Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 60

Author Topic: Prophets of the New God: most unfortunately dropped.  (Read 72120 times)

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: The Prophets Have Arrived!
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2012, 01:18:01 pm »

Elizas hobbled along the cobble robble, groaning as the unbearable sun bared it's burden but on his back. Seriously, it was really hot. Elizas's turban was matted to the crown of his shaved head with sweat, and the exposed part of his skin, dark as coal, glimmered in the heat. As he licked his lips, catching a few bits of perspiration, Elizas saw the first signs of humanity that he'd witnessed in a while; a passing caravan.

The caravan must have water, or even better, the sweet nectar of wine or beer. Though it was moving farther away from him. Before breaking out into a sprint, Elizas pulled a buffalo-bone guitar from his pouch, a traditional instrument in his homeland and the only one he had brought with him. Strumming the string in between the bones to test the melody, Elizas ran for the caravan.

Elizas runs after the caravan trying to get their attention by playing the melody "Feast for a Warrior" on his guitar.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2012, 01:20:25 pm »

Dunes, hills, stone and sand, along with dirt, rocks, trees, and ... uh ... crap. Forgot.
Gronok shook his head. He needed to actually find a way to a village; these bones of his were achy and sore, and he had a story he was sure the people would love - and it was true for once! The story of a new God, to lead them out of this era of poverty and suffering. For a moment Gronok could see it, great cities dedicated entirely to learning, shimmering in the wind! Wait, that was a mirage.
Gronok will continue to walk onward for now, trying to spot anything that could lead him to a village or any form of shelter.

((Incidentally, Sir Harry, would it be possible for me to change the god preferences of my character sheet? I realized that not only does it not fit well with Gronok being a storyteller and all, but also that those valorous acts are going to get him killed! ... Really fast! He is old, after all. So would it be reasonable to change my idea if the god to something more in-touch with Gronok?))
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 01:43:20 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2012, 01:24:09 pm »

((Incidentally, Sir Harry, would it be possible for me to change the god preferences of my character sheet? I realized that not only does it not fit well with Gronok being a storyteller and all, but also that those valorous acts are going to get him killed! ... Really fast! He is old, after all. So would it be reasonable to change my idea if the god to something more in-touch with Gronok?))

Yes, it would indeed be possible. Do so if you wish.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2012, 01:27:40 pm »

I'll edit the character sheet. Thank you!
Edited.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 01:43:32 pm by Xantalos »
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 1 - Ups and Downs
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2012, 03:49:40 pm »

Turn 1 - Ups and Downs

In the city of Telokiim, the infamous Sejena decides to get a less-conspicuous outfit for herself. This means that her task is twofold - first, she must find a merchant willing to deal with her. Second, she has to make sure she is not stoned to death by the populace in the process. Third, she has to hope that the populace does not see through her disguise. She sets out to find a merchant who might help her.

[Search roll: 6-->5]

After taking a cautious stroll along the less-populated areas of the marketplace, she finds a certain stall. The stall itself sells fabrics and various other odds and ends, but its owner is of much greater interest to her. The owner, a man named Medlan of Adokiim, happens to be someone she knows. More precisely, she knows one of his sons. Even more precisely, she knows of that particular son's nightly escapades with one of the younger concubines in the palace achieved through the combination of careful bribery and brazen insolence. The value of this information is great indeed, she realizes - if word of his son's activities were to get out, not only would the son be investigated and probably executed by the king's men, the name of his family would be shamed for the next twenty years at least, probably for far longer in the eyes of the reigning cult. They aren't known to be forgiving of extramarital relations.

Sejena believes she may have found her man.

On the southeast border of Tezelom, Phiali thanks the marvelous providence by the grace of God and heads for the smoke trail. After a bit of trudging through the forest, he finally comes upon the source of the smoke.

[Perception roll: ?]

He doesn't really notice anything about the area until he comes right to the clearing. It looks to be a large bonfire. A whole lot of people seem to be dancing around it, their hands joined to form a circle. They seem to be well-armed.

[People perception roll: ?]

One of the people turns his head toward Phiali almost immediately and lets out a short, very controlled and deliberate shout. The people immediately break the circle and pull out their spears, swords and hatchets, forming what seems to be a battle formation.

