Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Would someone mind explaining the release Toady is working on?  (Read 4597 times)

flameaway

• Bay Watcher
  • Skeptical Optimist
    • View Profile
Would someone mind explaining the release Toady is working on?
« on: December 22, 2012, 12:12:00 pm »

I've been reading Toady's updates and the FOF stuff.  But I still don't really understand what the 'world' is Toady is working on.  Perhaps this is because I've only played in Fortress mode.  I haven't messed around with adventurer or legends yet.

Still considering he's been working on it for some months now it must be a pretty substantial change he is working on.

Also on a side note:  How is he pulling off the complexity?  Is it like Conway's game of "Life" where simple rules combine in ever more complex ways? 
1) What?  Hey! Give me a break; I'm just a complex series of chemical reactions going about my business.

2) Legalize Plump Helmets.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
Re: Would someone mind explaining the release Toady is working on?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 12:38:13 pm »

You know the Embark screen? Where you select the location?

That is the world.

But there is a lot more depth than you can see there - civilizations (see the [c] screen ingame) will migrate, etc. in worldgen, and the new release will let them do it during gameplay too.
Another feature is that you don't have to abandon to work on a new fort, but rather you can just leave the fort and come back to it later (of course, there are small penalties of disarray since dwarves are stupid)
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 12:42:37 pm »

Basically the game generates worlds, and you can play in them in the different modes. Currently, as soon as you first start playing in a world, generation is finished. No new creatures are born (except in your fort), no new sites are founded, civ leaders are not replaced if they die, no new wars start, existing wars don't end but no battles or conquests happen either. The world is frozen in time, only the player can affect things. You can explore this world in adventure mode, but it is a bit empty, as there are only human sites, none for the other races. In fort mode you can do lots of stuff, but only in your fort and your only interaction with the outside world is through annual caravans and invasions.
All this is going to change in upcoming versions (not sure if all of that changes in the next release). For example there will be sites for other races, sucession of leaders and more ways to interact with the world. Creatures will be born and die after you start playing. The goal is to have a world that is alive and continues to develop after you start playing.

Keshire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 01:12:13 pm »

And while a lot of people are focused on that, there are a couple of other aspects going in too. Like multi tile growing trees and the combat revamp. Adventure mode especially will probably feel like a different game.

Scott Cee

• Bay Watcher
  • a medium-sized humanoid prone to procrastination
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 01:32:47 pm »

I quite like the feeling of what TV Tropes used to call World Half Empty. No link, because I'm sure we all have things to do.
That feeling that the world, as soon as it was created by Armok, as soon as He turned His attention to other things, immediately started to decline without Him to make sure that people didn't just sit in their houses and tell you that they were a thresher, but that they ocassionally went out and did some threshing.

"You look like a mighty warrior."
"No, I'm just a guy with a sword trying to do the best he can in a world, and against a system, that won't ever change because it can't. What is life anyway, but a meaningless struggle against the inevitable? And know only that it will eventually end with your teeth sprayed out on the ground around what used to be your skull before someone or something smashed it through your brain."
"I wish I'd never asked."

That's Adventure mode.
Scott Cee Cancels Sleep : Playing Dwarf Fortress

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 04:20:35 pm »

Also on a side note:  How is he pulling off the complexity?  Is it like Conway's game of "Life" where simple rules combine in ever more complex ways?

Yes, to a degree. This gives rise to some of the hilarious bugs.

flameaway

• Bay Watcher
  • Skeptical Optimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 05:30:43 pm »

@Urist

Explain?
1) What?  Hey! Give me a break; I'm just a complex series of chemical reactions going about my business.

flameaway

• Bay Watcher
  • Skeptical Optimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 06:06:43 pm »

Is there a good forum thread that discusses how the game works?

Small things continually surprise me.  Like the animation of a well in action.  That's just really cool, like a bit of exposed clockwork in a vast machine.

Every tile playable, every choice customizable. An open gaming experience.

Of course it's like learning to control the weather to get everything working together.  Or maybe learning to play an instrument would be a better comparison, since the idea of leisure time being used in artful creation seems to be a central element of this games'... purpose?

Can't really think of a game that provides 'eureka moments' like this one.  Sure a lot of games include puzzles but the fun of puzzles is complete when they've been solved, no where to go except to offer another mostly unrelated puzzle.  In this game overcoming difficulties leads directly to greater freedom of action within the game.  (Like level unlocks but without the annoying meta game artifice.)

Leads to something more than just a gaming experience.  Becomes a method of expression that leaves work of art behind.

Urist McMontros

• Bay Watcher
  • HHNNNNNNNNNNNNNG
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 06:33:43 pm »

Becomes a method of expression that leaves work of art behind.

Like a giant stone phallus. Filled with lava.

flameaway

• Bay Watcher
  • Skeptical Optimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 06:57:35 pm »

Useless unless you can induce ejaculation.

:)

Urist McMontros

• Bay Watcher
  • HHNNNNNNNNNNNNNG
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 07:19:59 pm »

All about the pressure-inducing pumpstacks.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 07:37:26 pm »

All about the pressure-inducing pumpstacks.

Your avatar and personal text makes it so much worse (better?).
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2012, 07:32:14 am »

@Urist

Explain?
In truth, the rules are not that simple.

But there are many subsystems that work together to effect gameplay, and these failing to work together in unexpected way is the type of bug that Urist is talking about.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 11:25:50 am »

@Urist

Explain?

Found it. Have limited internet access at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=q9ZwVuGB_PI#t=4589s
Listen to the second bug in particular.

omg_scout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 01:50:58 pm »

This might be one of the best updates ever. I hope Toady played Paradox Crusader Kings at least once;) There are some good ideas concerning titles, dynasties, families etc. Toady is aiming in something similar  with his update, but also much, much more.
Pages: [1] 2