Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Rant on "Trolling" and the misuse that pervades forums.  (Read 17426 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rant on "Trolling" and the misuse that pervades forums.
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2012, 07:21:30 pm »

Perhaps, if enough arguments like this occur, people will start signing my petitions for One World Dictionary wherein each and every word is assigned a single, specific meaning and guarded against misuse by nuclear failsafes. Like all foolproof plans, this will either earn me a Nobel Peace Prize or kill every living thing on the planet.
We should get some simplification while we're at it. So many useless words. It invites unnecessary ideas, potentially unhealthy ones.

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2012, 07:31:30 pm »

Tell me, why is it "misused" so much? because people learn to use it that way on the internet, so what dose that say? it says that there is a intrinsically big group that uses trolling as many other subjects, count that in with how many throw torlling around and IMO its quite clear its a majority

in fact I see nothing to say trolling at ALL started out as what we call it now, even when it comes to the itnert version of trolling

it started with "trolling for newbies" or more acutely translation fishing\ bating newbies, nothing to do with what it is now

so if you want to stick with trolling must mean something lets go back to the start where it only apllys to doing it to newibies

or is that a double standard
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2012, 07:46:59 pm »

Wolfy.
I don't know what you even mean there. It is intended to make people look incompetent. And what do you mean "newbies" to anyway? A specific forum? The internet in general?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2012, 07:52:35 pm »

You dont know where the term internet troll came form do you? one forum had a "paying your dues" step and they called it trolling for n00bs (newibies) back in the 1990's

So the way it was originality used it was to be used on n00bs to the forums as a way of paying dues, you would bug them and if they stayed they where good if they did not then they could not handle the internet anyways type of thing
I'm a bad speller, no amount of telling me how bad I am is going to make me better. People have been trying for over two decades. English is hard for me, its like how some cant get math, i cant get English.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 29, 2012, 07:55:06 pm »

You dont know where the term internet troll came form do you? one forum had a "paying your dues" step and they called it trolling for n00bs (newibies) back in the 1990's

So the way it was originality used it was to be used on n00bs to the forums as a way of paying dues, you would bug them and if they stayed they where good if they did not then they could not handle the internet anyways type of thing
I doubt that story, but we'll go with it for now.
That is not out of the meaning we were applying to it before. Trolling is done as somewhat of a test. If someone takes the bait, then they are the butt of the joke. If they get it; then they get to be in on the joke. It is meant to allow poking fun at those who aren't versed enough in internet culture to understand it.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 29, 2012, 08:00:41 pm »

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!msg/alt.flame/RMlMz6ft4r8/SwPcwihXE4AJ

This is just an example of it
Trolling for noobs was HUGE in the early 1990's look it up if you don't believe me

Seach for where it started all things will lead you to trolling for noobs

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 29, 2012, 08:03:05 pm »

But another article linked here says trolling started in the late 1980s, in small groups. I guess the theories aren't mutually exclusive, but..

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 29, 2012, 08:11:03 pm »

I meant started on the internet and became "big"

Trolling could of started on the 1800's but when it became "big" and all the rage was the early 1990's I'm sure it may of been sort of big in the 80's but its hard enough to find it in the early 2000's let alone the 80's, cant really say for sure.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #83 on: December 29, 2012, 08:18:09 pm »

Seach for where it started all things will lead you to trolling for noobs

The premise goes as here:

1. There is a phenomenon.
2. It can be described with one word.
3. The word that describes this phenomenon is used excessively and out of context.
4. This creates confusion.
5. This word should be used to exclusively describe that phenomenon.

Your funs:

1. Trolling is used to define lots of things by Lady Marjory.
2. Therefore it's hopeless to define things with words.
3. Lady Marjory always wins.
4. It's 1800 and the rage is for noobs.

...but its hard enough to find it in the early 2000's let alone the 80's, cant really say for sure.
Uh... You do know right?

