Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: how overpowered are overlords?  (Read 2512 times)

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
how overpowered are overlords?
« on: December 24, 2012, 09:01:31 am »

after being sent to a quest to kill an overlord with the name wisho, dying at the first time, i came back with an elven bladedancer to gain revenge, I did manage to get him knocked out but now theres a problem, after about 1000000 jabs to the head (yes) he still didnt die, what is happening? bug?

Freshmaniscoolman

• Bay Watcher
  • Internecivus raptus
    • View Profile
Re: how overpowered are overlords?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2012, 09:04:37 am »

well just after this happeed i ignited an oak that was right next to the scene, apparently, wisho (the overlord) melted to death, but i was melting and before i could escape i died, how can you melt from igniting an oak?

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2012, 09:16:06 am »

Your elf decided that after displaying such a shameful display of uselessness, and having to resort to igniting one of the precious trees that grew in this world, it was simply too much.
Your elf ignited the oak and itself and promptly burned to the ground with everything around them.

Or well, might've just been bad luck. It's not like DF hasn't displayed a good share of bizarre bugginess already.

Also worth noting is the question of "What race was the Overlord?" - because Masterwork (judging by Bladedancer) adds some pretty tough races into the mix, and you might very well have gotten a quest to kill one of the toughest.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 09:18:04 am by Bloax »

oh_no

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 03:09:22 am »

What Bloax said. You need to factor in the size of your weapon, the size of the overlord, whether he was wearing a helm...
Rather than burning a tree, you could have just cut his throat.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 08:56:33 am »

What Bloax said. You need to factor in the size of your weapon, the size of the overlord, whether he was wearing a helm...
Rather than burning a tree, you could have just cut his throat.
You also need to factor in your SKILL. And if he's wearing a helmet, hitting his head is generally useless, just go for other bodyparts and make him blood to death.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 07:06:48 pm »

Elves start with wooden weapons, which AFAIK are completely useless for killing anything except fluffy wamblers.

If a creature has a throat, that's what you should strike for once they're unconscious. One cut or even a good bite will open a major artery, which means unavoidable death in a few turns. Throats are impossible to armor too, so all creatures that have a throat have this weakness.

You've got to be careful with fire, too. If you're adjacent to a square with fire on it, there's an excellent chance that you will catch on fire. You only get a warning after it's too late. If you are extremely lucky or playing as a very large creature, there is a small chance that you can survive with minor damage (having your fat melted away).
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Dokkir

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike the earth, in the name of !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 10:18:01 pm »

Eh, why not just go hang out with your trees. Save the hero stuff for the dwarves.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2012, 02:45:04 am »

Was it a vampire overlord? Those monsters are though, really though. It seems to me that they are sometimes, if not most of the times due to titans randomness, comparable to titans. They have shrines as well. I almost always end up killing them through bleeding them to death because decapitating them seems almost impossible, unless of course you are playing some super modded race (like I once was heh, had to try out some things).

Elves start with wooden weapons

If hes playing masterwork, then you can start out with mithril. Which is better than steel and good for anything when it comes to edged weapons.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2012, 12:10:36 pm »

Except that elves tend to start with Jittes, which are blunt weapons.

And mithril blunt weapons are, to put it in an understatement of the ages - not very good.

oh_no

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 05:53:08 am »

Except that elves tend to start with Jittes, which are blunt weapons.

And mithril blunt weapons are, to put it in an understatement of the ages - not very good.

Yeah, but if you put just one or two into a weaponskill then you often get the weapon you put into, which means you can easily get a mithril sword or whatever elves start out with (I never played an elf before tbh).

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 06:10:10 am »

Jittes are blunt swords.

oh_no

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 02:54:25 pm »

Jittes are blunt swords.

Eh, ok. Well... elves never made much sense anyway. Atleast tell me that thier spears are good.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 07:18:22 pm »

Jittes are blunt swords.
Making them the most redundant thing ever. It's like saying, "Oh, hey, let's build a house and not build a roof!"
Seriously? How... who... why... What is the purpose of a blunt sword!? The idiocy that would be required to even consider the mere existence of such a thing boggles my mind! Why!? Why does it exist!?
For training, you say? Use a training sword. Don't make a blunt sword and call it a decent weapon! It's a sodding BLUNT SWORD. You'd be better off using a pointy warhammer! At least that has a decent amount of force behind it!
Maybe, then, there is a time when jittes are useful. Like when you want to stab someone but not hurt the- OH RIGHT! TRAINING SWORDS!!
If anyone, ever, thought jittes were a good idea, I laugh at them.

OK, that's my rant for the day. You seen those warriors from the forest retreat? They've got blunt swords. Blunt. Swords.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Megaknite

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 08:19:22 pm »

Words
Imagine taking a solid iron rod about 2 feet long and bashing someone over the head with it. Now you're beginning to understand the jitte (jutte.) Anyway, traditionally they come from feudal Japan, where it was illegal to carry sword in the Shogun's palace, so the guards would carry these metal rods with hook near the handle to hook into clothes, body parts, disarm your opponent, etc. Outside of that, sometimes they would be sharpened like a sai, or with a sharp point, sometimes hidden in the handle. It even comes with its own martial art, juttejutsu. Then again, since this is Dwarf Fortress, a small blunt rod is a terrible weapon :P

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 08:24:43 pm »

so its a baton.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text
Pages: [1] 2