Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 60

Author Topic: Prophets of the New God: most unfortunately dropped.  (Read 72164 times)

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 2 - The First Vision
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2013, 06:19:04 am »

Sejena shook her head sadly. 'All this could have been avoided, Mr. Medlan, had you seen fit to have a little human decency in your heart for a woman who has been a slave all her life,' she said, her tone cold. 'If your son is home, I would very much like to speak with him before I leave. I have news he needs to hear.'

With that, she made her way away from the man and towards the house, moving as quickly as she could. She considered the boy, Satjap. He seemed to have little respect for the king's laws and this new cult's hateful ways. She wanted to free the girls at the palace for the goddess - perhaps here was an agent for that.

Head for the house and tell Medlan's wife what his husband commands. Find the son, if he's home
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 2 - The First Vision
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2013, 10:16:13 am »

Are gods opposed to clear messages on some sort of religious message? Not IC, just a general comment. Although I must say that you've really captured the vagueness of the gods of real-world religions pretty well. Maybe a bit too specific for them, but this god is presumably real.

Oops.

Anyway.
Tell them all I know of my god and His teachings.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 3 - Captured!
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2013, 05:56:50 am »

Turn 3 - Captured!

Though the man accosting him is rather rude, Gronok feels he has very little other choice than to follow him. Who knows, he may even meet other people. Perhaps even prospective converts!

"Wise choice, old man. Come with me."

The young man leads him through the forest, and Gronok does his best to look out for anything strange.

[Perception roll: ?]

Though there is little to see in the forest aside from some skittish animals, Gronok does manage to mark out several specific landmarks during his walk - strangely shaped rocks, uniquely gnarled trees and so forth. He sees enough of them, in fact, that he bets he might even be able to find the way back on his own.

Eventually he is led to a campsite. Three people of varying ages, a youth, a middle-aged man and a child of about 12 years are sitting around the fire and conversing about their respective days.

[Camp dweller roll: 1]

As Gronok is led into the campsite, the three people get up and approach him with wide grins. He suddenly feels a dagger poking him in the ribs accompanied by a vicious half-whisper.

"An old man lost in the woods without a single clue. Lucky us, don't you think? Tell me, old man, why were you shouting? Were you trying to find any friends of yours nearby?"

Since the pasture holds very little challenge for her anymore, Shashari opts to leave with her newly-acquired animal and proceed further along the road.

[Traveling roll: 3]

She travels for a few miles before reaching a forested area. She's always heard about how the woods were a dangerous place from her father, full of brigands and other sorts of hazards. Definitely no place for a fine young lady such as herself. However, it seems to be her only lead at the moment. She stops to consider her next move.

The merchant's harsh words are too much to leave unanswered, Sejena thinks.

"All this could have been avoided, Mr. Medlan, had you seen fit to have a little human decency in your heart for a woman who has been a slave all her life."

Medlan's face twists into an expression of pure resentment, almost as though her words had somehow let loose a flood of pent-up emotion.

"You are a fine one to talk about human decency, devil-whore! Decency is offered to those who deserve it, not some harlot grabbed from a filthy pack of slaves! Decency is for good people, not the dregs of society, the filth that infests and twists our way of life! I-"

Sejena interrupts his rant before he can come up with something original.

"If your son is home, I would very much like to speak with him before I leave. I have news he needs to hear."

"You stay away from my son! He may have made mistakes, but I will not have him be taken by the devil for it! I swear to every god I know of, if you so much as speak to my son, I will choke the very life out of your harlot's throat with my own two hands!"

He does look like he means it. There's a particular look in his eyes. Either way, not a whole lot of good is to come from speaking with him further. Sejena elects to just leave quietly, letting the man take out his frustration on the empty air. It doesn't take long until she reaches Medlan's house. After knocking on the door, she comes face to face with a woman who couldn't be more than twenty years old, if that.

"Yes, what is-oh my, you are-I apologize for my manner, is there anything you wish?"

"Yes, your husband sent me. You are to make me some plain traveler's clothes out of the fabrics provided."

"Plain clothes? For you? Well, I suppose I shouldn't interfere with his dealings. He gets so worked up if anyone does that, you know?"

