Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Creature Mode - adventurer sub-mode(s)  (Read 2238 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Creature Mode - adventurer sub-mode(s)
« on: December 27, 2012, 04:40:44 pm »

A fairly simple spin-off to the regular adventurer mode, where you play as a civilized humanoid (be it dorf, human, elf or kobold), which lets you play as basically any other creature.
Would be particularly fun in the upcoming release (because jumping, climbing and whatnot).

BUT!
A few things would have to change - mainly the birth thingy.
You would actually witness your "character" being born (if your creature can actually mate - if not, then I dunno, you just spawn somewhere), be it in the wild or a civilized site (will be great, because, well, civilized sites that are coming soon), and possess all skills typical for your creature - kicking, biting, flying and whatnot.

Yea, you wouldn't be able to use items, and there is going to be some dorf willing to butcher or hunt you, but hey - that's part of the fun, isn't it?
Besides, unless you are a goddamn dragon, you aren't going to live long.

It would also be really great if we got to play megacreatures and/or clowns at some point.
(if we could also choose our characteristics, it would be that much better)

Nonsequitorian

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
Re: Creature Mode - adventurer sub-mode(s)
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 04:45:25 pm »

Right now Toady uses Adv mode to see how things are working. This would allow us to use birds and see how things are working that much better.

I support.

syyrah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 05:37:08 pm »

There was mentioned something like this in dev pages, but with megabeasts instead. Personaly I would find mode to control one of the simple animals very interesting. First thing I would do is to make the dwarfs carpfearful once again. Anyway, it would be a nice tool to re/overpopulate the world with species of your choosing. Maybe some species specific interactions, like forming a pack or something.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 05:48:44 pm »

Personally the rule of thumb I believe in when it comes to something being playable is that it must contain at least subhuman intelligence.

So I reject creature mode based on just that.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 08:44:47 pm »

Some magical creatures should be small enough, right?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 08:55:59 pm »

Some magical creatures should be small enough, right?

I assume you mean smart enough.

No issue with intelligent critters.

As well there is no reason why creatures cannot use items. The game already has great mechanics why a dragon for example doesn't wear plate in that it would be a fantastical expense.

Breastplate costs 3 bars for a dwarf to use (and likely the same for a human) however for a dragon it would be 1250 bars.

It is kinda what makes the Bronze Collosus so fantastically impossible to make even for Dwarves who would know how. The sheer number of bars required would be greater then many forts could possibly ever get.

What people tend to forget about forts is that YES they are rich, it is intentional... yet when that wealth gets spread around you realise how little it really is.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2012, 09:01:23 pm by Neonivek »

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 10:29:35 am »

I am not saying that creatures would play exactly the same as current intelligent races.
But what would be wrong in playing as a, let's say, a horse? Or moreover, a bird of some kind? (or any creature that can fly, really...)

Items are a no-go - unless we're talking about animalmen "civs".

And tell me - you always wanted to play as the clown at some point, correct?
(If it were to happen, I'd say that circus would have to be opened at least once in a world for the Clown Mode to appear - otherwise you'd be just stuck there with nothing to do)

Nonsequitorian

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 11:56:42 am »

Clown mode is the spoilered-version of bureaucracy-mode. You have to use your wit and skill to worm your way to the top of the civ and participate in EXTREMELY EXCITING law-stuffs.

HA HA HA NO MORE PANTS IN MY CIV! HA HA ALL PANTS ARE EVIL, LISTEN TO ME I AM A PERFECTLY NORMAL HUMAN WITH HORNS AND MAGMA FOR BLOOD. HA HA DON'T WORRY, YOU CAN TRUST ME. I EAT BABIES, AND BABIES NEVER LIE HA HA HA HA HA.

NO PANTS. YOU. WITH THE PANTS. OFF. NOW. PLACE THOSE SCRUMPTIONS PANTS INTO MY MOUTHS' WARM EMBRACE. I WANT TO SUCKLE ON YOUR PANTS, FELLOW HUMAN! MMMM PANTS.

Sounds pretty baller to me. +1

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 10:04:48 pm »

what would be wrong in playing as a, let's say, a horse? Or moreover, a bird of some kind?

Since they lack the minimum of subhuman intelligence they are too far removed from the intelligence of a person to be playable. They are essentially what I consider "Unplayable".

There is nothing wrong mechanically it is just a thematic frame I wish to preserve.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 10:28:57 pm »

Agreed.
Any problem with a harpy or ogre or something?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 10:32:12 pm »

No problem so long as the game is aware of the prejudices such a creature may expect.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 10:35:42 pm »

Why would we need to witness the character's birth?  It would work well enough the way you start off in Adventure mode already, wouldn't it?

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 10:39:11 pm »

Why would we need to witness the character's birth?  It would work well enough the way you start off in Adventure mode already, wouldn't it?

For some creatures starting as a "child" works (Megabeasts for example).

Though yeah you are right.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 10:41:04 pm »

I'd like to play creatures, megabeast or otherwise.  I'd love to go man-eating lion on a village.
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 10:41:30 pm »

But yeah, I support this idea.  Those legendary ducks?  I want to be that.  Not some pansy-ass human.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v
Pages: [1] 2