Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Thirst  (Read 3530 times)

dragginmaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Thirst
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 07:10:17 am »

Put wells in reach of prisoners. Or dont build a jail?

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 09:30:28 am »

No jail= Beatings from Legendary Military.  Also, with the diagonal thing, I need to make ramps from the surface, will it still work, or will it have pressure? 
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 09:56:00 am »

No jail= Beatings from Legendary Military.  Also, with the diagonal thing, I need to make ramps from the surface, will it still work, or will it have pressure?

Military doesn't do the beatings, captain of the guard and his squad does. You can stop the entire justice system by not having a sheriff/captain of the guard, or by appointing a paralyzed dwarf for the position.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2012, 10:12:40 am »

Pressure can be 'transmitted' north, south, east, west, above, and below. If you get water down to its final level using a long straight staircase, then the water will be pressurised between the source level and the bottom of the staircase at the very least. After you force it to move diagonally using baffles or a kink in the tunnel*, it is no longer pressurised. It'll run down levels if you give it the space to, but it'll be much slower than water that has a source pushing it around. If you use a pump the water will be repressurised to the level the pump sits on and will be capable of rapid flooding, but only to the level of the pump (this is less than comforting if the pump is above all the important areas of the fortress).

*These are pretty much the same thing to the game, but may be considered as conceptually different.

Here's an example (top down view):
Code: [Select]
##################
%%<<<<<<...!<<<<.#
########...#######
       #...#
       #####

What we have here is a pump leading to a 3x3 reservoir, with a smaller reservoir off to the right. The ! is the location of the fortification carved to link the two.

When the pump is off, it is safe to carve the fortification. The water will spread out naturally, forming a gentle slope, and areas of 6/7 water will start to appear left of the 3x3 reservoir as the water level tries to equalise across the whole tunnel.

When the pump is on, it is not safe to carve the fortification. The water will travel through the fortification and beyond much faster than a dwarf can move, and there'll be two or so tiles between dry floor and 7/7 water, meaning that the water that does come through is almost instantly at drowning depth.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2012, 11:04:03 am »

My Captain of the Guard and his Squad ARE the military.  They do the beatings, they all have names, and all are legendary with ginormous muscles and such.  Even a poke would hurt.
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2012, 11:31:20 am »

My Captain of the Guard and his Squad ARE the military.  They do the beatings, they all have names, and all are legendary with ginormous muscles and such.  Even a poke would hurt.

Just disband the squad, remove him from Captain of the Guard position, appoint him as militia captain, re-recruit squad.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2012, 12:07:08 pm »

And give them all the weapons they've grown attatched to.. the armor.. the shields.  I'll just make a well and get food nearby.

SharkForce

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2012, 08:06:13 pm »

last i checked... food stockpiles can hold drinks as well.

is there some particular reason you couldn't just... you know... put booze in the prison stockpile?

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2012, 08:56:54 pm »

Because dwarves are stupid and won't put it there.

Now... to MAKE SURE it goes there, you can designate food and booze to get dumped to a garbage zone overlapping a food/drink pile, set to "take from links only" with no links, and then manually dump certain piles of food and drink to get sent there. Careful not to Mass Designate, though, as you'll have the dwarves dump the alcohol out of the barrels. Which would be bad. Also make sure to Unforbid the food once it reaches jail, as it will be inedible in that state.

alternatively, yes, fire the captain of the guard and reappoint. Hell. You can just make a new squad, move the non-captains to the new squad, have some chump lead it so he gets called the leader, then replace him with the captain. Bada bing, bada boom. Should be no equipment reassignment required.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

MasterShizzle

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly in a fey mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2012, 02:45:57 am »

You shouldn't need to do any linking of stockpiles. Create a food stockpile within reach of your chained dwarves, make dump zones on top of it as stated above, and dump your food/booze in the appropriate places. Deactivate the dump zones and claim your foodstuffs once they're moved.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but (as long as you're using food that won't be cooked into anything) with no links your dwarves won't have any reason to move the goods off of the stockpile, since the stockpile matches the contents. Use prepared meals like cat tallow biscuits or something, and use some type of booze that's set not to cook in the kitchen screen, so your cooks won't grab anything from there as ingredients.
Boss is throwing a tantrum!
MasterShizzle cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: interrupted by Boss

Minecraft's fine, your computer just sucks.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2012, 10:40:24 pm »

The first death in my "prison" went completely un-noticed till I checked the population.  The second one took me by complete surprise.  I was monitoring the prisoners after that, making temporary food and booze stockpiles for them.  This particular farmer had 26 days left, and was not hungry, thirsty, or tired.  So I stopped watching him.  And he died. 

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2012, 09:18:10 am »

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but (as long as you're using food that won't be cooked into anything) with no links your dwarves won't have any reason to move the goods off of the stockpile, since the stockpile matches the contents.
They also won't take anything there unless you tell them or if the main stockpiles start to overflow, or if the main stockpiles are further away from the kitchen than the prison stockpiles.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 [2]