Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Thirst  (Read 3526 times)

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
Thirst
« on: December 28, 2012, 12:39:36 pm »

Two dwarves.  Two dwarves have died while in jail in my fortress.  All because our stupid Duke didn't get his large gems made... or his piccolos made.  Two dead.  I have 3 chains to be used for justice, and a bed next to each one.  The dwarves don't seem to be given food or water though, as they usually starve/dehydrate.  Tell me guys, how can I remove this noble without killing him?  I don't want anymore death in this fortress..

Edit:  If the Duke were to die... would the Duchess Consort take his place, or would she simply be a widow?  I may simply let the Duke die of thirst, as he did to two others... to save the rest of our people.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 12:44:18 pm by CaptainLambcake »
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Thirst
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 12:55:05 pm »

How to remove without killing?
Wall him into a room and make sure no one ever sees his corpsem. He'll just be missing.

Nobility is appointed for life.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 01:00:06 pm »

what a shame.... he's a legendary miner.  Wyrm, will his wife take over as Duchess if he dies?  if so, she'll have to die too..
You wake up in (suddenly) your room not somewhere Armok knows where. Travels in deserts and goblin forests turned up to be a dreams borned by procreation of your autistic imagination.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 01:05:54 pm »

I don't think so.
I'm pretty sure that once a baron, count, or duke dies, there is no way to replace him/her at the moment.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 01:12:17 pm »

good.  for the greater good... he will die.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 01:57:16 pm »

Make food and drink stockpiles in the prison that take from the main food and drink stockpiles. Or rearrange the food and drink storage so that a chained dwarf can reach both food and drink.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 02:02:58 pm »

Make food and drink stockpiles in the prison that take from the main food and drink stockpiles. Or rearrange the food and drink storage so that a chained dwarf can reach both food and drink.
This right here. The advantage to chains is that dwarves can feed themselves if food is nearby, not that dwarves will bring them food/water more often.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 02:16:52 pm »

i haven't killed anyone yet.  i'll try this, but if  another dies in captivity, the duke does too.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 05:39:11 pm »

I make a stockpile, and they refuse to bring anything there because my main one is not full.  I delete the main one so they'll bring the food and drink.   It works, but if I do not carefully monitor it, no new alcohol or food will be brought..

Edit:  If I can make a well underground, I can make my jail right next to it, and that will solve the biggest, deadliest problem; thirst.  When I tried in an old fort, I made ramps and such leading from the surface to the underground, and it flooded the entire room...  I don't in the SLIGHTEST understand pumps or any of that, I don't dabble in it because it makes my fort into SeaWorld every time... help?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 05:44:26 pm by CaptainLambcake »

McMagma

• Bay Watcher
  • McMagma, Fortress Addict.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 05:57:57 pm »

You can make a give link from your main food stockpile to your "Prison" Food Stockpile's...

Edit: Sorry, this
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 06:03:57 pm by McMagma »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 06:24:57 pm »

I don't think so.
I'm pretty sure that once a baron, count, or duke dies, there is no way to replace him/her at the moment.
Don't heirs inherit the title? Or is that just kings?

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 06:52:53 pm »

It doesn't matter, I won't kill the Duke, but I need to know how to make a well underground... I don't understand pumps in the least bit so if someone could explain em I could make myself a well.  I have one above ground near my enterance, but it's a bit useless since everyone lives so deep below.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 07:18:16 pm »

Do you have running water on the surface? In that case, it's pretty easy to get it down to whatever level you want. Just dig a shaft leading to a tunnel leading to your well reservoir, but put a kink in the tunnel so that the water has no choice but to move diagonally. Then dig out the last tile of wall separating the natural water and your waterworks.

To use a pump, replace the kink with a screw pump. Like so (side view, ASCII style):
Code: [Select]
....___
~~~~_>#
#####X#
#####X#
#####X#
#####X#
#####X#
#####X###_o__o_#
#####<.%%......#
######_##\____/#
################

Power supply for the pump is up to you. Also shown are the wells themselves (in the form of the letter o) and the minimum depth of the well -- you need at least one level of water that's just water and Open Space, otherwise you get mud in the buckets as well as water.

Using a pump will repressurise the water to the level of the pump while the pump is active. Using a kink will remove the water's pressure entirely.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 08:17:15 pm »

Just make the water move diagonal, yeah, like this:

Code: [Select]

Where 0's are walls and 1's are water, in true top-down format. This kills the water pressure.

CaptainLambcake

• Bay Watcher
  • fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 08:43:07 pm »

Ah, so that will remove the water pressure.  In an old fort, I attempted to make a well in my Meeting Room, and let's just say... I like to think years later, an archeology team uncovered a massive engraved room, and water began to pour out.  They went in to find all sorts of sea grasses and little fish and such had made this place home, after it had flooded.  in the center of the room was a pristine well, never at all used.
Pages: [1] 2