Poll

Should we mod the new world?

No
- 121 (60.5%)
Yes
- 79 (39.5%)

Total Members Voted: 200

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 74

Author Topic: DF2014: The Succession World! At Long Last!  (Read 109465 times)

Yuli Vlasi

• Bay Watcher
  • Eggs is Doom
    • View Profile
Re: DF2013: The Succession World?
« Reply #150 on: February 03, 2013, 10:38:56 am »

You mean people should build their fortresses first and start playing in adventure mode after there already are some interesting places to see?
I think it's time for us to get our basic rules down. World size, lenght of turns,....

The succession list:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 01:36:30 pm by Yuli Vlasi »
Take command. Lead your men. Hide in booze stockpile. Weep, and everyone weeps with you.
Maybe we could export Yuli: "Succession fortress too stable? Too boring? Just get our Yuli VlasiTM!"

kerlc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 03, 2013, 10:41:25 am »

I'd very much like to join this once it's up and running.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 03, 2013, 01:20:55 pm »

Also, 2 people could work together on a fort.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 03, 2013, 02:02:29 pm »

I meant, as we are at least 35 people ready to play this world, some/all of them could play first with the map, building some fortress for the future adventurers.
Then, the succession games happen, on this particular map. Of course, you don't visit your own fortress (in case the people playing the succession game also plays as adventurer). But it gives more "reality" to the game, with "humain" fortresses already on it.
You could then find artifacts, and if these fortress are well done, some big monsters hidden in it.

It's just an idea.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 03, 2013, 08:52:08 pm »

That should be great. I was also thinking of that, this morning. Building a huge maze with many traps, hidden levers and big monster (and treasures) on several levels. . Of course it would take years to build as a forteress, but it could serve as a basis for many adventurer stories !
Actually, I was planning on using my first turn to try to gen a world with a volcano in the middle for magma forges, and make a sort of world-forge that people could use as they pleased.

Also, since dwarves will be moving between sites and whatnot, people who have dwarfed will have to be listed on somebodies post, (probably my OP for when I start a new thread for when this actually begins) so that we don't end up with multiple dwarves with the same name in different parts of the world.

That said, I think we'll need to figure out who, on the list, wants a turn, just wants to be dwarfed, and so on in a more organized list, so we know who to dwarf as soon as dwarves are avaliable, and who wants to wait until their own turn so they can make their dwarf an adventurer.

Also, thanks Yuli Vlasi for the list updates.

I was thinking of having the turns be 48 hours long from the time you download the save, with 24 hours time from the last uploader's post to reply.
If that made no sense, because I'm bad at explaining, Player A uploads new save, Player B has 24 hours to respond and download the save, and then 48 hours to play and have the new save uploaded, at which point Player C has 24 hours to reply.

Any suggestions on changes in turn length? I want people to have enough time to do what they want yet still be flexible to personal schedules, without taking too long.

With those times, It would still take somewhere from 2 to 3 months for the 37th person on the list. MAN, that's a long line...
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 03, 2013, 09:11:59 pm »

Might require some ahead planning to make sure people have 2 days of relatively free time, perhaps rearranging the turn order somewhat to suit people's schedules.

World forge? Don't you mean Fort-forge?

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 04, 2013, 01:07:25 am »

Man...48 hours is very short. If you have to write the story AND play ONE year, it's very, very short. Remember there are people who are actually older than 15 and maybe have a job, too. And that a big fort can be laggy, especially as far as the last years are concerned...

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 04, 2013, 01:12:24 am »

And even 15-year-olds might be bogged down sometimes and not need more pressure to neglect their studies. How about an upper limit of a week, work towards a specific goal and try to get it done as fast as possible?