[People reaction roll: 5]

One of the people, a man of about 50 years, begins to laugh and lowers his weapon. The others begin to chuckle and also put away their assorted armaments. The older man speaks in a gentle tone.

"We are sorry for our less-than-friendly reception, stranger. Can you forgive us? We are merely cautious of the temple guards of Kezilam. They hound us at every turn, and even in this place we are not safe. Let me introduce our group - we are the worshippers of Rekinozom, god of nature and revelry. And who might you be?"

Phiali clears his throat, then begins to speak.

"I am Phiali Heavenchanter, and I have much to tell you of."

[Charisma roll: 6+1-->6]

He then launches into an epic tale of his pilgrimage to the land of Tezelom, describing in detail the horrors of war back in the lands of the south, then beginning to describe his miraculous survival in the battle with the fiendish tribe of the Singing Spear, demons in human form that reputedly drink the blood of women and children to achieve the strength and brutality they are known for. He describes how he was forced to watch the demon-people kill his fellow warriors, and how they were going to kill him as well, his survival through means unknown to even him. He then spins the tale of how he followed the call of his new god, the True God, to the land of Tezelom, braving untold dangers and seeing things he never thought possible.

The day becomes night and slowly turns to morning as Phiali gets through all of his tale, leaving nothing unexplained. Through all this, the cultists listen with the utmost attention, seemingly hanging on to his every word. As he gets to the end of his tale so far, most of the worshippers stare at him wide-eyed. The leader begins to speak.

"You have suffered much and seen much, Phiali Heavenchanter. You are free to stay with us however long you wish and rest in the finest tent in our commune, but only on one condition."

"And what would that be?"

"When you awaken, you will tell us more of the god you follow. It seems that he is a strong god, indeed. Perhaps he can match the zealotry of Kezilam that our own god seems to be unable to counter."

Some of the people present gasp and are about to protest.

"Silence! We shall hear more in the morning. Then, we shall see. Until then, speak no more."

The man points Phiali to the largest tent in the area.

"There are your quarters for the night. Go now and rest."

On a road and completely lost, Shashari decides to investigate the flock of sheep, as unbecoming of a young girl as such an activity may be. After all, where there are sheep, there are also shepherds. She walks over the field, stumbling on certain patches of unsteady ground, but reaching the flock eventually.

[Flock reaction roll: 1-->2]

The sheep of the flock retreat in reaction to her approach, leaving behind a rather aggressive-looking ram. It looks at her menacingly, as if daring her to make a move. She glances around to see if there is anyone who might help.

[Perception roll: ?]

She doesn't see anyone around, no shepherds, no other people, nobody. It looks like somebody's being negligent in their duties at exactly the worst time. Looks like Shashari's alone in this standoff with an animal both stronger and better armed. Probably faster as well.

On the merchants' road to Berikalam, Elizas finds himself sufficiently tempted by the caravan's potential goods that he decides to try and ride with them. But first, he has to reach them. He breaks into a run, intent on getting to the caravan as soon as possible.

[Pursuit roll: 3]

His run might be called leisurely by most observers, though Elizas himself might counter with an observation that slower, but regular performances can win the attention of the public much more effectively. After all, if this fails, he'll still need to get to Berikalam somehow. With his run not really working so well, he decides to enact his second plan, which is like his first plan, but with good guitar music added. He pulls out his buffalo-bone guitar and begins to play.

[Performance roll: 4]

He manages to strum the guitar quite pleasantly, unleashing a rather catchy tune. The caravan seems to turn their heads in his direction and look curiously.

[Caravan reaction roll: 3]

They slow their pace a little bit, turning around to look at Elizas, but don't stop entirely. It takes quite a while until Elizas finally reaches the caravan, and he is quite tired when he does.

[Endurance roll: 5]

However, the mental promise of alcohol he made to himself keeps him on his feet. He gives the caravan people his most winning smile. A merchant among the travelers looks at him curiously.

"What is it you want, musician? Why are you after us?"

After not finding a village where he remembered one to be, Gronok just keeps walking. There has to be a village somewhere around here, right? It wouldn't be like him to just invent a village, at least not in one of the "factual" stories he likes to tell. It's probably just further down the road or something.

