Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 36

Author Topic: Humans, and eventually a colony on Mars.  (Read 65457 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Humans, and eventually a colony on Mars.
« Reply #90 on: December 26, 2012, 02:19:03 am »

I believe the problem has to do with resonance rather than acceleration. The structure will be shaken apart.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: December 26, 2012, 03:23:05 am »

If poorly calculated and balanced, at least.

The advantage of the centrifuge in space rather than on the moon, is near zero energy requirements to maintain artificial gravity. On the moon, that definitely wouldn't be the case.

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 26, 2012, 04:38:46 am »

Why in space would a rotating object tear itself apart?  The entire point of the exercise is that you mimic gravity, i.e. the acceleration is 9.8 m/s.  If you apply a little logic to the situation for a moment you can see that we have plenty of macrostructures that withstand such acceleration, or else all our bridges would collapse and our skyscrapers would tumble...

But it's a tension load, not a compression load. Pushing together vs pulling apart.

Also, why am I still awake?
Signature goes here.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 26, 2012, 06:35:41 am »

So are the cables of suspension bridges. They'd probably use a lot of carbon fiber.
Out of balancesness causing the wheel to start to wobble is an issue, just due to the wobble itself, more than any structural one i think. It'd start precessing and eventually just start tumbling from what i remember of that unit of dynamics, so you'd need to be constantly making corrections.
Magma is overrated.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 26, 2012, 08:49:46 am »

But with any large structure, wobble would be minimal and easily corrected with some RCS.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 26, 2012, 11:53:29 am »

But it's a tension load, not a compression load. Pushing together vs pulling apart.

For most structural metals the tensile strengths and compressive strengths are very near approximations of each other within the elastic range.  When you are using a metal as a structural support you don't want to subject it to forces outside the elastic range.  It's only when you subject a metal to force that start to deform it in an inelastic fashion that the differences between compressive and tensile strength become significant but you dont want to be doing that with your structural steel or the like.  But I can see why you might bring this up, there are materials where that distinction is quite important.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 26, 2012, 04:06:06 pm »

If poorly calculated and balanced, at least.

The advantage of the centrifuge in space rather than on the moon, is near zero energy requirements to maintain artificial gravity. On the moon, that definitely wouldn't be the case.
Um.
Near-zero energy requirements to keep a centrifuge spinning? What universe are you in and how can I join?
And what makes space-centrifuges different than Lunar centrifuges?

Anyway, I think it's obvious that planetary settlements will always be needed. You know, for resources and such? I also suspect that planets will be much, much larger than any space structures we build for a very, very, very long time.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 26, 2012, 04:22:41 pm »

Well, you don't loose energy to friction at the hub in space. Also, probably easier without gravity.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 26, 2012, 04:28:49 pm »

Gravity, maybe, but the "no friction thing" doesn't sound right.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it that centrifugal force (centripetal?) provides an acceleration mimicking the acceleration from gravity?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 26, 2012, 04:29:49 pm »

Well, if you're doing a wheel on the moon, you're going to loose energy to friction that you wouldn't loose in space.

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 26, 2012, 04:42:28 pm »

Well, if you're doing a wheel on the moon, you're going to loose energy to friction that you wouldn't loose in space.

Not sure why energy is a big concern. The power requirements would be negligible compared to the amount needed to heat and cool the damn thing, keep the air fresh, and the water treated. It's basically a circular train.

And dont say "moving parts = more maintenance", because the mass balancing system you'd need on a freewheel is as, if not more, complex.
Signature goes here.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 26, 2012, 10:27:03 pm »

Well, if the ship was automatically spinning with the same velocity in a circle around it, it would be easier, I think.
That's probably be hard as fuck to calculate and execute though.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 26, 2012, 10:30:02 pm »

Rotating in general causes problem for spacecraft if you want to expand them. Or have any contact with the outside universe, actually.
Sig

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 26, 2012, 10:30:52 pm »

I can easily see a problem with the 'whole station is rotating' idea.

Namely, it's be harder for something to dock with it. Not impossible, but a lot harder.
It's be like Elite. A lot of dying. Or at least, it would be like that with me.

Why not have the dock in the middle of the flywheel. The docking apparatus just needs to be place on ball bearings and a motor to counter act the small amount of friction and you now a stationary, self adjustable dock.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 26, 2012, 10:35:00 pm »

Better.
Sig
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 36