She lets Sejena in and examines her from head to toe.

"Hm, you look to be about... yes, that's right... hm. Well, worry not. I will have your clothing ready as soon as possible, honored guest."

She takes the fabrics and disappears off into one of the rooms. Well, better take a look around.

[Other people's presence roll: 5]

As she strolls down one of the hallways, she notices Satjap, the ladies' man himself, lying on a bed of cushions and staring up into the ceiling. He is obviously awake and very bored. Perfect.

Shaken to consciousness by the man's voice, Phiali quickly gets up and heads outside, where he is met by the sight of a whole lot of people.

[Crowd roll: 1]

Most of them look rather hostile. In fact, all of them except the leader look quite ready to stick him on a pike, then slowly roast him over an open flame. Something must have happened while he was asleep. Guess he'll need to make this good, then.

[Charisma roll: 5+1+1-1]

He tells them of his god's character, that it enjoys the sight and presence of water and alcohol, dislikes monogamy and war, is rather vengeful, but possesses a sense of humor nonetheless! He informs them of the god's appreciation of revelry and acceptance of free relationships. As he does so, the people's hatred seems to be slowly replaced with slight bafflement. Even the leader looks confused. When Phiali has completed his description, the leader speaks once more.

"Our gods seem rather similar. It is odd, don't you think? Could they have been the same god all along?"

There is intense whispering currently happening in the crowd.

He hears the unmistakable sound of knives being sheathed and clubs being lowered. Seems like they're not about to kill him yet. That's good, he thinks.

Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 06:00:04 am by Harry Baldman »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2013, 10:11:06 am »

Holy Carp, Mother of the God, that was impressive.

Talk some about their old god. Miracles, teachings, personalities, whatever they know.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2013, 10:40:32 am »

Sejena smiled after the merchant's wife, already regretting her curt tone. She felt... safe - not completely, but far more than in the street. She took a moment to consider what to say to Satjap, and approached.

'Hello, Satjap. Missing Isra?' she asked, settling down opposite the boy. The name of his beloved - well, the only one as far as she knew - ought to get his attention. 'I am glad to see you, and I imagine you might be surprised to see me, and I hope, glad, too. So few are.'

She smiled, lounging on the cushions. He was easy on the eyes, that was for sure. No surprise an airhead like Isra had fallen for his charms.

'But you're not like most people, are you? No, you're... special. You don't mind bending the laws of the king and this cult, do you? They are unjust, just another form of slavery, are they not?' Sejenna said. 'But, I blather. I come bearing news. They plan to move Isra and most of the girls to the King's summer palace. She does not know of this. You will not see her again. But... she seeks escape, as do all the girls. You have a chance here, Satjap, to have her for yourself... forever. Help me free her, and the others.'

It was a lie - the summer palace had its own concubines - with a fine white lie for a good cause. They would shatter the girls' shackles forever in the Goddess' name. Speaking of which...

'There is another who would help us, Satjap. She has come from the heavens and the sea's froth for a single fearsome purpose. Aulanna, the Bloody-Red Lady - she will give her followers freedom, and paint these lands red with the blood of those who would try to stop her. I would give you her blessing, if you'll let me.'

Try to convince Satjap to help me free the Concubines. Tell him of the Goddess and give Her Blessing (+1 Charm or Luck, if there's such a thing, for 4 turns = 4 MP.), if he'll let me.

((Maybe I should've saved some of my babblings for the next turn. Oh well.))
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2013, 03:24:47 pm »

"I think, young man, if you questioned me as I think you inted to, you would find that everyone I know has been slaughtered by bandits. I have no wealth, but what I can do is tell you of the God that saved my life and struck down those who would kill me. I think it would be a bad idea to harm he who has the blessing of a god, do you agree?"

Tell them of my story and Mo'kar, making it the best story ever. Entertaining, terrifying, whatever, just use my storyteller's skills to their full benefit. Convince them to follow Mo'kar (and me), as they will surely enjoy more success as prophets than as bandits in some random patch of desert.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2013, 05:40:09 pm »

Shashari winced. The woods were no place for her indeed... but as she glanced down at her new companion, she decided that maybe this was a test. She'd taken the only thing worth having from some abandoned scrubland, maybe the woods were another challenge...?