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 29, 2012, 08:30:21 pm »

I'd say this thread has been entertaining, but reading Wolfy's word vomit gives me a headache. It was a nice OP though, well done. Though the actual definition of a troll was pretty vague, which I think may be causing the issues that have made reading this pretty much like pure boiling cancer eyeball injections.

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 29, 2012, 08:32:21 pm »

The premise goes as here:

1. There is a phenomenon.
2. It can be described with one word.
3. The word that describes this phenomenon is used excessively and out of context.
4. This creates confusion.
5. This word should be used to exclusively describe that phenomenon.
and mine is that is not true, there is no phenomenon, trolling is like evrey other word that gets chnaged
it can be decribed with one word, baiting.
3. its only used out of context by you if you keep using it that way, its not that way anymore, your saying it IS and SHOULD be used a cretin way, by saying its a phenomenon (no proof of how or why its any diffreint used) and that it explains it perfectly (please, if the word was pizza you would of said it explains it perfectly. any word can be used to describe any actions if you give it that defnition)
4. your the one doing it, if you just acapte its chnaged and move on it wont.
5. I disagree with that.

Uh... You do know right?
you misunderstand, I'm saying records and finding things from then is hard becuse of how things where back then, now we just type in search bar and can find most things

but they dont tend to go that far back.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 08:35:04 pm by Wolfy »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #86 on: December 29, 2012, 08:51:08 pm »

Uh... You do know right?
you misunderstand, I'm saying records and finding things from then is hard becuse of how things where back then, now we just type in search bar and can find most things
but they dont tend to go that far back.
As in... The definition we're using. You don't know the media it sprung up in? It won't show up in search engines because it gets routinely deleted. Meaning it doesn't exist anymore, beyond fragments of archived and imaged stuff. Which does indeed only go back so far. Which brings me back to the diagram...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
1. The phenomenon is not the word, the word describes the phenomenon. For some reason I feel you think phenomenon is some sort of grammatical structure.
2. Baiting is not trolling; even if taken to internet terms it is already associated with social engineering and passwords obtained willingly through trickery.
3. It's only used out of context if you use it out of context... As you are doing.
  • I am not pizzaing you.
  • It's not changed, it's misused.
  • Accept that pizza is now a verb and move on.
  • B-b-but wolfy, pizza is fine describing what it is now!

Don't worry, we'll just call pizzas worms and pizzas will now be muffins. Muffins are also muffins.
MMmmm... Worms.
  • MOVE ON AND ACCEPT THE DEFINITION
  • Oh and pizza also means  jerk, bad, crap, sour, horrible and Pluto (poor Pluto).
  • All words can now be changed when significant Marjory of people use it that way (I.e. myself, me and I).
  • Pizza da polis

5. I disagree with you, and your logic is astoundingly broken. It's more a wonder of science than actual rage inducing though... I'm actually interested how you could possibly believe anything you're saying. Otherwise 0/10, would not pizza again.

And now we're back with the circular arguments with no merits and I can't help but imagine you as a hopelessly confused puppy ;-;

I'd say this thread has been entertaining, but reading Wolfy's word vomit gives me a headache. It was a nice OP though, well done. Though the actual definition of a troll was pretty vague, which I think may be causing the issues that have made reading this pretty much like pure boiling cancer eyeball injections.
Yeah it's a great example of bad foresight on my part. Sorry about that.

Jeez wolfy, you've gotten so circular you've actually become a circle in the fourth dimension o-o

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 29, 2012, 08:53:24 pm »

Circles are two dimensional though.
You mean like a hypersphere?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #88 on: December 29, 2012, 08:54:54 pm »

Circles are two dimensional though.
You mean like a hypersphere?
Well the closest I got was n-sphere, but it couldn't describe as aptly how lost Wolfy seemed to me as a 2-d object in a 4-d universe.

Wolfy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 29, 2012, 09:11:52 pm »

Your the one going in circles, you keep saying "its a  phenomenon" I keep asking how is it and you keep saying "its a  phenomenon" as your awnser

what makes this diffreint form the word gay in anyway?

and I've alredy proven your claim that troll has only been around for less then a decade.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9