Interesting... I would have bet on the uninvited guests.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 28, 2013, 06:18:42 pm »

I would love to run in as an adventurer and fight hordes of minotaurs. It would be !!fun!!. That is all.
Apparently coding DF is equivalent to slaying hydras.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 28, 2013, 06:45:23 pm »

I've seen other mega- and semi-megabeasts reproduce successfully during worldgen. If you make sure minotaurs have the proper tags, and keep a male and female uncaged in their own little labyrinth in your fort (with no access besides the hole in the ceiling you tossed them in through) they may well reproduce. It'd be worth a shot, at least.

And in the next version, having an army of minotaurs in your basement means having an army of minotaurs wandering the countryside... It'll be lots of Fun!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 28, 2013, 07:39:53 pm »

What with them being natural warriors and all. Don't underestimate the cowheads. They're deadly with a sock, and even deadlier with a trap component from an abandoned fort.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 29, 2013, 04:35:37 am »

The only issue with the minotaurs I kept was that they used the first item they found in the oubliette i sent dungeon.
And, as I threw dwarves in it, after killing a few of them with their horns, they grabbed...socks. Or Pants. or Coats. But nothing really dangerous. And they kept beating (already injuried) dwarves during sometimes 3 or 6 months with a sock.
A minotaur can be dangerous, but not always :)
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 05:10:57 am by Inarius »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 29, 2013, 01:14:17 pm »

Drop them some trap components before you give them any prisoners. Also, to make double sure, strip prisoners.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 29, 2013, 04:35:37 pm »

Not at all ! It's a way to make super-heros !

Once they have been beaten during several months, they are super tough, super strong and super agile. To recover them, you just have to launch other guys in the hole, and the minotaur changes his target. Then, you open the door and "unborrow" the injuried guy (and unclaim all other items). The guy will be frozen in this state for years, until you kill the minotaur.
You can keep 1, 2, 3, or 10 dwarves if you want, they don't need to eat, drink or sleep they don't feel unhappy. They just sleep where the dwarves put them. Once the minotaur is killed, you have to act very quickly and you can save several dwarves and make them super soldiers.

Well, anyway, it's a little off-topic, but building a labyrinth with minotaurs and treasurers under a fortress is a cool idea.

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 02, 2013, 05:53:33 am »

Well, anyway, it's a little off-topic, but building a labyrinth with minotaurs and treasurers under a fortress is a cool idea.
I don't think this is off-topic. It would be awesome if someone actually build this. Does somebody have any other ideas? I still think we should build an 'adventurers tavern' as some sort of base for our adventurers . Somebody could start a regular fortress, gather the building materials needed for the taverns construction, build it and then seal of the fort, killing every dwarf inside so they won't wander around the site later. Multiple 'Dungeons' like the minotaur one would also be a good idea.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2013, 07:58:01 am by Yuli Vlasi »
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 02, 2013, 03:39:56 pm »

That should be great. I was also thinking of that, this morning. Building a huge maze with many traps, hidden levers and big monster (and treasures) on several levels. . Of course it would take years to build as a forteress, but it could serve as a basis for many adventurer stories !

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 02, 2013, 04:32:23 pm »

I was thinking of building a series of docks, not that they would be useful, or anything.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 02, 2013, 04:42:56 pm »

Pull an Oceanbridge and bridge a fjord / bay. In fact, we should do that several times. A mega bridge that requires 2 seperate embarks.

Wall off the entrance to a mountain valley, build an enormous dam. See if the whole thing fills up with an embark at the back of the valley. Go between them as an adventurer to eliminate the map edge problem.

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 02, 2013, 04:46:35 pm »

Yeah, I'll try my best to make these bridge things then.

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 03, 2013, 03:36:37 am »

Of course it would take years to build as a forteress, but it could serve as a basis for many adventurer stories !
Right, it would take alot of time until somebody finishes his or hers first project, expecially with a long sucession list. Does somebody know if designation will be saved if you abandone the fort to come back later? It would make working on a fort together easier.

Also, Toady posted this:
Quote from: Eggman360
With the upcoming update, say three Barons/Counts/Dudes are vying for power, and in adventure mode I Butcher two "Convince them to revoke their claims" via my axe, will the 3rd account for this and take power? Or will the dead leaders' sons/daughters/Wives/demon-spawn take over the claims and carry them on?
Quote from: monk12
So if a Dwarven Count has a claim on an open King position, and dies before that claim is resolved, will his heir (or whoever takes over the Count position) pursue that claim on the King position, or will they abandon it if there are other claimants already vying for it?
Quote from: Eggman360
Will titles be handed down if they are hereditary, such as kings with a line of succession handed down via relatives and bloodlines, do you think the game will account for this I mean? I don't mean the positions and titles themselves, but the claims to those positions? For example a Duke is killed and a Count lays claim to his *Empty* position, will the son of the now dead Duke also have a claim? Or will the son just automatically be made Duke regardless of the claim by the Count? I Guess what I'm asking is could a character have a claim to a position that isn't vacant? And if so will a dispute such as that stop the position being filled once the current holder dies?
The claims are made by historical figures, so the child will re-evaluate and make up their mind.  That doesn't involve much now, but they do get to decide.  They don't think about how their parent was involved for instance, even if that should be one of the factors.  If there's just a single claim for a while, that remaining person will get the spot (though I imagine that'll be subject to some extra testing later).  If the position is hereditary and their is an heir, the heir gets the spot before anybody else even has their claim AI kick in, but I imagine that's not going to stop historical figures later on from continuing to fuss.

Assassin's Guilds anyone?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2013, 03:56:43 am by Yuli Vlasi »
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 03, 2013, 04:46:12 am »

Right, it would take a lot of time until somebody finishes his or hers first project, especially with a long succession list. Does somebody know if designation will be saved if you abandon the fort to come back later? It would make working on a fort together easier.

I wasn't thinking of that. I think more of this as a preliminary.
Before beginning some people build their own fortress, leaving it when they feel it's done. After that, the succession game can begin.
It makes more things to see as an adventurer, and it doesn't change anything for the succession game as a Fortress.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 74