[Exploration roll: 1-->5]

However, his optimism turns out to be entirely unfounded as he wanders along the road for what feels like forever. No matter how hard he looks and hopes, he cannot see a village anywhere. It is really beginning to disturb his state of mind. What doesn't help is that it seems to be getting dark, but there is still no sign of shelter of any kind. Only hilly plains as far as the eye can see, with the occasional tree breaking up the monotony.

Spoiler: MP Tracker (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: GM Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 03:51:40 pm by Harry Baldman »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2012, 04:12:42 pm »

"By the Teacher, I think I'm lost. What to do, what to do, oh wait I'm a prophet."
Gronok will try shouting to see if anyone is around. If that fails, he beseeches Mo'kar for assistance, asking for Divine Knowledge of the closest human settlement, be it temporary or otherwise. (That should only cost 1 MP, right, GM? Arg I hate commas.)
Sig! Onol

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 31, 2012, 04:27:46 pm »

"I accept your deal. I have had a long day and a longer journey; could you please show me where I may rest?"

Once they do, pray, then sleep.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2013, 01:31:36 pm »

Sejena put on her most convincing smile. 'Good day, Mr. Medlan,' she said. She doubted the man knew exactly who she was, or how she knew his name. [color]'I'd like to obtain a set of plain travelling clothes from your stocks, as soon as possible. I'd be extremely grateful if you could help me with this matter - and with your famous discretion.'[/color]

She'd try to be civil, first. If the man refused, or saw fit to respond unkindly, goddess knew what she'd do.

Try to charm Medlan over. If this fails, blackmail.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2013, 10:02:41 pm »

Shashari was about to back off and attempt to discreetly leave when a thought occurred to her. Sure, a ram wasn't the epitome of strength, but it was certainly stronger than her. Maybe she should attempt to commandeer it for herself; after all, the shepherd had made a rather critical blunder in leaving it alone to maul her. Perhaps he owed her this.

Unfortunately, her powers were insufficient to simply use divine aid, at least for a permanent companion. She'd have to attempt more mundane methods unless things got genuinely dangerous.

Attempt to tame the ram.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2013, 12:11:31 am »

Elizas gave a polite bow to the caravan. "Greetings fair merchants. I am just a court entertainer who has lost his path into the city, parched and tired. So, I ask a favor; please let me ride with you on your way to the settlement, and drink enough to keep me from fainting. In return, I'll play any songs or poems that you wish during the ride, completely free of charge.

If Elizas played his cards right, he could not only get a free ride, but also his first converts.

Ask the merchants the merchants to accept the deal above.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prophets of the New God: Turn 2 - The First Vision
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2013, 05:05:47 am »

Turn 2 - The First Vision

Since his previous strategy bore him no fruit, Gronok decides to change his plan - he will not look for people, he will make them find him! There is probably someone around, after all. He just can't see them. Gronok begins to shout loudly, beseeching people all around to assist a prophet in need.

[Response roll: 6-->2]

After a good ten minutes of strolling and yelling in the most desperate manner he can manage, Gronok is suddenly interrupted by someone tapping him on the shoulder. He turns around.

It seems to be a young man that just tapped him, though with a certain weathered look that makes him seem prematurely aged. He looks rather annoyed.

"Stop making noise, old man, and come with me. Can't have people blundering around here and making a racket."

Phiali graciously accepts the leader's offer and, tired after his long day of traveling, heads to the tent the man pointed out. The tent is lavishly decorated from both the inside and outside and offers great comfort to the weary pilgrim.

Phiali takes one of the bowls available in the tent and fills it with water from one of his many flasks. He puts the bowl in front of him, kneels, then submerges his hands in the bowl. He then brings his palms on his face in a slow, drawn-out motion. Finally, he puts his hands back in the bowl and begins to pray. Total immersion would have been preferable, but you have to make do with what you've got.

After recounting his prayers, Phiali lies down to sleep. In his dreams, he sees men in long white robes plucking the feathers from birds that are still alive and fighting to escape their grasp. The birds cry pathetically, but the statue-like gazes of the men and the steel grip of their mighty hands prevents them from doing any more than that. After the birds are plucked, the men go to a golden room to seek the favor a tiny golden woman, who orders them to bathe in fire. Phiali realizes that this golden woman, while seemingly fierce, is weak and pliable in the hands of the truly righteous and that without this woman, the men are blind and deaf.