Taking a deep breath, she began marching into the woods.

Continue on into woods.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2013, 12:07:54 pm »

Elizas grins and hops up onto the drivers seat. "Whatever you'd like to share my fellow workingman! What tune would you like me to play?"

Indulge in alcohol and play the requested music for the man. Also inquire on where exactly we are headed to.

((For some reason, I keep missing this game, even though I look for it. Huh.))
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 4 - Good Socialization
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2013, 01:10:15 pm »

Turn 4 - Good Socialization

Intrigued by the cultists' comparison of their two gods, Phiali decides to try and find out more about this Rekinozom. Perhaps what they say is indeed true?

"Tell me of your god as I have told you of mine, so that we may better compare them."

"Very well, we shall tell you of Rekinozom."

[Rekinozom roll: 4]

"Rekinozom is a god who emphasizes personal freedom, and loves nature as the epitome of this ideal. As such, slavery is one of the greatest sins one can commit in His presence. We preach freedom for all in matters of love, politics and other spheres, and we live apart from society because their ideals and way of life are unacceptable to us. Rekinozom is known to appear to the faithful as a songbird, and it is customary to kneel when you hear the song of one."

"What of miracles? Do you know of any miracles performed by Rekinozom or his faithful?"

"Very few, as the worship of Rekinozom has always been practiced by a closed fringe, so we do not possess the lore of more ancient worshippers. However, what little miracles we do know of usually relate to bathing in a mountain spring and attaining physical and mental well-being. For this reason, we revere such water sources and use their water liberally in our rituals."

"I see. Hm."

Perhaps they would indeed make good converts. After all, it would only be a minor step for them to become proper worshippers of the One True God.

Having found her quarry, Sejena makes a confident approach.

"Hello, Satjap. Missing Isra? I am glad to see you, and I imagine you might be surprised to see me and, I hope, glad, too. So few are."

[Satjap reaction roll: 4]

He pauses his careful appraisal of the ceiling and flips on his side, facing the unexpected arrival with a calm demeanor.

"Ah, a palace resident come to see me. I am glad, I truly am. Saves me a bit of a walk, you know. Also a fair bit of money, as you might imagine."

He stretches out on the cushions and lets out a long yawn.

"But, back on point, you were saying something about Isra? How is the girl? Still enjoying the easy life?"

"About that, I come bearing news. They plan to move Isra and most of the girls to the King's summer palace. She does not know of this. You will not see her again. But... she seeks escape, as do all the girls. You have a chance here, Satjap, to have her for yourself... forever. Help me free her, and the others."

[Satjap helpfulness roll: 3]

"Oh, I'd love to. Believe me, I really would. Sounds like a magnificent adventure, to be sure. But hardly worth it, is it not? I would obtain a girl who, while admittedly fetching, would make me lose everything else - my home, my family, any chance at obtaining my father's enterprise, my father's aid. To risk all of that for a single girl would be sheer folly."

He looks up again at the ceiling, then back to Sejena.

"Unless I am to get something else from the deal. Something with a higher market value than a single concubine of uncertain parentage and few skills. Women come and go, after all."

With a dagger at his ribs and hostile-looking people in front of him, Gronok has no choice but to resort to his ultimate weapon, the fine art of fast-talking.

[Charisma roll: 2+1]

"I think, young man, if you questioned me as I think you intend to, you would find that everyone I know has been slaughtered by bandits. I have no wealth, but what I can do is tell you of the God that saved my life and struck down those who would kill me. I think it would be a bad idea to harm he who has the blessing of a god, do you agree?"

"What I don't think you realize, old man, is that we've slaughtered a great many people claiming to be blessed by any number of gods. What you're saying is hardly something new. I've found that the prayers of the blessed ones make their painful death much more satisfying, in fact."

The young man shoves Gronok away, sending him to the ground, and begins to whisper to his compatriots.

Gronok can't really make out much of what they're saying. He's pretty sure he heard the words "stick" and "gills", however. Well, at least they're not directly looking at him anymore.