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 04, 2013, 01:30:43 am »

I am actually almost 15 and know exactly what you mean with the time. It sounds to be just too little. Maybe 60-72 hours, 2 and a half days to three?
Apparently coding DF is equivalent to slaying hydras.

zacen299

• Bay Watcher
  • And again everything goes wrong.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 04, 2013, 02:37:55 am »

You know at first when I saw this topic I thought there is no way anyone could pull this off. Then it hit me I'm on bay12 things like this should really have stopped surprising me by now. Definitely going to be watching to see if you guys can pull this off.
I (somehow) wield a marble coffin that i fill with the corpses of all I have slain (to make an already heavy object even heavier) in one hand, and the other holds a book made out out of fucking platinum. The book can crush skulls, and the coffin grows ever stronger and now that is has a few dead dragons in it, it sends people flying a mile backwards to explode in a pile of gore. Gore which I then place into the coffin,

mocman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 04, 2013, 03:42:15 am »

Ok you guys got to start making rules concrete before relaese of df2013.

(1) TURN DURATION:
______options for resnability 48-96h per
As some of you were suggesting.

(2) FORTRESS/ADVETURE INTERACTIONS:
___(A) Eighther no messing with people's stuff unless aloud
___(B) Teams/faction warfare of fortresses, adventures being "mercinaries"
___(C) Total uter chaos (unleashing fun)
I like b within reason of course.

(3) THERE ARE 37 PEOPLE!
___ I'm new to succession and like to join but that seems like a lot
Is it and if it is would we need to have 2-3 players per fort to keep
file size reasonable since it would get big quick.

Anyway that's my voice into this thing and this seriously interest me
I dedicate my fort as the "Advetures' Hub and Museum of Artifacts"
Combined with a "Mini-Mart & Hotel."

Add me to the list please.
Have a wonderful day

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 04, 2013, 04:10:03 am »

On behalf of all who don't post, I welcome you to the 2013 Dwarf fortress Community world! Enjoy your stay!

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 04, 2013, 04:12:06 am »

We should begin like this.

1\ No beginning before we are sure that the release is fully finished (bugs included). It is better to wait 2 more weeks if necessary, than beginning and have to abandon it before its end because of non compatible version or killing bugs.
2\ The world is generated, and there is a first turn of people who wants to leave a forteress on it. These people will write their story about it, but this will not be published until the very end of the succession game. By this way, we will have a double surprise (Adventurers will discover forteress which already exists, and have their own stories, but they will not know this story or map or of what they died (if they did, which is better of course). So we will read, after the end, two stories. The one from the ruler(s), and the one from the adventurer(s) !).
3\ When the turn of forteresses is over, it's time to play as adventurers and visit the world, and play the succession game.

What do you think ?

SilverDragon

• Bay Watcher
  • For glory!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 04, 2013, 04:23:17 am »

Agreed!

wowie

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 04, 2013, 06:19:00 am »

We should begin like this.

1\ No beginning before we are sure that the release is fully finished (bugs included). It is better to wait 2 more weeks if necessary, than beginning and have to abandon it before its end because of non compatible version or killing bugs.
2\ The world is generated, and there is a first turn of people who wants to leave a forteress on it. These people will write their story about it, but this will not be published until the very end of the succession game. By this way, we will have a double surprise (Adventurers will discover forteress which already exists, and have their own stories, but they will not know this story or map or of what they died (if they did, which is better of course). So we will read, after the end, two stories. The one from the ruler(s), and the one from the adventurer(s) !).
3\ When the turn of forteresses is over, it's time to play as adventurers and visit the world, and play the succession game.

What do you think ?

I think it might be better if you allowed adventurers in at intervals, like, after every X number of
fortresses an adventurer could play, and after that adventure the next wave of story chapters is released.
Adventurers add their own special kind of FUN to the mix, and we can't leave them until the very end, because that would be boring.
I plan on adventuring, by the way, so I'd be mad if I got pushed to the back of the line just because somebody wanted to segregate gamemodes.

Then again, I may have misunderstood your post. I found it very hard to read, for some reason.
I can't describe to you using words... how lame this signature is.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 74