Phiali is suddenly awakened by voice in the tent. It's the leader, and he looks somewhat worried.

"Come. We have need of your words."

Sejena approaches Medlan's stall, smiling as convincingly and pleasantly as she possibly could.

[Medlan reaction roll: 2]

"Good day, Mr. Medlan."

Medlan merely looks off into the distance and says nothing. He doesn't even give Sejena a glance. Considering that the man has always had a reputation for sharp eyes and even sharper ears, this is doubtlessly intentional. It's quite amazing, really. He has even managed to keep the same completely bored and disinterested expression on his face. He'd make a good member of the king's court with skills like that.

"I'd like to obtain a set of plain travelling clothes from your stocks, as soon as possible. I'd be extremely grateful if you could help me with this matter - and with your famous discretion."

Still no response. Well, if politeness fails, it's time for blackmail.

[Blackmail roll: 6+1-->5]

"After all, isn't discretion one of your bywords? I hear it runs in the family. In fact, I do recall a time when I saw a certain someone taking an educational trip through the concubines' quarters. Though he was rather loud at times, the guards didn't seem to notice a thing for some reason. Imagine that. So here I was thinking, if a man can barge into the concubines' quarters at night and have his way with them, I am obviously in great danger there. I see only two solutions here - I could inform the king of the glaring flaws in his palace security. But I could also get an inconspicuous set of clothing from a kind stranger and leave the palace for good. Which would you prefer, Mr. Medlan?"

As Sejena gets through her speech, the look on Medlan's face changes from boredom to uncomfortable realization to sheer agony. When she asks her question, he finally looks at her, then takes several sheets of fabric and gives them to her.

"My wife, she lives in my house three buildings down the street. Find her and tell her I sent you and that you want some traveler's clothes made. After that, leave and never come back. And do not dare mention my name in relation to yours for as long as you live."

Medlan points out his house and makes a shooing motion.

Though Shashari's first instinct is to leave, she thinks better of it. After all, animals and people share many common properties. Perhaps ease of taming is one of them?

[Animal taming roll: 5]

She gives the ram a very strict, dominant stare and tries her very best to show a lack of fear from it. The ram is obviously surprised by this, losing all the menace it formerly presented. As Shashari approaches the creature, it becomes docile, even submissive. It proves not very difficult to tame at all, actually. Probably because it's already a tame animal, but Shashari still feels rather proud of her success. And she now has a new companion, certainly of limited use, but probably good for something nonetheless.

With all the grace and composure he could muster, Elizas bows and makes an offer to the merchants.

"Greetings, fair merchants. I am just a court entertainer who has lost his path into the city, parched and tired. So, I ask a favor; please let me ride with you on your way to the settlement and drink enough to keep me from fainting. In return, I'll play any songs or poems that you wish during the ride, completely free of charge."

[Merchant reaction roll: 6-->4]

The merchant smiles genuinely at him and speaks in a far more pleasant tone than previously.

"Well, I see no harm in that proposition. After all, we should be honored that an actual court entertainer saw fit to grace our humble caravan with his presence! You can sit right next to me in the cart, honored guest. You can even have some of my wine! Which do you prefer, good-tasting or expensive? I have both, hah!"

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2013, 05:15:07 am »

"Well, I couldn't die out here, now could I? That would disappoint Mo'kar, AND leave you without His guidance. Can't have that. Who are you, by the way, and where are we going?"
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2013, 05:40:04 am »

"Well, I couldn't die out here, now could I? That would disappoint Mo'kar, AND leave you without His guidance. Can't have that. Who are you, by the way, and where are we going?"

"Don't ask questions. Not here."

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2013, 05:42:36 am »

Shashari smiled, pleased with herself.

"Come along then," she said to the ram, leading the way back to the road.

Return to road, continue down it with new ram.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2013, 05:44:10 am »

"Well, Mo'kar obviously has someplace for us to be. Let's go!"
Gronok follows the young man back to wherever he's leading him, keeping an eye on the surroundings in the meantime.
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 60