Though the forest ahead is indeed foreboding, Shashari sees it as an opportunity for personal growth and development. Possibly even an opportunity to find more things to make her own. She heads in with her ram, ready to face the perils of the woods.

[Exploration roll: 3]

After walking through the vast green of the forest for a good three hours, she comes to a path branching off from the road. It seems to be leading to a slightly elevated area of the woods. Though the wilds that way seem more untamed, there is the distinct possibility that the path leads somewhere that people live in or at least frequent, which might not be the case with this neverending blasted road.

It is getting quite dark already, and Shashari begins to consider the need for shelter. And food. And water. She also considers the wisdom of not bringing any of these with her. Such is the price of divine inspiration, she supposes.

Having gotten a free ride, Elizas happily accepts the offer of booze from a stranger.

"Whatever you'd like to share, my fellow workingman!"

The merchant nods and hands him a plain-looking bottle. He takes a swig.

[Booze roll: 5]

This stuff is absolutely great, Elizas finds. The taste is great, and the drink itself gives him a certain floaty, airy feeling, as though his own god had actually come down from the heavens and patted him on the back for a job well done. In fact, that's exactly what might have happened, given who he worships!

"Good stuff, no? That's my last bottle of Azlippus temple wine, bought over a year ago when I was last in Berikalam. Really, it's worth going there for the wine alone, hah!"

"I see. What tune would you like me to play?"

[Merchant request roll: 4]

"How about... 'The Endless Table'? Seems fitting enough!"

Fortunately, this tune is familiar to Elizas, being one of the more widespread melodies along the continent. He begins to play.

[Music roll: 2+1]

He plays the song for a bit, but somewhere along the way becomes lost in thought, thinking back to the wine of Azlippus. That was some of the best wine he's ever had, and there's apparently more in Berikalam. How fortunate for him.

"Are you all right there, friend? You seem a bit... distant."

He snaps out of his momentary distraction and decides this would be the best time to ask a question.

"Where exactly are we headed, fine merchant?"

"Berikalam, the most beautiful city in Tezelom! In more ways than one, I might add. You've never been there before, have you? Well, it's a wonderful place. They love foreigners, enjoy all sorts of interesting merriment and are mostly great people. You'll love it, I bet, being a man after my own heart!"

He takes the bottle of temple wine and takes a swig of his own. As he gulps the wine, there is an expression of bliss in his eyes.

"Beautiful stuff, that."
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 01:42:47 pm by Harry Baldman »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2013, 01:16:15 pm »

Emphasize these similarities as I finish converting this village. Around noon, request the power to perform miracles to prove the God's power and the knowledge to know where such a miracle would do the most good. Perform said miracle.
Sig

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2013, 01:43:41 pm »

(Talking is a free action, is it not?)
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2013, 02:02:52 pm »

Talking is indeed a free action. Persuasion, however, is not.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2013, 02:07:08 pm »

Are Miracles always successful, or do you roll for them?
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2013, 02:29:44 pm »

Sejena pursed her lips. Ah. She had chosen the wrong approach after all, then. She considered persuasion... but... no, that didn't seem right. That was what she would have done in her old life. The Lady did not suffer fools gladly.

'The laws of today will not be here for long, Satjap,' she said. 'There is one who comes from the heavens and the sea's froth for a single, fearsome purpose. Aulanna, the Bloody-Red Lady - she will shatter the chains of her followers and paint these lands red with the blood of those who would oppose her. I serve her now, Satjap. She is the one true goddess, and she will bring the reign of the king to an end. Either you will stay and cower within these walls in fear of your father's disapproval and die with the rest, or turn to the Goddess now, and become a legend.'

She could feel the Goddess' power within her, seeming to darken the room around her, making her seem taller, the pathetic worm before her shrinking away...

Miracle: Divine Charm - Evoke Fear (3-4 MP)

((Is evoking fear possible? Or would that go under something else?))
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 02:50:32 pm by Digital Hellhound »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2013, 02:38:07 pm »

"If you would take the time to answer your question, overlooking the fact that I have nothing of value. Would you?"
I'm just asking them questions for now, so this should count.
I hope. 
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 60